PDA

View Full Version : off topic internet question

aurelio alarcon
08-12-2005, 7:35 AM
I am changing internet providers. I cannot afford DSl or Broadband right now. I will be getting Dial up service. Does the accelerated dial up really move a lot faster?

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-12-2005, 7:43 AM
I give my ISP $5 a month for the 'accelerator'. I see a little difference...but I wouldn't pay much more than $5 for it.

aurelio alarcon
08-12-2005, 7:48 AM
I give my ISP $5 a month for the 'accelerator'. I see a little difference...but I wouldn't pay much more than $5 for it.
Thanks KC! I have dial up right now. I know that it is slow compared to others. But I really don't mind waiting a few seconds. I gues if I downloaded a lot of stuff, it would matter a great deal.

CPeter James
08-12-2005, 7:57 AM
I use "Propel" and it really does make a big difference. I think you can try it for free.

http://www.propel.com/

Also some browsers are faster than others, try Firefox, also it is free.

http://www.mozilla.org/

CPeter

aurelio alarcon
08-12-2005, 7:59 AM
I use "Propel" and it really does make a big difference. I think you can try it for free.

http://www.propel.com/

Also some browsers are faster than others, try Firefox, also it is free.

http://www.mozilla.org/

CPeter
cool! thanks. I did a search and Propel came up. I'll check it out.

Les Smith 71
08-12-2005, 8:05 AM
I just got DSL through SBC. They are charging me 14.95 a month. I paying 9.95 for Netzero so I went ahead and switched. There are a lot of dial up that cost more than that. I know that Netzero's accelerated service doesn't feel any faster, at least at my place. The SBC offer is probably only for new customers (which I was), so I'm not sure how you might fit in.

aurelio alarcon
08-12-2005, 8:11 AM
I just got DSL through SBC. They are charging me 14.95 a month. I paying 9.95 for Netzero so I went ahead and switched. There are a lot of dial up that cost more than that. I know that Netzero's accelerated service doesn't feel any faster, at least at my place. The SBC offer is probably only for new customers (which I was), so I'm not sure how you might fit in.
I looked into that. Unfortunately, they don't offer it in my area, or I wouold have gotten it. I was using compuserve, but it cost so much more than NetZero. I am using NetZero Free Version (trying out) right now and it is as fast as my Compuserve for half the price. I will probably get the paid version of NetZero. I just wasn't sure if the accelerated version is worth the extra 5 bucks.

Stefan Antwarg
08-12-2005, 8:57 AM
My experience with the accelerated service is save the $5. To me, it actually slowed things down. Dial-up isn't too bad if you don't download big files. As long as you are connecting over 50 kbs. But for the past 2 months, my connection has only been hovering around 30. It is just horrible. One day you will have no dial tone. Then the phone company will fix the cable. Then your speed will go way down. And they won't do anything about it. That's what happened to me. As soon as Satallite internet is a little cheaper, I'm getting that

Stefan

Bruce Volden
08-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I live in rural South Dakota and at best connected at 19.2 - 24.6K. I downloaded an accelerator called Artera. It doesn't increase download speed at all, but I can "turn pages" (go to other sites) suprisingly fast, very noticeable difference!!! Also I can block any "pop-ups" that may occur by copying and pasting it into the console. Can't remember what I pay but I'm sure it's less than $5, I pay for 6 months at a time. I will continue paying. Broadband is just around the corner as much construction is happening in the area. Bruce

aurelio alarcon
08-12-2005, 11:00 AM
thanks for all your guys' input.

Jim Becker
08-12-2005, 11:14 AM
The accelleration is merely what is called "caching"...they store web content on their own servers so it can be served up to you faster (in appearance). The issue comes down to what are you trying to access. It will do nothing for you for something like SMC, news, etc., as that content is constantly changing. So the accelleration is really only effective for static sites.

aurelio alarcon
08-12-2005, 3:47 PM
The accelleration is merely what is called "caching"...they store web content on their own servers so it can be served up to you faster (in appearance). The issue comes down to what are you trying to access. It will do nothing for you for something like SMC, news, etc., as that content is constantly changing. So the accelleration is really only effective for static sites.
Thanks Jim! To all who have helped out...a greatful thanks. I will pass on the acceleration and save the extra 5 buck each month.