PDA

View Full Version : Minimax S500P (MM20) upper wheel adjustment/alignment

Len Rosenberg
05-18-2015, 6:32 PM
The upper wheel of my Minimax S500P bandsaw is connected to the upper housing by a yoke/spindle. On each side of the yoke/spindle is an adjustable bolt with a large washer. Can anyone tell me what these bolts adjust?

Also, under tension, the teeth of the blade extend beyond the front of the lower wheel by about 1/8", but the blade is centered on the upper wheel (so the teeth of the blade are about 3/16" back from the front edge of the wheel).
Does this matter?

Thanks for any help.

Len

Jim Becker
05-20-2015, 11:31 AM
I can't address your question about the bolts, but I will point out that you do not have "crowned" tires on the MM saw's wheels like you would on a typical North American mass-produced band saw. Outside of very narrow blades, it's normal to run the blade with the teeth slightly over the edge of the wheel on a flat tire system. For me, that's any blade wider than about 3/8". My saw normally has a 1/2" blade on it (95% of the time) and the setup is exactly as described...teeth off the edge of the wheel slightly.

Len Rosenberg
05-20-2015, 6:33 PM
Thanks Jim. My concern is not that the teeth hang off the lower wheel, it's that they don't also hang off the upper wheel. So the blade is not in the same place on both wheels....

Len

Erik Loza
05-20-2015, 7:08 PM
Thanks Jim. My concern is not that the teeth hang off the lower wheel, it's that they don't also hang off the upper wheel. So the blade is not in the same place on both wheels....

Len

Len, that is a simple tracking adjustment. There's an MM16 setup video on the MM USA website that shows how to perform it. That is one of the adjustments you will make quite often if you switch blades frequently.

Erik

Len Rosenberg
05-20-2015, 7:11 PM
Thanks Erik, I will look for the video.

Len