PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup free in a "commercial" shop

Bruce Darrow
05-26-2015, 11:29 PM
I work in the woodshop at a major New England ski resort. I have been using the free version of Sketchup for a good number of years to design and build various projects for the resort. A recent computer change and complete tie in with our IS folks has raised the question as to whether or not I (we) have been in violation of professional use restrictions and whether or not I (we) need to be using the professional version. BTW, I also use it (free version) at home, for my own and thus far non commercial use. I am posting from there.

95% of what I do at work is not sold - it is installed or placed in and around our facilities, with the various departments (culinary services, banquets, mountain operations, ticket sales, etc.) charged internally for my time and the materials used (my department is building maintenance). I have very occasionally done work for condo owners.

So for all you sketchup users out there - do you consider this scenario commercial use? Have I (we) been in violation? I tend to think not, by and large, but I'll bow to the common wisdom. BTW, this is the first I've even been aware of the commercial restrictions - yes, I know - ignorance of the law is no excuse........

Thanks for your input.

Bruce

Jamie Buxton
05-26-2015, 11:47 PM
If you're getting paid to use the program, isn't that using it professionally?

Dan Hintz
05-27-2015, 6:26 AM
There's no question... you're breaking the TOS.

Mike Phillips
05-27-2015, 6:34 AM
Your use is clearly commercial. Look at the bright side. The paid version has more features.

Dave Richards
05-27-2015, 6:52 AM
I would agree with the rest. You are using SketchUp commercially and are violating the TOS. Your employer should purchase a pro license.

Bruce Darrow
05-27-2015, 10:20 AM
It appears to be unanimous. Live and learn. Thanks for the feedback. Will rectify.