PDA

View Full Version : bookcase completed - first "real" project

Rob Sukach
08-11-2005, 1:28 PM
this bookcase is the first piece of real furniture to come out of my shop. it was originally to be the upper section of a larger built-in, but my divorce got in the way of that plan (sold the house) so i changed mid-stream to a stand-alone design.

it's made of maple and maple ply, and was stained to match formal dining room furniture (which, btw, i no longer own - divorce again). i used biscuits for the joinery, except for the face frame which uses pocket holes and screws.

thanks for looking,

rob sukach
dallas, tx

Keel McDonald
08-11-2005, 1:46 PM
Rob,

Nice bookcase. Pocket holes are awesome arent't they. I've used them several times and they come out perfect every time.

Vaughn McMillan
08-11-2005, 2:25 PM
Excellent bookcase, Rob. Do the three sections come apart for moving? Looks like it'd be a heavy beast moved all at once.

Sorta funny how things get divided in a divorce sometimes. You got the bookcase, but not the matching furniture. When my ex moved out, she took parts of towel sets -- I got hand towels, but not the matching bath towels or washcloths. And the bath towels and washcloths she left also didn't match anything. (She and I laugh about it now, almost 20 years later.) Same thing with dinnerware we got as wedding gifts. For example, she took saucers, but not the cups that go with them. Over the years, I just replaced the ones I had and sent the old matching stuff to her.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
08-11-2005, 2:52 PM
Great job, especially for a first major project. Can't imagine what the whole thing would have looked like. Whatever it would have been, it wouldn't have fit in my house!

Dan

Rob Sukach
08-11-2005, 3:23 PM
thanks for the comments!

pocket holes are definitely cool. i didn't discover them until late in the project otherwise i might have used them instead of the biscuits.

it's three seperate sections, and the shelves are on pins. still quite heavy though.

the original plan was to cover one wall of my formal living room (10x12). the bottom was going to be cabinets and these bookcases (plus one more i finished as a single and gave to me ex-wife) would be on top.

the three of them together are about nine feet long - it was hard to find a spot for them in my new house (which is quite a bit smaller than the old one).

thanks,
rob

Brian Lindenlaub
08-11-2005, 3:45 PM
Beautiful bookcases. The arches at the top are a nice design element.

Jason Tuinstra
08-11-2005, 4:14 PM
Rob, they turned out wonderful. The top arch adds a nice touch to the overall design of the shelves.

Keith Burns
08-11-2005, 4:43 PM
Looks great. I wouldn't have thought it was your first big project. Keep up the good work.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints."

Richard Wolf
08-11-2005, 5:12 PM
Great bookcase, let me guess, she got the books.

Richard

Matthew Poeller
08-11-2005, 5:55 PM
Great bookcase!!! I really like that. I am thinking of building something similar. I have some very old rare books (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1st edition with the mistake is the most expensive at about $5k). I bought a cheap Sauder barristers bookcase just to get them off the floor right now.

Richard, That is too funny.

Jerry Olexa
08-11-2005, 5:59 PM
Nice work esp for a first project!! Very good, Like the arches.

Mike Cutler
08-11-2005, 7:12 PM
Those are really nice bookshelves Rob. If they are your first "Real Project", you did very well. Changing your design in midstream was a challenhe that you obviously overcame. Well Done.

Brian Hale
08-11-2005, 7:57 PM
Very good looking set of bookcases Rob! The arched tops add a subtle but formal look that works well.

Well Done!
Brian :)

Dick Parr
08-11-2005, 9:34 PM
Rob,

Very nice looking bookcase. :)