PDA

View Full Version : Mills and Drills Help drilling metal, please

Phil Mueller
05-20-2015, 9:32 PM
I'm typically hanging out with the Neanderthals, but currently working on restoring a 1966 Wilton vise and need some help. One of the inner parts had a broken pin I need to drill out and replace. I assume the part is cast iron, but not sure what the pin is made from. The hole size is 3/32". I've tried HSS and Irwin Cobalt. I've tried speeds from 570 to 1390. Barely a dimple. Photos below show the minimal progress and a look at the pin from the inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you need any further photos or info, please let me know.
Thank you!

Sam Murdoch
05-20-2015, 9:41 PM
Slow speed and don't forget the cutting oil. The casting could be an issue some heat treated metal
can be nearly impossible to drill through.

This advice from a woodworker with "some" experience with metal but I completely defer to any others
who are smarter on the subject than I.

Jim Creech
05-21-2015, 8:05 AM
The Pin appears to be a press or shrink fit and can probably be driven out with a suitable punch or pressed out with an arbor press. If all else fails take it to a machine shop and have them EDM it out.

Phil Mueller
05-21-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys for the quick responses. Spent another 30 minutes SLOWLY drilling with cutting oil and got nowhere. I think I'll try the punch and then off to a machine shop. I did email a replacement part supplier...might have luck just replacing it...we'll see.
Thanks again!
Phil

Scott T Smith
05-22-2015, 12:35 AM
The Pin appears to be a press or shrink fit and can probably be driven out with a suitable punch or pressed out with an arbor press. If all else fails take it to a machine shop and have them EDM it out.

My thoughts as well.

Rick Johnston
05-25-2015, 12:11 AM
What does EDM mean?

Bill White
05-25-2015, 5:18 PM
Elec. discharge machine. Uses an electrode to "burn" out the object.
Bill

Marion Smith
06-04-2015, 11:39 PM
A solid carbide drill will cut that pin, as will a solid carbide center cutting end mill. Both available @MSC. Make a rigid set up, and stub up on tooling. No free hand drilling, use a drill press. Carbide is hard, but the trade off is brittleness.

Al Launier
06-05-2015, 7:07 AM
Also recommend punching/pressing the pin out as noted above. However, set the cast iron piece on a block of wood, rather than on metal, since the wood would soften the impact somewhat & reduced the chance of any cracking of the cast iron if it were to be placed on metal.
Also, if the hole should "enlargen" while removing it, you could substitute a roll pin if you cannot redrill/ream for the next size pin.

Alex Schubow
06-09-2015, 9:37 AM
You can got the quality drill from Ebay or another. There are so many online shopping sites where you can replace your drill or other tools.