PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want to help me date a Stanley 45?

Evan Ryan
05-25-2015, 7:44 PM
This 45 was in a tool chest that I bought this weekend. I looked around the web for a couple of hours to date this plane. I think it's pre 1900.
I figured creekers would be able to date this plane, figure out the type and let me know what pieces (if any) are missing.
There's no box, and the wooden cutter holder doesn't have a label.
Enjoy the pictures and let me know if you want more photos of knobs, totes, screws, etc.
There was another plane tote in the chest, and it does not fit onto the 45's rods. Initially I thought it was part of the 45, now I think it's part of another combination plane that's gone.
More photos TK...

Evan Ryan
05-25-2015, 7:46 PM
Photos of the 45...

Evan Ryan
05-25-2015, 7:49 PM
There are 18 cutters in the box and there's one cutter in the plane. I can't get the cutter out of the plane.
I pushed and pulled it with my hands and it didn't move or come loose. I've never used a 45 so I'm not gonna force it until I know how it's supposed to work.

Jim Koepke
05-25-2015, 8:11 PM
Evan,

Welcome to the Creek. There isn't a location listed in your profile. I am always curious as to where folks call home. At my age it is hard to remember everyone.

Your plane looks to be a type 2 or possibly a type 3. Those were made from approx.1886 to 1889. Your fence has had a piece of wood added. The other plane body looks like it was repaired. I am not sure if it is even a Stanley or might be a Sargent made plane.

Here is a link to some more information:

http://www.oldtooluser.com/typestudy/stanno45combplanetypestudy.htm

jtk

Evan Ryan
05-25-2015, 8:45 PM
Thank you Jim.
I am in Chicago.
I wanted to try a 45 for cutting tongue and grooves and was happy to find this one in the tool chest. But I feel like I jumped too quickly into this purchase. I get over excited when I find old tools irl.
Jim, if I wanted to sell this plane, should I clean it and use it for a while in hopes of selling it as a user or are these collectible?

Mel Miller
05-25-2015, 10:38 PM
The first 2 pictures are the body of a fairly scarce L. Bailey Victor #14 Combination plane. It's sadly missing the most valuable parts. The fence is a type 1 #45 but the wood piece has been added. The cutters are early 45.

Evan Ryan
05-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Thank you Mel. I didn't know about the Bailey victor 14, and I don't have the other parts, damn. Someone added the wood and screwed it thought the fence.

Jim Koepke
05-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Jim, if I wanted to sell this plane, should I clean it and use it for a while in hopes of selling it as a user or are these collectible?

With the added wood to the fence I am not sure there is a lot of collector value. Not sure if it would sell for enough to purchase a better user. Some collectors might be interested in the blades. Too bad the box is missing the top and one corner. It still has the spare spurs attached.

The addition of a blade adjuster and then the later change of the rods going through the body instead of being threaded makes the planes after type 7 more desirable as users. The addition of the adjustable fence was the last great improvement as long as the locking screw hasn't gone missing.

Not having a blade depth adjuster isn't a deal killer since you already own the plane. It is just a touch finicky. Once the blade is set though it will work fine.

I can't get the cutter out of the plane.

The large wing nut on the side is for the blade locking bolt. You may have to remove the wing nut and lightly tap the bolt to release the blade. A little penetrating oil might help.

jtk