PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a 1 hp spindle sander . . .

Don Frambach
05-27-2015, 3:46 AM
I've convinced myself (and most importantly SWMBO) that I need a 1 hp oscillating spindle sander. That decided, I'm having trouble figuring out which one is best for me.

The Grizzly ($725) offering is cheapest but I'm seen scary internet posts about how difficult it is to change the spindles.
The Shop Fox is (~$1000) more expensive but has a larger table.
The Jet is still more expensive (~$1200)

All three of these look very similar (and may have identical spindle issues) but it appears to me that the Jet might have better fit and finish. (ex from internet photos, it appears as though the dust shroud near the spindle is sharp sheet metal in the Grizzly and a much nicer casting in the Jet)

Jet has just come out with a new 1 hp spindle sander that has a spindle lock for easier spindle changes and a rubber contraption that is supposed to make dust collection better. Sadly its even more expensive at about $1500. Not that weight is necessarily a sign of anything but it looks like the new sander is substantially lighter that its predecessor.

Can anyone who has experience with these spindle sanders help me make this decision?

Cary Falk
05-27-2015, 4:47 AM
I have the Grizzly G1071. I don't think the spindles are very hard to change. Most of the time I can unscrew them by hand. The table had a bow in it when I got it but a few well placed shims between the trunnion and table made it dead flat except for the very edge of the corners. My stamped steel inserts for the drums are not flat. I am in the middle of making some corian inserts. It's not a high priority. Other than that it is a great machine. The shop fox will be the same as the Grizzly except you will get a 2 year warranty(put it on a credit card that double the warranty and that problem is solved.) I would bet most of the parts are interchangeable on the Jet as well.

ian maybury
05-27-2015, 1:16 PM
Do those machines tie you to buying OEM sanding sleeves, and if so are they expensive?

Jim German
05-27-2015, 1:52 PM
Have you considered the Ridgid one? Its only $200 and works quite well. Obviously the top is not cast iron, and its a bit smaller. However its also pretty lightweight and can be put away when not in use, plus it also can switch to be an oscillating belt sander.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2015, 2:27 PM
Do those machines tie you to buying OEM sanding sleeves, and if so are they expensive?

Ian,

I just checked Klinspoor. They make every diameter in the proper length but the 5" long sleeves. They make an 4 1/2" long sleeve. The 6" and 9" long sleeves are readily available.

Cary Falk
05-27-2015, 4:00 PM
Industrial Abrasive also has 4 1/2, 6 nd 9" sleeves.
http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-sleeves-replacement-abrasive-spindle-sleeves-c-77_99.html?page=2&sort=20a

ian maybury
05-27-2015, 4:25 PM
Ta guys, that eases that angle….

Rick Potter
05-28-2015, 4:20 AM
Ian,

The 9" spindles are handy, as you can mount two grits of 4 1/2 on the spindle. A quick sub table with formica on top makes it easy to use both without changing the spindle. Coarse on top with the sub table, then pull off the table to use the finish grit on the bottom.

Carroll Courtney
05-28-2015, 7:11 AM
Don if this spindle sander going to help make you a living then get the best but for us hobbyist type people then one that is cheaper for the occasional user like myself works .You are looking at the same ones that I look at when I purchase mine.Not knowing much about either one I went with the cheaper one but again I knew its one of those tools that won't be use that much.(kinda like a drum sander)I went with the Griz and it fits me perfectly,its nice and HD but like others has said the spindles are alittle pain to change.The wrenches thats ship with the sander did not even fit nothing on the machine(poorly made).But like Cary,I turn the spindles by hand till it bottoms out then that's it.You may at times need couple wrenches to remove the spindle(one for backup,other to loosen) but over all I am happy with it and its nice to use.Good luck with your purchase

Martin Wasner
05-28-2015, 7:11 AM
I just got the Jet. Same thing as the grizzly, I couldn't bring myself to have anything grizzly in my shop though.

The jet is not a very good machine, very cheap, and it is noisier than I think it should be. I can only imagine which extra corners were cut on the cheaper models.

Cary Falk
05-28-2015, 7:54 AM
The jet is not a very good machine, very cheap, and it is noisier than I think it should be. I can only imagine which extra corners were cut on the cheaper models.

I wouldn't call the Grizzly silent but it is very quiet. I would say it makes about as much noise as a drill press.

J. Greg Jones
05-28-2015, 8:18 AM
I have the Shop Fox, and like it very much. I picked it over the Grizzly as it has a slightly larger table and tilts forward 45 degrees as well as back 20 degrees. The white Shop Fox also fit in well the the various Jet tools I have, but in this case I couldn't see buying the Jet sander. In addition to the higher price, the Jet has stamped steel trunnions where both the Grizzly and Shop Fox have cast trunnions. The Shop Fox can also be wired for 240v if that is of any interest to you.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/2m0r3e022R44341P2P1R/SF01.jpg

glenn bradley
05-28-2015, 8:31 AM
I went with the G0529 after having the Ridgid. I also have a Jet oscillating belt sander though. The 5-1/2" spindle is more than tall enough for my type of work although the combo unit has a smaller spindle table so this may not be an option for you. Spindle changes are easy and drums are available from many sources. I added drawers to the base as nothing gets to take up that kind of footprint in my shop without providing decent storage.

314504 . 314503

Mine is also whisper-quiet. There's nothing to really make any noise in these machines; a little motor whir and the oscillating gears in motion is about it. I actually get more noise from the air whipped up by the disc than anything :confused:

Cary Falk
05-28-2015, 8:46 AM
Grizzly and Shop Fox have cast trunnions.

I hate it when Mr. Balolia uses cheaper parts to keep costs down.:mad:
;)

Rick Potter
05-28-2015, 1:15 PM
I picked up a used Jet for $500. Works fine, not too much to go wrong with these machines. A friend has an Enlon (later Star) machine that is at least 30 years old. Looks just like the new ones, nothing much has changed.

About those steel trunions, my Jet has them, and they are partially steel, and partially cast. I see no problem with that. It is not like you will be dropping a sheet of MDF on it, like a table saw. The trunions on my Jet seem quite heavy duty for what it is.

Mine is about as quiet as my drill press also. Martin, you might want to check the oil level in yours.

John C Bush
05-28-2015, 3:25 PM
I have the G1071 and like it. Spindle removal isn't difficult, removing the sleeves can be a pita. I had to tear them off to remove them but now, thanks to an SMCer suggestion--put the spindle in the freezer to get the old sleeve off, sprinkle on talcum powder, refreeze as needed and slide on new sleeve. The top of the 9" sleeves rarely get used so I remove the sleeve, spin it 180, slide it back on the spindle. Ian's idea of using two grits and making a secondary elevated table is a great idea. Noise is no problem, dust collection enhanced by taping air baffles to help flow, sleeves are a little spendy but still a valuable machine to have.

Martin Wasner
05-28-2015, 7:01 PM
Mine is about as quiet as my drill press also. Martin, you might want to check the oil level in yours.

Half way up the sight glass.

I'd say mine's as noisy as a drill press as well. I was surprised at how noisy it was. Mine won't get used much, but I had said to myself enough times that I wish I had one, I decided to pull the trigger.