PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

Ben Pierce
05-18-2015, 9:34 PM
So, it's starting to get hot in my shop. My usual jeans and work boots won't last much longer. What do folks do for footwear in hot weather? Anything with shorts seems to invite wood shavings into the shoes. :confused:

Roger Chandler
05-18-2015, 9:37 PM
So, it's starting to get hot in my shop. My usual jeans and work boots won't last much longer. What do folks do for footwear in hot weather? Anything with shorts seems to invite wood shavings into the shoes. :confused:

I would highly recommend staying away from flip-flops while turning! ;)

Richard Casey
05-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Ben, down here we can buy things call sock savers. Basically an elastcised cloth shroud that seals by velcro down the side to keep the shavings out of your boots. I get SHMBO to make them oversize for me for a more comfortable fit.
rgds,
Richard.

Reed Gray
05-18-2015, 10:50 PM
I am in shorts all year long. I wear slip on shoes, and before going into the house, use a broom to get 90% of the shavings off. Air doesn't work. Nylon type socks might work, but not too good if you are sweating. Cotton is better.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
05-19-2015, 6:38 AM
I wear shorts 90% of the time. Too hot for long pants. I wear short topped sock and put up with the chips. I go barefoot as much as I can, or used to as I have arthritis in both feet now and get custom shoes/inserts from the VA tomorrow to see if that will help. I have a scar on one foot from a gouge slipping off the end of the tool rest and being pulled out of my hand and thrown to the floor. Barely missed losing a toe - I was barefoot at the time. Now I wear heavy shoes in the shop and the wife fusses if I don't..

Dale Bonertz
05-19-2015, 7:30 AM
During the summer I normally wear shorts. I wear the short socks with shoes (work or athletic). I bought the shoe covers from Bruce Hoover at the sanding glove. Not the most attractive but they help a lot from getting chips in my shoes. They are super easy to put on with the Velcro. My wife appreciates the effort and I appreciate nothing in my shoes.

Prashun Patel
05-19-2015, 8:28 AM
I like woodworking in Crocs. They have good grip on the floor, wash out easy, and can be worn with the strap around the ankle, or with the strap folded over the front so they just slip on. Dust and shavings do get in there, but by virtue of their easy-on-easy-off nature, they're a snap to empty out.

Joe Bradshaw
05-19-2015, 8:53 AM
I wear either deck shoes or sneakers with short socks. Since I live alone, I don't worry about tracking chips into the house. A vacuum takes care of them.
Joe

Cary Falk
05-19-2015, 9:07 AM
Shorts and soccer slides(no socks) almost all year around.

Ben Pierce
05-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the ideas!

Ralph Lindberg
05-19-2015, 10:25 AM
A pro demonstrator of my friendship tends to wear shorts and go barefoot.
Simplfies the entire cleanup process. Of course he has to keep the floor clean to support that habit

Kyle Iwamoto
05-19-2015, 12:10 PM
What's wrong with flip flops? It's hot here all the time. I use Crocs too. Always use shorts. Too hot for long pants.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 1:19 PM
What's wrong with flip flops? It's hot here all the time. I use Crocs too. Always use shorts. Too hot for long pants.

I just hope you do not drop a tool point down on top of your foot, or even something heavier...........seems to me that is not a safe way to go, but although probably not the safest thing to do, there are no doubt many who do it any way! I am just trying to help a new turner to keep from being injured in a way that is totally preventable..........YMMV ;)

Dave Cullen
05-19-2015, 1:46 PM
I wear leather boots and regular socks. They give my back some support so I can stand on a concrete floor and not be in pain. And also because I've seen a roughing gouge slice through a line cord on its way to the floor. Wouldn't want my toes to be there.

Geoff Whaling
05-19-2015, 4:57 PM
I live in the tropics & not far from Richard. I also like the "Gaiters" or sock savers & good Aussie wool socks. Its steel toe cap safety boots for me all year, but then I've been wearing them for over 45 years. I'm more than thankful that they saved me from loosing a left big toe. Having several stitches to fix a deep laceration from a sharp object (a wood chisel) that actually sliced through the steel toe cap convinced me about safety boots. We also have some of the worlds most highly venemous snakes that live around here, Tiapans & Eastern Browns. We don't encounter them often but often enough to keep you aware of them.

Jon Nuckles
05-20-2015, 4:05 PM
Another barefoot turner here. My shop is on the fourth floor in an urban setting. If I were anywhere near Geoff's venomous snakes or ANY spiders, I'd be wearing chainmail hip waders!

Jim Sevey
05-20-2015, 6:00 PM
+1 on the Crocs. After a day in boots or tennis shoes I can feel the strain on my lower back and knees. Crocs have support in the arch and just the right amount of cushion to make them comfortable and no socks are necessary. At the end of a shop day I kick them off and leave them by the back door in the "alert" position in case I have to make an emergency run to my shop ( it happens during times of intense creativity). PLUS------get a pair one size larger for colder months and you can wear warm, over-sized socks to keep you warm.

John Beaver
05-20-2015, 6:54 PM
I'm a fan of Keen shoes for the shop. (I personally don't buy into the barefoot or sandals, as I feel there is too much risk for injury) Keen makes industrial shoes as well as sandal type shoes that still have a solid toe on them - these would be great for hot humid climates. I buy mine 1/2 a size larger and add another layer of insole and I'm comfortable standing all day.

Dennis Nagle
05-20-2015, 9:22 PM
I use scrub bottoms from SA and tenis shoes.

Dok Yager
05-22-2015, 11:14 PM
I agree with John here on the shoe choice. Keen shoes are quality and with the gaiters over them I don`t get shavings in my shoes. I turn in either shorts or scrubs in the summer. It gets Hot here 115+ so A/C for the Garage/Shop is a must. I have a set of these: http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/austin/black