PDA

View Full Version : Rotary tool question

Joe Lemere
05-20-2015, 11:13 PM
When I'm done with something on my my rotary tool, when it returns to the starting point after an etch, it does it quickly and sometimes the piece will move or fall off the tool. Is there a setting inside RDWorks that will prevent this from happening so fast. I don't want to crack any items not do I want to damage the laser head itself.

Thanks!

Kev Williams
05-21-2015, 1:09 AM
If you can find a way to slow it down, do it..

If not, try this:

add a second "thing" to engrave, say a long dash, about .080" tall (about 2mm).
Make it a different color so you can change the power and speed, and make sure it's set to engrave after the main subject...
Position it at the extreme top/left of your working area, or wherever your 0/0 starting point is if not top-left...
Set the power to ZERO. Set the speed to really slow...
When the machine is done with the main subject, it will head for 0/0 to start the second engraving. When it does so,
just pause the engraving.

Now you can remove your part, then just do a stop/reset and it will go home without hurting anything.
This assumes you'll be watching the machine. But even if you're not, with the second engraving only
being .080" tall, it will only have that far to go back to zero, and that may help..

Joe Lemere
05-21-2015, 6:48 AM
I'll continue to look but in the mean time, this sounds like an excellent solution. Thanks very much Kev.