PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Have One New Feature On Your Lathe.....

Wally Dickerman
05-19-2015, 6:07 PM
If you could ask the lathe manufactures for something added to your lathe what would it be?....I can think of several things but I'll say.....Two or more outlets on the lathe to plug in an accessory...A drill, a task light, etc.

Manufacturers might like to know some of our answers.....

David Delo
05-19-2015, 6:42 PM
Some type of serious or effective dust collection hood/system that looks as if it was engineered to be integrated to the machine. CSUSA is advertising an interesting bolt-on aftermarket system called the Black Hole that looks as if it could be half-way decent. Wish the mfg's took the issue of dust collection a little more serious. Could be wrong but I think Oneway is the only mfg. doing anything on the issue.

Geoff Whaling
05-19-2015, 6:47 PM
If you could ask the lathe manufactures for something added to your lathe what would it be?....I can think of several things but I'll say.....Two or more outlets on the lathe to plug in an accessory...A drill, a task light, etc.

Manufacturers might like to know some of our answers.....

Bring back an option of a cross slide etc like an old pattern makers lathe.

Jack Mincey
05-19-2015, 7:05 PM
I would love to have legs that adjust at the touch of a button. It would be great to be able to raise the lathe up several inches to free hand hollow on HF's and lower it for the rest of ones turning. I really like the outlet ideal. I have a bracket on the back of my Oneway lathe that I might just have to add some outlets to some day.
Jack

charlie knighton
05-19-2015, 7:24 PM
legs sprayed out instead straight up and down.....I am of average height so I fit most lathe height, but adjustable height would be helpful......just get a room full of turners together and you will see there is no physical norm

Stan Calow
05-19-2015, 8:05 PM
A way to easily attach a jig securely. Such as a jig for routing flutes in a spindle using indexing.

Sid Matheny
05-19-2015, 8:05 PM
autopilot :p

Thom Sturgill
05-19-2015, 9:14 PM
I have a shelf setting on the upper flanges in the legs and a four foot power strip attached to it edge and another overhead, so power and lighting are not issues. Easily adjustable legs is another matter. I'm 5'7 which in my dad's day was average, but today is short. I do hollowing and spindle work as well as bowls and find that while the height is fine for some things its not so good for others.

Doug Ladendorf
05-19-2015, 9:39 PM
I think dust collection is a crucial issue that has yet to be taken seriously by most lathe manufacturers. They must think it's someone else's problem.

I have long admired patternmaker a lathes and would welcome a cross slide, especially if it could hold a router at a variety of angles.

Scott Hackler
05-19-2015, 10:08 PM
An ankle shackle to keep me at th lathe and not distracted with other things (even...do we even meantion....FLAT work!). :)

robert baccus
05-19-2015, 10:50 PM
A modernized copy of the Union Graduate jr. lathe with a 20" swing and variable speed ect.

Michael Mills
05-20-2015, 12:46 AM
A PTO from the motor or outboard to snap in flex-shaft sanding discs.

Terry Vaughan
05-20-2015, 7:17 AM
Very simple thing - a few well-placed holes for attaching accessories such as lights, extraction hood, copying aids, sandpaper holders etc.

Dan Hintz
05-20-2015, 8:01 AM
Integrated dust collection (that actually worked) would be a top contender for me.

Jim Underwood
05-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Right now I'd trade all of that for a decent motor that didn't go belly up in 6 years... :rolleyes:

But I'd like to be able to adjust the tailstock like they can do on metal lathes to get the centers EXACTLY lined up.

Maybe I'm just not buying from the right manufacturer.

Don Bunce
05-20-2015, 2:03 PM
I think all lathes should have the on-off switch mounted somewhere other than the headstock. Having to reach around to the headstock to turn the lathe on puts you in the line of fire at the most dangerous time, and if something goes wrong as you are turning, you have to reach around it to turn it off.

Reed Gray
05-20-2015, 2:30 PM
Interesting to note the number of comments about dust collection at the lathe. Given what it would cost for an efficient hood, I would think many would opt to make their own. Perhaps it is time to show this one again. Next upgrade will be a 200 gallon or so sized plastic barrel/container that stays mounted on the lathe. I would have baffles that are removable for when turning dry or long things, and one for when I am sanding bowls. An end cap as well for bowl sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

The 'big gulp' type cups/vents just do about half the job, and after looking at Craft Supplies 'black hole' hood, I had to laugh, in part because of the price of the thing. I remember Oneway having a hood as well, but I never looked at the price, but probably way beyond reasonable for most of us. Heck, a cardboard box will work just as well. Only real problem is mounting them.

Other than that, I think, for safety reasons, it would be nice to see an on/off switch that would reset to 0 when turned off so you can't accidentally start your lathe up, having forgotten to turn the speed down. Probably more of a beginner thing, but it still happens some times. Probably worst offender, is the DVR which is so slow for the ramp up/ramp down speed changes. Not bad if you are used to it, but when you aren't, and lathe is set at high speed when you turn it on, things go flying.

I do like the idea of being able to 'push button' change the height of your lathe. Might be difficult to do though. My accountant has her desk on hydraulic risers. If the lathe legs are splayed, it would be more difficult, and keeping it level on all 4 feet would be difficult as well. Maybe you need the standing area to be movable...

robo hippy

Hayes Rutherford
05-20-2015, 2:50 PM
A brake band or disk that could lock the spindle in any position for sanding, carving, or whatever.

Dennis Ford
05-21-2015, 9:20 AM
An extra stop switch located at the tail-stock end (not difficult to retrofit but could be factory installed).
Making the ways with a ledge on the outside in addition to the inside would provide a path to the cross slide mentioned previously.

Marvin Hasenak
05-21-2015, 2:39 PM
Bring back an option of a cross slide etc like an old pattern makers lathe.

Or at least make the cross slide an optional accessory item. I finally jury rigged up a system for my lathes using old cross slides from old metal lathes.

Brian Kent
05-21-2015, 9:58 PM
Hybrid - Electricity or Natural Gas

robert baccus
05-22-2015, 12:08 AM
How about a large complete first aid kit permanently mounted conveniently.

Peter Hay in Aus
05-22-2015, 6:11 AM
I feel quite fortunate in that I bought a new model of my Vicmarc the VL150 I buy as a bench short lathe short as I provide my own motor 3 phase a VFD with variable pot to enable 240 volt in 415v out.I sit fairly high on a draughtsman swivel chair and run the motor on the rear of the bench top through the back of the head stock. I use an in line fan with a good strong throughput immediately above the lathe to remove any CA fumes and a workshop vacuum cleaner with a small cycone in line for chip and dust extraction that way I get what I want, I believe each person needs to tailor the lathe to suit the user. I have pics of my setting up, it works for me.

Kind regards Peter.

Thom Sturgill
05-24-2015, 2:37 PM
I would like some kind of crank to raise/lower the tool rest without having to set down the tool I just picked up and use both hands - one to adjust the rest while the other loosens and then tightens the clamp. It would need to push up from the base of the post so that custom rests still work properly. Probably make the banjo too thick though....

Rick Gibson
05-25-2015, 9:28 AM
In addition to good dust collection I would like a handwheel on the headstock. the outboard end of the headstock spindle on mine is not threaded so it's going to take a bit of thought to come up with a secure method of mounting one I could make.