PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat - New saw in the shop

Don Baer
08-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I happened upon this vintage jig saw and was able to pick it up for less then a song. It was free. I spent some time cleaning it up. Added a Belt and motor pulley, added some oil to the thinge that makes the blade go up and down (30 weight motor oil) and tried it out. This is a old Craftsman. It has a cutting 24 Inch dept a 14" table and is all cast iron. It weights in at about 50 lbs. and can accept any blad size from 5"-8".
I am sure that it will be a fun tool. Please excuse the poor picture quality but my wife has the digital camara so I had to use my camara phone.

John Hart
08-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Isn't it great bring old tools back to life? Well done Don!

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Very cool Don, congrats on the vintage saw!!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
08-12-2005, 1:50 AM
Nice score Don. It's always great when the freebies turn out to be something very cool under all the dirt and grime.

- Vaughn

Mike Cutler
08-12-2005, 5:23 AM
That's really cool. It looks like it belongs in an old tools exhibit. Cute little bear you cut out. ;)

Dale Rodabaugh
08-12-2005, 7:38 AM
It reminds me of an old Craftsman jig saw I picked up a couple of years ago.The price wasnt that good though.I think I paid about $280,for it and a Craftsman lathe.Bought them from an older auctioneer.Both were 1950 models,complete with owners manuals,etc.,and they both work like new.The saw takes the newer scroll saw blades from Sears.I havent used either one that much,but they sure look good sitting in the shop.Hope to have some time this coming winter to start using the lathe.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Alan Turner
08-12-2005, 7:54 AM
Nice recovery. It looks much like the one I just gave away, including the blue.

Steve Roxberg
08-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Very good find, it should be a good saw.

Build a belt guard and cover that thing up, the looks of an open belt scares me. :eek:

Don Baer
08-12-2005, 1:10 PM
Thanks Guys.
Steve your right about the belt guard, thats high on the list along with an On/Off switch since it doesn't have one. The only way to turn this guy off is by unplugging it. Now I need to learn how to use this puppy

Chris Padilla
08-13-2005, 2:07 AM
Very nice! It is great to bring back old tools!

Brian Hale
08-13-2005, 6:16 AM
Nice Score Don! Do you plan on a complete restoration or just enough to keep it usable?

It's good to see folks keeping the old iron alive!

Brian :)