PDA

View Full Version : Got a cheap Stanley bench plane and it's OK

Gene Davis
05-20-2015, 1:20 PM
$20 to a guy selling his dad's old tools. Painted knob and handle, the cheap gray-painted cap, white metal thumbscrew. Little to no rust, but needs to be polished up a little. From the look of the blade, was maybe sharpened once. Couple of nicks in the end, no big deal.

I am guessing it may date back 25 years. Has the numbers C557B on its sole casting, under the handle. Probably used to plane the edge of a couple fat doors, then put away.

So I resharpened the blade and got it scary, set it on a piece of white oak, adjusted it to cut full width same, shavings maybe .003. It'll work fine.

I thought I wanted one of these because everyone has a #4 iron smoother of some kind. My other smoother is a wood one I've had for a long long time, an ECE Primus, also kept scary sharp. I put the ECE on the piece of white oak to do some comparison cuts, and it sure is lighter. I am used to the ECE and this new-to-me iron thing feels heavy.

It is the only size plane I now have two of. I made a trio of Krenov-style planes using Ron Hock blades and his plans, mine all have wenge soles, but I gave away the smoother as a Christmas gift, keeping the jack and the jointer.

Bill Houghton
05-20-2015, 2:42 PM
Good find for you!

The issue with newer planes from the major makers, often, is quality control. That is, you can get one on which everyone happened to do the job right, and it's a fine tool. Or you can get one that slipped through with one or more quality issues, and it's junk. It's the unpredictability that leads people to search out the older tools.

lowell holmes
05-20-2015, 5:59 PM
Sounds like you have a #4 Bailey. They are good planes id set up properly.

Be on the lookout for a #3 and a #5. You will like those as well.
I have a #3 I use a lot.