PDA

View Full Version : Sad News Used Tool Store Closing

Jim Koepke
05-20-2015, 1:53 AM
One of the things I really liked about my locality is a used tool shop in town. Sadly last week when we pulled in, they were closed. There was a sign on the door saying they would be closing the store and this week May 18 - 22 would be their last week.

Over the years I have gotten some decent deals on tools there.

Went in yesterday and bought a few odd auger bits at $2/lb.

I used to tell them I just came in for some aroma therapy. There was a aroma of grease and rust.

Oh well, time marches on.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
05-20-2015, 5:50 AM
Indeed sad. Everyone wants the bright and shiny new stuff today.

David M Anderson
05-20-2015, 7:20 AM
Indeed sad. Everyone wants the bright and shiny new stuff today.

So correct.

$2 a lb. is not bad at all, came across a few at a yard sale.
Young man was cleaning out his garage, had some old tools from his Father and Grandfather.
He had a few auger bits for sale.
Had to laugh inside...
they wobbled in his cordless

Judson Green
05-20-2015, 11:04 AM
That's a bummer. How busy was the store? I think that would be a difficult business.

Jim Koepke
05-20-2015, 11:31 AM
How busy was the store?

It was never a crowded, teaming market place. There were times of my being the only person in the shop.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
05-20-2015, 4:42 PM
Jim, I can relate. The property holding the biggest used tool market in my area was sold. The major tenant then opened his own market, about 20,000SF, with his own shop in one corner, other vendors in the rest. When he died, in his early 90s, his son liquidated the tools and closed the entire market. Bad all the way round.

Stew Denton
05-20-2015, 8:45 PM
Jim,

You aren't the only one, I think a lot of us take that as sad news. I think those of us who appreciate and enjoy using old, but good, woodworking hand tools, especially out here in the relatively rural areas, don't have many places to go and actually look at used tools. The local garage sales very seldom have woodworking tools, and even more seldom have vintage woodworking tools.

About my only choice is Ebay, and there is no "hands on" inspecting there. I have gotten to go to one flea market in the past 2 years, but I guess there are a couple in Amarillo that I hope to go to one of these times, but the locations are more than an hours drive from here.

At any rate your news, and the other news and comments on the follow up posts doesn't seem to bode very well for us.

My son in law is a member of a tool collectors association for our region of about 5 states, and I am about to join, I think. They have tool shows a couple of times a year. One benefit is to know about those, etc. The nearest show for that group is about 4 hours away. Craig's list sometimes has tools, but they are almost always used power tools, and the few hand tools listed are normally mechanics tools, etc.

Stew

Walter Plummer
05-21-2015, 3:00 PM
The Liberty tool store in Liberty Maine is for sale also, but he is trying to find someone to keep it going. I couldn't figure out how to attach the flyer but it can be read on his site. http://www.jonesport-wood.com/libertytool.html

Mike Wilkins
05-21-2015, 3:13 PM
Had the same feeling when the local ReTool store closed its doors. Declining market after the 2008 housing crash was the culprit. Loved to go in there and walk around and see what items I could not live without. It was also a great way for me to sell and trade gently used tools. I really miss that place.
It also gave me a chance to make some great new friends in the owners.