PDA

View Full Version : VERY Clever Way to Make Drawers

Brian Backner
05-22-2015, 8:55 AM
I have to get one of these saw blades when they become available:

http://makezine.com/2015/05/20/custom-tablesaw-blade-revolutionizes-wood-joints-single-cut/

Read the article then watch the video at the top of the page.

Way cool. Would save a lot of time if you were building a shop full of storage cabinets.

Justin Ludwig
05-22-2015, 9:04 AM
This was just discussed in another thread, but I can't find it. Call me lazy. It's a neat concept, but I'd never use it.

David Ragan
05-22-2015, 9:23 AM
Interesting.

I wonder how much it will be.

Not saying I "need" one-but there looks to be a lot of steel in that blade.

Robert Willing
05-22-2015, 10:13 AM
I would use this but I wonder how it would match up with different dado sets.

I need drawers but too many projects and not time for my own cabinets.

John Schweikert
05-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Previous discussion: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231067-A-clever-quick-way-to-make-drawer-boxes&highlight=drawers

Doug Ladendorf
05-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Great initiative. I hope he is successful.

Jesse Busenitz
05-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Don't know why but this has gone viral...... everybody and their dog has sent me a link to this!!! Maybe it's just me?

Walter Plummer
05-22-2015, 11:56 AM
He wont have to worry about it. Its on the web. There is probably a factory in China cranking them out already with a different name.:rolleyes:

Mike Heidrick
05-22-2015, 1:25 PM
Don't know why but this has gone viral...... everybody and their dog has sent me a link to this!!! Maybe it's just me?

Same here - at least 1-2 a day lol.

Mike Heidrick
05-22-2015, 1:27 PM
He wont have to worry about it. Its on the web. There is probably a factory in China cranking them out already with a different name.:rolleyes:

MLCS will have this available at the travelling carney wood works show. It will be bright blue and in mm.

Kent A Bathurst
05-22-2015, 1:47 PM
MLCS will have this available at the travelling carney wood works show. It will be bright blue and in mm.

Not green w/systainer?

ian maybury
05-22-2015, 7:30 PM
It's to my mind a very nice and useful solution. Not necessarily the answer to everything, but certainly very useful where applicable. Pretty much a quick and easy alternative to a mitre lock.

I wouldn't be wild about the requirement to match the speciality cutter with a dado - it all seems a bit complicated and possibly prone to error/tooling incompatabilities. It might be better if possible to try to deliver a cutter combining all functions in one - with adjustable width for differences in ply thickness.

Walter Plummer
05-22-2015, 9:34 PM
Please ignore this post. I was totally wrong. Thanks. LOL

Ole Anderson
05-23-2015, 9:29 AM
Please ignore this post. I was totally wrong. Thanks. LOL
??? Walter, you are really trying to confuse me here, why not just delete it?

Mike Cogswell
05-23-2015, 1:53 PM
It's to my mind a very nice and useful solution. Not necessarily the answer to everything, but certainly very useful where applicable. Pretty much a quick and easy alternative to a mitre lock.

I wouldn't be wild about the requirement to match the speciality cutter with a dado - it all seems a bit complicated and possibly prone to error/tooling incompatabilities. It might be better if possible to try to deliver a cutter combining all functions in one - with adjustable width for differences in ply thickness.

Agreed. Even if he corrects the design to eliminate the gap with his dado stack there is virtually no chance it would match other makes and models of dado stacks. A single blade profile is the way to go. Even then, I would be unlikely to use such a thing. For starters, I'm very unlikely to ever make a drawer with all sides and bottom the same thickness plywood.

I do give him credit for a clever, innovative idea.

Max Neu
05-23-2015, 5:23 PM
Maybe it's just me,but I don't see any good scenario where these would be of any benefit.I don't think they are adequate for kitchens,especially since they won't work with undermount slides.I also don't see any benefit to spending the time setting this up for shop drawers,when you can just pin or pocket hole them together,and not be forced to use the same thickness material for all the parts.Scraps can be better utilized when you have more options for material choices.

Walter Plummer
05-23-2015, 5:47 PM
Sorry Ole. I could not get it to delete. When I quickly read the post at 5 AM and glanced at the picture of the blade I thought it was supposed to make the joint with just the blade. i didn't watch the video until after I had posted a reply. I agree that matching it to a dado blade is hit or miss.

Warren Wilson
05-23-2015, 5:51 PM
I have to mention I do think it's presumptious of the guy to want to patent a joint that has been used -- probably for millenia -- by the First Nations of the north coast to build bent boxes. The four-way fold is a new concept, but the joint geometry is ancient.

Martin Wasner
05-23-2015, 8:09 PM
Neat idea. It wouldn't be useful for me. I rarely use anything but under mount slides.

M Toupin
05-23-2015, 8:40 PM
I don't think they are adequate for kitchens,especially since they won't work with undermount slides.

Sure it will. Build 2 drawers at a time just as he showed building the boxes leaving enough room for the under mounts and kerf and then cut them apart. If you're building a lot of drawers the same sizes, which is common in pro shops, it would cut build time in half. It's a neat idea, needs some further refinement on the cutter, but I think it might have some use with the bugs worked out.

Mike