PDA

View Full Version : Free woodworking classes?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2015, 9:54 AM
Has anyone signed for Woodcraft's "free online woodworking classes" being offered recently?

I notice Andy Rae has one now on setting up and using your bandsaw.

Whenever someone offers me something for "free", I look for the catch.....:confused:

Roy Harding
05-27-2015, 11:24 AM
I haven't seen those particular ones, but I have seen others. Usually, they are a way to draw you into the site, and hi-lite some particular tool or jig. This does not negate their usefulness, just be aware that they are possibly slanting the presentation toward their own product.

Heck, I do something similar at Farmers Markets. I have a small mobile workbench that I take with me, and give demonstrations/lessons on such things as hand cut dovetails, sharpening chisels/planes, etcetera, as well as anything else that people may ask about. Although I do it (mostly) because I love the craft, and enjoy sharing my joy in it, it's also a good way to draw people into my stall - they often leave after having made a purchase, just as a momento.

John A langley
05-27-2015, 12:21 PM
I looked at that I think the first one is free then you have to sign up for the classes ,if my memory serves me correctly

Doug Ladendorf
05-27-2015, 1:35 PM
The bandsaw one is free. The others are $30 or so. Partnered with Craftsy.

Phil Mueller
05-28-2015, 1:30 PM
I've attended a few paid classes. Nice thing is, in both cases, not a word about buying whatever it is they are using...I suppose it goes without saying that it is available for sale, but appreciated not being "encouraged"

Mike Heidrick
05-28-2015, 2:09 PM
I took a free bandsaw class at woodcraft once. It went over the features of the Rikon 18" at the time - it was NOT a woodcraft person "teaching". I walked out of there wanting one. I think come people actually bought one right then. The class went over the features of a lot of bandsaws and how to somewhat tune them up. All the cool Rikon's features were covered very well.

Ron Teti
05-29-2015, 4:56 AM
u tube is your friend, there are so many sites with information such as the American wood shop, NYW, Ana-White.com etc that have a lot of tutorials that unless I'm learning something from a actual pro such. Peter Sefton or Paul Sellers that I wouldn't bother.

David Sloan
04-18-2017, 8:44 AM
Has anyone signed for Woodcraft's "free online woodworking classes" being offered recently?

I notice Andy Rae has one now on setting up and using your bandsaw.

Whenever someone offers me something for "free", I look for the catch.....:confused:

I know this is an old thread but I am just now watching Andy Rae's free bandsaw videos on Craftsy. I think it's excellent. There were several other free videos available when I signed up for Craftsy. I went ahead and also paid $19.95 for a mult episode series on dovetails which I thought was worth the money. If you look at the woodworking offerings on Craftsy there are at least twenty short courses. Kevin Rodel has a couple I noted. There is another on Greene and Greene furniture techniques. Thought I would mention this as many of you might not be aware of Craftsy (I know, the name 'Craftsy' is not the most compelling!).