PDA

View Full Version : Bench Top Drill Press Recommendation??

Thomas Norton
05-23-2015, 5:10 PM
My 25 year old Delta floor model drill press has too much run out at the spindle. I have tried to fix it but I think it is just time for a replacement. Since I do not really need the size of a floor model I was thinking of a bench model which would allow me to build a storage stand underneath.
So advice on a good unit???

M Toupin
05-23-2015, 8:26 PM
I prefer a floor model . Build a removable cabinet around the column and you have the best of both worlds. A heaver duty machine and the added capacity for those times you need it. Here's my solution for my small shop were everything needs to be mobile and storage is a premium. Apologies for the crappy pics, but you get the idea. 10 small drawers in the back, 4 big ones in the front.

Mike
314111 314112

Thomas Canfield
05-23-2015, 8:58 PM
I would hate to drop back to a benchtop after a floor unit with greater quill travel, depth of throat, and many more features. Storage like above is a great way to use the normally dead space but allow drilling longer pieces when needed. I would almost give up my Powermatic 3520 before giving up my floor drill press, and wish I could justify a better one.

glenn bradley
05-24-2015, 8:04 AM
The swing is the issue for me. If your machine is 14" or less, bench top models are available. Mine is larger and I would like larger still but, YMMV. As mentioned above, I built the cabinet around the post.

The Grizzly 7943 gets favorable reviews at a low price.