PDA

View Full Version : Oasis 15 inch Heavy Duty Planer - P1015

Larry Borras
08-11-2005, 4:10 PM
Hi Guys
New member, long time reader - great forum

Need some inputs on this Planer.

ToolMart sells it. It looks like the Yorkcraft 15" planer. I was going to get the Yorkcraft but the shipping cost killed the deal (to CA $350 - Wilke Mach.). ToolMart is in Southern Calif. so the shipping cost is reasonable. Warrenty is one year, and all issues will be handled through ToolMart. It looks like Toolmart has been in business for a while, since 1986, I just don't know anything about the company.

I would appreciate any feedback on the planer and Toolmart

Thanks in advance.

Donnie Raines
08-11-2005, 4:13 PM
Larry,

Welcome to the Creek. Sorry I cant be of any assistance to you on this particular name brand, but, I am sure someone can chime in. Also, you may want to consider somthing from Sunhill...they are on your side of the lake.

John Miliunas
08-11-2005, 6:53 PM
Larry, glad to have you join us here at the Creek!:) Great place to hang out!

Now, as for the Oasis... I don't know the specifics nor am I familiar with the vendor, but you're absolutely right that it's a dead ringer for the Yorkie I just got!:D I mean right on down to the depth indicator, magnetic switch, height adjustment wheel and in/out-feed tables! My speed adjustment know isn't bright yellow and the sticker just tells folks it's a "Yorkcraft", but otherwise, they are, at the very least, kisssing cousins! As long as they can offer you good after-the-sale support, I'd say you found yourself a winner!:) :cool:

Mike Cutler
08-11-2005, 7:26 PM
Larry. Pleased to meet ya' and welcome to Sawmill Creek.
I've never had any experience with Oasis, but that looks like a nice planer. I've always thought that the Asian made planers looked suspicously familiar, except for the color of the paint. It does look like a York. If it comes with good backing and parts support It's worth a look in my opinion.
Once again, Welcome to Sawmill Creek

Andrew Ault
08-11-2005, 7:38 PM
I live a few minutes from one of the Toolmart stores and have examined this planer in person.

As I recall, my impressions were positive. I thought that it was a lot of tool for the money and appeared to be put together well and well thought out.

It is interesting to make the comparison to the Yorkcraft machine. I did not realise that they were essentially alike - looks like they are. Neat...now if I only had room for one...

I've bought a few small things at the Toolmart store and never had a problem. They've been around for a while in the San Diego area.

-Andy

Jay Knepper
08-11-2005, 8:22 PM
They sure do look similar, but the Yourkie is listed as being over 200 lbs heavier??? 450 for the Oasis vs. 672 lbs for the Yorkcraft.

john whittaker
08-11-2005, 9:06 PM
Welcome Larry,
From what I hear 2nd hand and observe 1st hand, the head of the 15" planer is made in Taiwan and shipped to almost every major and minor tool supplier in the USA. Griz, Wilke, Delta, Jet and on and on....The base, motor and paint are different among brands so I suspect some of this is manufactured or assembled here. I've looked at most of the brands and noticed that some have roller beds, some have metal beds and others have cast beds. Quality of motor may be different as well, but the upper portion with the 4 posts, cutter head and drive are all the same.

From what I've seen, the Yorkie looks like a great deal as they have strong table beds and a built in mobile base. But this 15" configuration has been around and sold by many suppliers for a long time. It is time tested and most folks are very satisfied. So I think you can't go wrong with any "brand" as far as machine performance goes.

Good luck

Larry Borras
08-11-2005, 9:06 PM
Wow, didn't notice the wt. diff. -- 672lbs seems kind of heavy, could the spec. be wrong?