PDA

View Full Version : Dents in Mahogany door

James Mudler
08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
I picked up a Mahogany front door with a oval glass insert at Lowes yesterday (gloat). It was a display item and I walked away for under $60. My question, it has some minor dents and scraps. It is solid, but the visual panels are thin almost like veneer. Any tips on how to handle the dents and scraps. Also it has stickers, double stick tape, that someone attempted to remove. How would you recommend getting rid of the glue.

I thinking lightly sanding and maybe use some type of filler. Then refinish.

Thanks,
James

David Wilson
08-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Don't know if this will work but it might be worth a try. Dents can sometimes be removed by placeing a damp cloth over the dent and applying a hot iron to the cloth.

Jim DeLaney
08-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Naphtha will usually remove the sticker & tape residue. If not, then try denatured alcohol.

David's suggestion to steam out the dents is a good one. As long as the wood fibers are only bent, and not broken, it'll work. Done carefully, you shouldn't need any filler.

Sam Blasco
08-11-2005, 2:26 PM
For a quick version of wetting and heating the fibers is to flood the dent with a drop or two of denatured alcohol and a match or lighter.

Steve Wargo
08-11-2005, 2:34 PM
But don't use the lighter fluid/ denatured alcohol method if there is already a top coat on the doors.

Ellen Benkin
08-11-2005, 2:47 PM
If you want to carefully remove the glue and other sticky stuff, you can use a product called "Goo Gone". I'd recommend mineral spirits (paint thinner) if you are going to refinish the door anyway.

Per Swenson
08-11-2005, 2:58 PM
James,

All of the above.

But try not to sand the door at all.

Todays, stock big box doors, are so

thinly veneered that you risk sanding through with

little or no effort.

This of course , if you are going to stain it.

Per