PDA

View Full Version : Delta bandsaw 28-203 wiring for 115v from 230v

Roy Yarger
05-23-2015, 2:41 PM
I have a Delta Bandsaw, 28-203, with Delta motor 62-250, that was wired for 230v by previous owner. I have only 115v available and need to change the wiring. For low voltage the motor label says to wire the following:
Yellow (3)
Black (2)(6)
Orange and Red (4) Line 1
Blue (1) Line 2

Only wires available in the motor wiring compartment are Orange, Red, Black and White.
The following are the current connections
Input/Line 1 = White to Orange
Input/Line 2 = Black to Red
Input ground = Blue/Green
Switch is wired = Black - Left top Red - Right top
White -Left bottom Orange - Right bottom

The saw runs and cuts but lack enough power to cut thick/dense wood. I am positive the wiring is not exactly correct which is the cause of the low power. I have seen discussions on this forum previously regard the issue of going from 115V to 230V. Any assistance with the correct wiring for low voltage would be appreciated. I sent a question into Delta regarding this problem but no response.

Roy

David L Morse
05-23-2015, 3:03 PM
Photos of the label and wiring compartment would be helpful.

Roy Yarger
05-24-2015, 10:39 AM
I tried to photo the wiring compartment but given the close quarters the picture is not very good. The same would be for the motor label.

The motor label as as listed above.

The wiring compartment and switch are as listed above.

David L Morse
05-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Did you open the wiring compartment on the motor itself or just the one holding the switch?

Roy Yarger
05-24-2015, 4:05 PM
The wiring compartment. The leads are as stated in the original post.

Julie Moriarty
05-24-2015, 4:16 PM
Before you go into rewiring your motor, do you know what the amperage draw will be when wired for 120V? The reason I ask is if the draw exceeds 16A at 120V, a 20A circuit won't be able to handle the loads the motor will put on the breaker for long. (When we are figuring loads for a given circuit, we try to never exceed 80% of the breaker size.) So if you'll have to feed that motor with a single pole 30A breaker and that means installing a new circuit, you may find it easier to install a new 240V circuit and avoid changing the motor wiring.

Kent A Bathurst
05-24-2015, 4:25 PM
I Swear to Schwartz -

When I end up moving my shop, I am hiring Julie to drive over and deal with it for me.

David L Morse
05-24-2015, 4:42 PM
Before you go into rewiring your motor, do you know what the amperage draw will be when wired for 120V? The reason I ask is if the draw exceeds 16A at 120V, a 20A circuit won't be able to handle the loads the motor will put on the breaker for long. (When we are figuring loads for a given circuit, we try to never exceed 80% of the breaker size.) So if you'll have to feed that motor with a single pole 30A breaker and that means installing a new circuit, you may find it easier to install a new 240V circuit and avoid changing the motor wiring.

Shouldn't be a problem for a 3/4HP motor.

The wiring compartment. The leads are as stated in the original post.

There are TWO wiring compartments. One of them contains the switch and is mounted on the column. From that box there is a cable going down to the motor. Where the cable enters the motor is another compartment. That's where the connections are for changing motor voltage. Since you described the switch wiring I assume that you opened that one. Did you also open the one on the motor?

Roy Yarger
05-26-2015, 8:24 AM
Yes, I opened the one at the motor. The wires are as listed above for motor compartment in original post.

Julie Moriarty
05-26-2015, 9:04 AM
Yes, I opened the one at the motor. The wires are as listed above for motor compartment in original post.

If you have different colored wires than that shown on the motor plate, this motor could have been rewired. The motor David found is a 1/2 HP motor Delta used in some of their tools way back when. I don't know the exact age of your motor but it's certainly a possibility someone before you rewired it.

You mentioned lack of power made cutting thick, dense wood a problem. If that motor is indeed 1/2 HP, it may be the motor and not the wiring. The blade sharpness could also be an issue.

BTW, you mentioned you don't have a 240V circuit to connect the bandsaw to but you also indicated you know the saw lacks power. Did you run it at the previous owner's place? If so, maybe he or she can give you some insight as to the history of the motor.

David L Morse
05-26-2015, 5:35 PM
So this describes the five wires in the motor wiring compartment:

Only wires available in the motor wiring compartment are Orange, Red, Black and White.
The following are the current connections
Input/Line 1 = White to Orange
Input/Line 2 = Black to Red
Input ground = Blue/Green

I assume that the Black, White and Green are the cable that connects to the switch on the bandsaw frame and the Red and Orange are the leads entering the motor. That means that, as Julie pointed out, the motor has been modified from it's original configuration. With only two wires going into the motor there is no way to change the voltage from whatever it might be set for now.

Roy Yarger
06-11-2015, 2:41 PM
Problem solved. I forgot to post the fact. The wiring to change was inside the motor case not on top of it. I should have realized sooner given my background.