PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

JERRY JACKSON
05-26-2015, 8:43 PM
After many months of research here and at other forums, I finally ended up with a new machine.

My original plan was to import directly from China and deal with whatever issues came up with shipping, customs, bad parts, broken tube, etc. All that changed when an opportunity finally fell into my lap (which I had been pursuing for months) for a laser cutting job which paid for a significant percentage of the BossLaser LS-2436 I ended up purchasing. Having no prior experience with lasers, however, with many years of experience with many other things CNC - including an extensive background with electronics and software development (CNC related and otherwise) - I was not worried about solving any problems I'd run into. Especially given the wealth of knowledge I could tap into here with the search function or by asking questions.

This cutting job I got was time sensitive to the point that waiting on shipping and customs would have cost me the opportunity to get this work - and possibly some more of it later. Next thing in my decision making process was the fact that BossLaser is 1.3 miles away from my machine shop - and they had the machine I wanted in stock - and my impression after meeting with them for a demo was good. So I placed my order and very soon thereafter I hauled my new laser cutting machine back to the shop.

Less than 90 minutes out of the crate I was already making test cuts and engravings. Over the next few days I had a few minor problems (self induced) and BossLaser was VERY fast and helpful in getting me taken care of. Major props to Robbie at BossLaser for helping me out quickly! I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I'm located so close to them either.

I "finished" my installation as follows:

wired up dedicated separate power for the laser, CW5000 cooler, and exhaust fan - including conveniently located switches for power to the chiller and exhaust fan.
replaced the soft silicone rubber air-assist tubing with proper harder nylon tubing so I can run a lot more PSI.
ditched the supplied air compressor and hooked it up to the shop air supply, which is already very clean and dried air, along with a dedicated regulator and a series of water separators and coalescing oil removers - including a conveniently located 1/4 turn ball valve to turn on/off the air supply.
ditched the supplied exhaust fan and hooked up a Harbor Freight green dust collector fan which exhausts very well through 45 feet of 6 inch metal ducting out the side of the building. No matter what I am cutting, there is zero visible smoke buildup in the cabinet. Provides enough suction that a sheet of paper is easily held against the front opening below the lid.
plugged in the ethernet cable and assigned the RDC6442G with an IP address so I can easily transfer programs to it via the network. Discovered, at least for me, this is MUCH faster than the USB connection in transferring the programs.

Here's some photos if anyone is curious.

Jerry

gary l roberts
05-26-2015, 9:07 PM
Welcome. No doubt you can learn from this group but I think we might learn a few things from you as well.
Congrats on joining the world of burners.

Joe Pelonio
05-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Welcome, and congratulations on your new purchase, and getting it up and running so fast!

JERRY JACKSON
05-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Welcome, and congratulations on your new purchase, and getting it up and running so fast!

Thanks. BossLaser had it dialed in before I hauled it away. I was able to draw from all the research/reading I had done combined with my other CNC experience such that it was a plug-n-play event. More importantly I was able to get my cutting job running quickly and have already delivered 50% of the job in only 3 weeks and should have the rest finished in 2 more weeks. All that plus some playing in between with making acrylic signs, wood engraving, wood boxes, and other little things.

Jeff Body
05-26-2015, 11:22 PM
WOW! You're in Sanford. I'm over here in Tavares and I had NO idea Bosslaser was so close.

I think I may have to look them up when I'm ready to upgrade.
Congrats on your purchase.

JERRY JACKSON
05-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Welcome. No doubt you can learn from this group but I think we might learn a few things from you as well.
Congrats on joining the world of burners.

All the great information here has filled my knowledge gaps to the extent I can probably figure out how to solve whatever I encounter - even if it is learning by trial and error.

If anyone thinks I could help with something - or has questions about the BossLaser 2436 - just ask!

I'm probably going to end up with another burner sooner than later as I have some more engraving focused work coming (maybe) and while this 150 watt tube is fantastic for the cutting I am doing, it is not well suited for the engraving I may be doing. I tried running some Rowmark LaserMax and while it worked sort of - my tube will not fire at under 15% - so it was blasting the material pretty good. I'll probably buy a relatively inexpensive x700 type machine in the 50-60 watt range with an appropriate lens and give it a go.

JERRY JACKSON
05-26-2015, 11:43 PM
WOW! You're in Sanford. I'm over here in Tavares and I had NO idea Bosslaser was so close.

I think I may have to look them up when I'm ready to upgrade.
Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks!

You're only 40 minutes away give or take. You should definitely pay them a visit when you're ready.

Let me know if you have questions about them, or if you want to see my BossLaser in action.

Mike Null
05-27-2015, 8:51 AM
Jerry

Welcome to SMC. Nice to hear about your positive experience. Keep us posted with pics of your work if you can show them.

Joe Lemere
05-28-2015, 8:18 AM
Welcome! I own the LS-1630, Good machine. Aside from a bad chiller, which they replaced, all has been well with mine.

JERRY JACKSON
05-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Welcome! I own the LS-1630, Good machine. Aside from a bad chiller, which they replaced, all has been well with mine.

I had originally ordered the LS-1630 with 90 watt tube as it was big enough for the work I had to do, then changed it the next day to the LS-2436 for the sake of future possibilities and the cabinet being larger to more easily fit the 150 watt 2000mm long tube I ended up with. I was close to going with the LS-3650, however, the floor space I had readily available was not quite enough for it.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
05-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Jerry,

Great installation! It will be fun watching your progress. Welcome to the group!

Bob

Bill George
05-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Nice to have another machinist on here, granted mine is only a hobby machine shop but your like me with a history of CNC.