PDA

View Full Version : Mixing tooling methods

Doug Griffith
05-23-2015, 1:29 PM
When building tool plugs, sometimes I find it quickest to mix manufacturing methods. In this case I CNC machined some fairly large tool plugs from MDF and bonded laser-cut letters to them afterwards. This gave sharper interior corners and saved a few machining passes across 50" x 50" parts. Wax fillets were added after bonding as well as a couple features that were epoxy cast from previous parts. These will be sent to a foundry, cast into aluminum, and become vacuum form tooling for an automotive rim pallet system (dunnage).

Jim Coffee
05-24-2015, 9:51 AM
Hi Doug...thanks for posting these images (this and past images). I find them fascinating.

-Jim Coffee-

Doug Griffith
05-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Hi Doug...thanks for posting these images (this and past images). I find them fascinating.

-Jim Coffee-

Thanks Jim. I try to add something different to the forum. Other uses for our lasers.

Chuck Vezzetti
05-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Doug
It is nice to see the pattern that you made. I have a collection of patterns dating back to the 1880s. Most of those used leather for the fillets. Another interesting feature is the number for pieces of wood that they used .
Thanks
Chuck

Kev Williams
05-27-2015, 5:55 PM
While not nearly as complicated, I have several industrial customers that I make SS ID plates for,
where I'll laser etch the common information, and tool engrave the variable information that they
would normally stamp in. Saves them time, makes me more $$$ ...

Doug Griffith
06-02-2015, 10:15 AM
When building tool plugs, sometimes I find it quickest to mix manufacturing methods. In this case I CNC machined some fairly large tool plugs from MDF and bonded laser-cut letters to them afterwards. This gave sharper interior corners and saved a few machining passes across 50" x 50" parts. Wax fillets were added after bonding as well as a couple features that were epoxy cast from previous parts. These will be sent to a foundry, cast into aluminum, and become vacuum form tooling for an automotive rim pallet system (dunnage).

Sill warm while I took the photo. It took just 3 days to get the casting back.