PDA

View Full Version : Glue-proof surface?

Brian Kent
05-26-2015, 11:22 PM
I want to make a platform / jig that I can clamp some laminated glue-ups to. I can figure out how to do that.
I can use waxed paper on the jig so that it does not glue the piece to it.

But I would like a robust surface that does not need waxed paper each time.

Is there any kind of finish that I could apply to the jig that regular wood glue will not stick to?

Thanks
Brian

John Lankers
05-26-2015, 11:27 PM
How about Melamine, glue pops right off and it's cheap to replace if necessary.

Andrew Hughes
05-26-2015, 11:38 PM
I use packing tape to cover my forms for bent laminations.Mdf form covered with cork and then the packing tape.

Mark W Pugh
05-27-2015, 7:27 AM
Glue on some laminate to glue up surfaces, if you have any extra lying around.

Cary Falk
05-27-2015, 8:08 AM
I would use formica.

edit to add "or a coat of wax"

Roy Harding
05-27-2015, 8:24 AM
All excellent suggestions, to which I would add - I use shellac on my shop made clamping cauls.

glenn bradley
05-27-2015, 8:38 AM
I use packing tape as well. It does need occasional replacement depending on use. I also have tempered hardboard surfaces that have been shellac'd and paste waxed. Glue pops right off, I refresh the wax about once a year. My workbench is MDF flooded with BLO, let fully cure and then paste wax. Glue has been popping of of it for years; again I re-wax about once a year.

Bill Huber
05-27-2015, 8:45 AM
I have a few jigs that I use to do glue ups with and I keep a good layer of Johnsons wax on them and it really works good.
Any glue that does dry on the jig just pops right off.

Mike Wilkins
05-27-2015, 9:15 AM
A nice wax coat on Melamine has worked well for me. If it is a curved surface, you could try making the curved form, then put a layer of plastic laminate on it, then a good coat of wax. Or just tape some wax paper to the surface. Cheap and easy.

Randy Red Bemont
05-27-2015, 9:18 AM
I've used both melamine and a laminate with great results.

Red

William A Johnston
05-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I use some left over HDPE, it works great. I had (3) sheets left over from a project a few years ago that the customer supplied the material and did not want the leftover back. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.png

Bill

Rick Potter
05-27-2015, 2:57 PM
My melamine workbench top is pock marked with spots where the glue did not come right off. Then again, I never waxed it either. On the other hand, my outfeed table is covered with formica, and glue always pops right off. It also has never been waxed.

Obviously, my vote is for laminate.

Myk Rian
05-27-2015, 3:05 PM
Melamine is good for shelving. Nothing else.
Formica/laminate is really good.

Kent A Bathurst
05-27-2015, 3:15 PM
Glue-proof surface?

"The more critical a joint is to the integrity of the finished project, the more likely the glue will not adhere".

The Theorem of Joint Failures

Prashun Patel
05-27-2015, 3:23 PM
As long as you're using PVA glue, most any finish will allow the glue to pop off. However, I too find like Rick that 'pop off' doesn't mean 'looks perfect after pop off'. I am partial to shellac for this reason. it will confirm to curves, won't contaminate your laminate edges, and can occasionally be abraded and refinished.

In reality, on my jigs and benches, I use ANY can of finish that is lying around (and I have a million of them), and everything but pure oil works pretty well.

Dan Hintz
05-27-2015, 5:05 PM
I use some left over HDPE, it works great.

HDPE is about the best you'll get for most types of glue you'll encounter...

Wade Lippman
05-27-2015, 7:53 PM
HDPE is about the best you'll get for most types of glue you'll encounter...

Naw, silicon is the best. But a big enough sheet is probably impractical.

Dave Cav
05-27-2015, 11:03 PM
Another vote for Formica/laminate. I made a small platform for just that purpose. It's about 2' x 2' plywood with cross bracing on the back and a piece of scrap laminate on the top. I use it for gluing up blanks for segmented bowls and the like. Glue scrapes right off.

Keith Hankins
05-28-2015, 12:26 PM
I would use formica.

edit to add "or a coat of wax"

+1. I have that on all my veneering backer boards. Works like a charm (not epoxy).

Larry Edgerton
06-02-2015, 1:22 PM
What I use for that is Versatex. Cheaper than HDPE and works just as well. Available in 1/2" 4x8 sheets for about $90. I use a piece to squeeze glue on when using a brush as well, let dry and the glue peels right off and use it again.

Larry

John T Barker
06-02-2015, 3:29 PM
Finish. You know, the kind they use in woodworking.