PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visits with Airbrush

Doug Herzberg
05-27-2015, 6:02 PM
About a month ago, I posted the first photo, showing a CA stain around a crack I wasn't able to turn away. Fellow Creeker Steve Huffman kindly offered to stop by next time he was in town with his airbrush and disappear it for me. It already had several coats of WOP and some Carnauba wax buffed on when he arrived today, so we wiped it with MS and sanded away a section of WOP with 320 and then Steve went to work. He used black Transtint in lacquer thinner. The last photo is after two coats of WOP - it will take several more to rebuild the sheen. You can still see the CA stain if you try, but if you're not looking, it doesn't jump out at you like it used to. I call that a save.

Afterwards, Steve let me play with the airbrush a little. It was so fun I ordered one for myself. All in all, a great visit, a new friend, and a new toy for the shop.

Doug Ladendorf
05-27-2015, 6:38 PM
Yes, good save. That bowl has striking grain and spalting. Interesting how they are perpendicular.

Doug

Thom Sturgill
05-27-2015, 7:00 PM
... All in all, a great visit, a new friend, and a new toy for the shop.

Can't beat that! Good save is just icing!

Roger Chandler
05-27-2015, 7:15 PM
That is a nice save! Isn't it great that SMC brings special benefits like new friendships to fruition every once in a while! Classy thing that Steve did, and I am looking forward to your future posts with your new toys and skills, Doug!

David Delo
05-27-2015, 8:17 PM
That's quite the looker there Doug. I see why you wanted to save it.

charlie knighton
05-27-2015, 10:35 PM
good stuff Doug....Steve, nice of ya

Steve Huffman
05-28-2015, 8:43 AM
That was fun to finally meet up with Doug, and I have to say he sure has a beautiful home, shop setup, and has some fantastic turnings like the one above. Did I mention a barn full of wood? Yup, he's in the vortex for good. :D
I'm not sure I mentioned Doug, that when you get your airbrush, you might consider thinning your dyes with DNA if most of your finishing is done with WOP. In this case we would have wiped off the wax and tinted right over the poly, if fact, you still could add a bit more if you'd like, but not with the lacquer thinned dye I had. I'm finishing most of my turnings in spray lacquer now, so I would use the same thinner to dye with.
I'm curious, in the original turning, could you see the yellow stain after you sanded it, or after you applied the WOP? I ask because I'm thinking the WOP might be enhancing the stain...just thinking out loud.

Doug Herzberg
05-28-2015, 9:25 AM
I'm curious, in the original turning, could you see the yellow stain after you sanded it, or after you applied the WOP? I ask because I'm thinking the WOP might be enhancing the stain...just thinking out loud.

It was there from the beginning. I think the Watco DO added a yellow tinge to everything and might have enhanced the stain, but in my experience WOP doesn't change the color too much. I did find a little dye on the cloth after the first coat of WOP, so I may have erased some of your work like I did with the DO. I may try to add a little more with DNA as a carrier, but I'm tempted to leave it as is.

Thanks again for your help, Steve. I'm sure someone will love that bowl, which might have been firewood without your help.

Pat Scott
05-28-2015, 11:00 AM
I loved the bowl before, and that hasn't changed now! That's cool to meet and make a new friend like that.

Doug Herzberg
05-28-2015, 7:51 PM
That's cool to meet and make a new friend like that.

Pat, I enjoyed meeting you, too. We just didn't spend much time together. Maybe next time.