PDA

View Full Version : What size Kelton Hollowers?

Brian Kent
05-27-2015, 12:02 PM
What size Kelton Hollowers or John Jordans or equivalent for making beech hollow forms 6" deep on the inside, 2-3/4" across on the inside, with a 1-1/4" opening. I may be making a lot of these.

Thanks

I am working on a Delta 46-460 if that matters

And after reading many threads, I realize that any hollowers I get now should be chosen buy their ability to fit into a captured system.
The photo is a sample of what I am getting this for.

Wes Ramsey
05-27-2015, 2:34 PM
No suggestions, but man I love #4.

Brian Kent
05-27-2015, 2:39 PM
Thank you, Wes. That is also the most recent one.

Reed Gray
05-27-2015, 2:54 PM
I have the Kelton hollowers, and always use the heaviest ones when I can. Less chatter.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
05-27-2015, 4:45 PM
Rolly Munro? Don't own the Keltons. I like the Munro cutters though. For hand held. Yes I know there is a price difference, but if you're making a lot, may be worth the investment. Just my $0.02.

Pat Scott
05-28-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't do a lot of hollowing, but I own the Mike Jackofsky Hollow Pro and Rocket hollowing tools. These use an adjustable carbide cutter set at a negative angle (don't have to sharpen the carbide often like you do a Kelton/Jordan tool, and the negative angle means easier to control). In the Hollow Pro line, I have the 1/2" and 5/8" sizes. They use a square bar which also gives more control on the tool rest. For a 6" depth you could use either size tool. Mike has a lot more information on his website (mikejackofsky.com). I recommend the smaller #1 cutter as it's less grabby.

nelson lasaosa
05-30-2015, 10:52 PM
very nice vases, and there are details that set them apart: the rope around the necks, and the fact they look akin, with Little diferences in size and shape. I do think they look very nice, but may I add that a bit stain and sand paper to highlight grain a bit, would take them from a basic finish to an artistic level, thereby enhancing the look , and the Price you could sell for ... great production work !