PDA

View Full Version : Lift Casters for the Workbench

Bob Dean
08-11-2005, 5:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase casters that I can mount on the legs of my workbench and allow me to lift the table onto the wheels, move it and then release it back onto the floor?

Thanks,
Bob:)

John Hemenway
08-11-2005, 5:52 PM
There was a thread about this a while back. Take a look at:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21790

Bob Dean
08-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks John.

Bob

Bill Fields
08-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Bob:

I recently built a workbench with 5" all-swivel casters w/ no brake locks.

I found a machine lift at Harbor Freight for $12 or so that lifts the side of the bench and locks it in place.

Sorry I can't be more specific. It works well.

Or. preferably, modify large diameter casters by drilling hole at the appropriate poits to lock down the wheel w/thumb-screws. A hassle, but it works well.

Bill Fields

Andrew Ault
08-12-2005, 12:18 PM
For anyone that needs them, the best deal I've seen on casters that lock both swivel and the wheel is at Highland Hardware. They are 3" in diameter and rated at 150 lb per wheel. They are $7.99 ea.

Charlie Plesums
08-12-2005, 8:10 PM
For anyone that needs them, the best deal I've seen on casters that lock both swivel and the wheel is at Highland Hardware. They are 3" in diameter and rated at 150 lb per wheel. They are $7.99 ea.
I just got a bunch of 4 inch swivel double locking casters rated at 175 pounds each on sale for $6.50 apiece from Grizzly. Look up H0683, or others available with a spindle rather than a plate (whatever they are called)

Joseph N. Myers
08-12-2005, 9:28 PM
Bob,

HTC sells mobile bases that contain both the wheels and lift mechanism but depending on the type and size, go for $50 to $200. I don’t like them because of the extra room them take, i.e., the lift mechanism and most have 2 fix wheels and either 1 or 2 wheels on the other end. This makes it is a pain to move it as you have to pull it out in a straight direction, turn it when you have the space, etc., etc.

I gotten rid of all but one of those store type bases a long time ago replacing them with a simple home made version. Last weekend replaced the final one on my 14" Jet bandsaw (pictures attached). Wheels are 2" Plate Stem & Brake version for $1.08 rated at 200 lbs from CSH, www.cshardware.com. (http://www.cshardware.com./)

I have the home made version on my work table, table saw, planner, joiner, etc and very rarely have any trouble with movement as the weight of the machine/wood keeps the unit stable. On longer or heavier pieces, I use a couple of extra wheels. On those rare occasions where there is or might be movement, I just put some short pieces of wood under the unit to lift the wheels off the floor.

Regards, Joe