PDA

View Full Version : How do you sign your projects?

Gene Davis
05-20-2015, 1:31 PM
I just find a spot on the back or bottom, write my name or initials and year in pencil, and carve it quickly with the chisels and gouges I have. Don't go for show, just the mark.

Yesterday I used a sharpie marker, not the tiny tip one, but the bigger cone tipped one. I think I like this better than the pencil method. The big line width from the marker showed me where to cut. I use the awl tip of my marking knife to scrape out the lines after I chisel and gouge.

I thought about learning to letter-carve, but it would require I buy $100 or more in carving tools, so I'll just keep doing what I do with what I have.

ryan paulsen
05-20-2015, 1:39 PM
I have a steel branding iron with my initials that is supposed to be used for grilled meat that I want to try.

Phil Thien
05-20-2015, 2:10 PM
"James Krenov."

Ryan Mooney
05-20-2015, 2:51 PM
I've been trying out india ink with a dip pen and kind of like it once I got over some of the initial the "learning to write" curve :D

"James Krenov."

:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Andrew Hughes
05-20-2015, 3:52 PM
A craftsman doesn't sign his work unless asked.

Gene Davis
05-20-2015, 4:02 PM
I only build for us and family, and my wife insists I sign them all. So I guess I have been asked.

Prashun Patel
05-20-2015, 4:14 PM
I use a Dremel engraver or a pin router. I've started signing symbols like Prince instead of a signature.

My inner voice asks me to do it.

John TenEyck
05-20-2015, 8:36 PM
A craftsman doesn't sign his work unless asked.

Really? I guess I'm not a craftsman then, because I sign mine, whether asked or not.

John

Ryan Mooney
05-21-2015, 2:14 AM
Really? I guess I'm not a craftsman then, because I sign mine, whether asked or not.

John

I'm just planning for later when I can't remember what I've made I can look at them and go "huh, I wonder who that RM guy was that signed all this crap".

glenn bradley
05-21-2015, 8:35 AM
"James Krenov."

Coffee on the monitor!!!

Indelible marker (or white paint-pen on dark woods) under the topcoat. Always in an inconspicuous place. If the item is full-show (all sides viewable), I sign inside somewhere. Do what you're comfortable with.

Yonak Hawkins
05-21-2015, 9:46 AM
I use a Dremel engraver or a pin router. I've started signing symbols like Prince instead of a signature.

My inner voice asks me to do it.

Yes, I do something similar sometimes. I print out the symbol, temporarily stick it on, and cut through the paper.

Andrew Hughes
05-21-2015, 6:05 PM
I'd say your both a craftsman and a Artist craftsman.
I believe once my work is signed it becomes art.

Lee Schierer
05-21-2015, 8:13 PM
I have a branding iron with my name and I embed a penny of the current year in a 3/4" dia recess so the date shows on nearly all the things that I make. I've had nothing but positive comments from people receiving the items.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-22-2015, 11:03 AM
I find that sharpies bleed with many finishes and with epoxy as well. I sign in pencil and date, and possibly put a message or verse depending on what it is and who it is for. At the workshop where I teach on Saturdays we use a branding iron. I really don't like the branding iron because it isn't very crisp, but I do like that it puts the shop logo on the piece.

ron david
05-22-2015, 3:53 PM
I'd say your both a craftsman and a Artist craftsman.
I believe once my work is signed it becomes art.
why does a signature make it a work of art; because you say it is ?
ron

Cody Colston
05-22-2015, 7:21 PM
"James Krenov."

That's funny right there. :D

Actually Krenov "signed" his with a carved JK -(connected).

Andrew Hughes
05-22-2015, 11:38 PM
why does a signature make it a work of art; because you say it is ?
ron
Just my opinion,one year I made hard maple cutting boards for Christmas presents, had lots of extra wood and scraps from some office furniture and cabinets I made. so the feed back I got was that no one wanted to use the boards because the were too nice. I knew then I had broke the law of craftsmanship.I might as well signed my name on them.
I don't sign anymore unless asked,I don't take selfie pics or own a selfie stick.

Larry Edgerton
05-23-2015, 6:45 AM
If I really like something I will sign my name. If its so-so I sign Kent Bathurst.

John A langley
05-23-2015, 9:00 AM
Larry very good though,I will stop using your name will start using Kent

Ole Anderson
05-23-2015, 9:17 AM
I "sign" everyone of my projects. My mistakes are very personalized and I can always pick out my work by my goofs not by my name being on them...

Jesse Busenitz
05-23-2015, 10:43 AM

I had a custom branding iron made.... I don't use it on every project, but a lot of them. Some things just don't work.

Alan Lightstone
05-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Custom branding iron, though I definitely think I'm going to start embedding the pennies. I figure if I can find a 1919 penny, the piece becomes instantly a classic worth megabucks.

Rick Potter
05-23-2015, 1:54 PM
I use the penny method also. My work is all for family members or friends, and I usually write on a hidden place who made it, and for whom, and the penny dates it.

If you have to pay extra to have it signed, then it becomes 'art'. :rolleyes:

Martin Wasner
05-23-2015, 3:11 PM
How do you sign your projects?

With a bill.

Phil Mueller
05-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Love the Penny idea...thanks!

Robert Payne
05-24-2015, 5:44 AM
I had these made by a fellow woodworker who is also a photo engraver -- he used left over sections of photosensitive engraving plates and etched the design; I spray painted them and then sanded them with wet/dry sandpaper. I use a 1-1/4" Forstner bit to embed them in epoxy and then spray with clear polyurethane.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/290/Medallion.JPG (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=72777&title=mcrabbet-woodworks-medallion&cat=290)

Larry Edgerton
05-24-2015, 7:57 AM

This is good.

As historians look into woodworking in the twenty first century 100 years from now they will be amazed by the range of woodworking accomplished by this mysterious individual from Georgia who's work included all different kinds of styles and was spread over the whole continent. Books will be written on the Kent Bathurst style, classes will be taught on how to replicate his diverse collection of work, and fakes will be built to sell at auctions to capitalize on his belated fame.

Larry

John A langley
05-24-2015, 8:29 AM
Coffee all over the iPad

Wade Lippman
05-24-2015, 8:39 AM
I know what I made and no one else cares; hadn't even thought of signing anything.

Brian Henderson
05-24-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't sign a thing and don't care. An overactive ego is the enemy.

Nicolas Silva
05-24-2015, 11:18 AM
I don't sign my name, but I will laser in my logo in the bottom.

Kent A Bathurst
05-24-2015, 11:55 AM
If I really like something I will sign my name. If its so-so I sign Kent Bathurst.

You two characters are a laff riot. Too bad you don't get to use your own names very often. :p

But - by the same token, I don't sign my name to anything, you sign my name stuff to your mediocre stuff..........That raises the quality of work traceable to me by a factor of 2x, for historical purposes. :D :D

Have at it.

Mark Blatter
05-24-2015, 5:10 PM
Typically my projects end with my 'signature' on them. Some place or another, I will bleed on them and not take the time to fully clean it off. Usually it is buried where no one can see it, but my DNA is there.

Kent A Bathurst
05-24-2015, 5:45 PM
........... I will bleed on them and not take the time to fully clean it off. Usually it is buried where no one can see it, but my DNA is there.

Point made, Mark. Every one of my pieces has that trace mark as well. ;)

The spilled Super Tuscan is not enough of a tracer to get back to me, I suppose.............