PDA

View Full Version : "A glider rocker that's built for a pro wrestler..."

Joe Unni
08-11-2005, 5:06 PM
...was the request.

Hey all.

I had to take my 5 year old daughter to the pediatrician today and I just happened to have hard copy project photos that I had just picked up from my website developer (still under development). The doc asked to see them. She seemd to really like what she saw. She asked if I could make glider rockers. I said sure.

Picture a cute little Asian lady with a somewhat broken English voice (just as cute) say, "You need to make very strong, some of my moms aren't like your wife [thin]. You need to build for pro wrestler!"

I told her I'd do some research and come up with a plan. She wants four!

Can you guys (used generically) please point me in the right direction with regard to either existing plans or a method for development?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. If this flys, her office is in a pretty big money town and could really increase my exposure.

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Michael Ballent
08-11-2005, 5:16 PM
Not sure about the plans, but would think that the stress points would be at the glider hardware. I know that Rockler sells the hardware, but I do not know the amount of weight they can take... I suppose you could put in a third set in the middle to "spread the load" so to speak ;) but you will need to place them VERY accurately, since you will have 3 points attached that need to move in parallel.

Larry Reimer
08-11-2005, 6:25 PM
Joe, I can't help you much with plans. I've had a few glider rockers in the shop for repair after an encounter with a gravity challenged individual. (these have all come from the same place that seems to attract them). What I've seen is the piece (side apron?) supporting the seat will fail dramatically. This side apron will have the lower bearings for the glider set into it 1/2" but nothing will show on the face side.

My opinion is that these bearings need to be supported all the way through that apron (yes, you'll see the head of the bolt or whatever). I have never found a bearing or support system I thought would work.

What I've done in past is be very careful and "picky" about stock selection (grain direction) and just replace the piece as it was built originally. I'll take it back and suggest that the glider rockers be placed in a less inviting place. I've not had one of my repairs come back again, but I think that's just luck because the gravity challenged individual chose to sit another place.

Don Baer
08-11-2005, 7:12 PM
Joe,
This might be of some help.

http://www.specialtyfurnituredesigns.com/site/812359/page/289831

Tom Jones III
08-12-2005, 8:52 AM
I built a glider bench big enough for 2 people. The glider was based on plans and hardware from Rockler. I saw the same problem with the hardware that Larry did, but the Rockler plans seem to use them well. This glider will withstand some serious punishment. I tested it with about 500 lbs and it held up beautifully.