PDA

View Full Version : Acyrlic Glue

Kim Maitland
08-11-2005, 3:17 PM
Can anyone recommend a clear glue for acyrlic? And also a supplier. Thanks..

Bob Tate
08-11-2005, 5:30 PM
Weld-On from LaserBits.com works for me. Pretty good stuff.

William Desrochers
08-11-2005, 6:06 PM
Weld-on is pretty much the best to use on acrylic, it takes a bit of practice to not get air bubbles in the joint.

Shaddy Dedmore
08-11-2005, 6:20 PM
I use Weld On. It takes a lot of practice (for me). I hold my boxes together with rubber bands then apply the juice. I end up using too much and it gets bewteen the band and the acrylic and will leave a mark. I've had to start over more than one.

Takes practice.

Shaddy

Bob Tate
08-11-2005, 6:51 PM
Shaddy, when you get those rubber band marks on the Acrylic, the Novus 3 polish is pretty good at getting them out (don't ask how I know that).

Bill Stein
08-11-2005, 7:04 PM
Kim,

I also use Weld-On. I get it locally from a plastic supply house. You might want to check your yellow pages (plastic) if you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for it to ship from out of town. I recommend that you also get an applicator -- either a squeeze bottle or a syringe. In either case, the applicator should have a long hollow tube or needle for applying the Weld-On. The company that you get the Weld-On from should have the applicator also.

Bill

Lee DeRaud
08-11-2005, 8:52 PM
I use Weld On. It takes a lot of practice (for me). I hold my boxes together with rubber bands then apply the juice. I end up using too much and it gets bewteen the band and the acrylic and will leave a mark. I've had to start over more than one.Does the squeeze-out etch the surface? Also, if you glue two pieces of transparent acrylic together, is the joint still transparent?

William Desrochers
08-12-2005, 5:25 PM
Does the squeeze-out etch the surface? Also, if you glue two pieces of transparent acrylic together, is the joint still transparent?

Yes, It'll change the clear acylic to smuggy clear, like sticking a greasy finger on it.

Yes, the joint is transparent. Unless you have bubbles, then it'll just look bad. :D

Kate Raap
08-16-2005, 1:59 PM
I found my best bet to keep air bubbles out of my acrylic glue is to use a very small syringe. I make sure to only get a small amount in the cracks of the weld on. Works very well this way. I did a bunch of acrylic stands yesterday and didn't get a single air bubble in any of them! And I sped right through them!

William Capman
08-18-2005, 9:06 AM
Another good supplier for acrylic glue and acrylic products is Craftic, Inc

http://www.craftics.com/index.cfm