PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever use actual router bits in your CNC router?

Garth Snyder
05-18-2015, 6:16 PM
For those with CNC systems based on "real" routers, do you find any use for standard router bits in your CNC setup? I'm talking about just your average kind of stuff: roundover bits, slot cutters, profiles, dovetails, etc.

I have a collection of maybe two dozen 1/2" bits, and I'm wondering if the ability to use those bits in a new CNC system is important or not.

Jerome Stanek
05-18-2015, 6:51 PM
I use some 1/2 inch ones

Scott Shepherd
05-18-2015, 6:57 PM
I sure do.

Bruce Page
05-18-2015, 7:10 PM
Regular router bits? All the time. I have a self imposed policy of never using any bits that have a bearing on them.

Roy Harding
05-18-2015, 8:12 PM
Absolutely. I use round overs, vcarve, coving, and edging bits all the time - but I agree with Bruce's observation regarding bits with bearings on them.

Edited to add: my CNC has a spindle, not a router - but I can't see what difference that would make.

Garth Snyder
05-19-2015, 12:33 AM
Roy, are your bits 1/4" or 1/2", and if the latter, what spindle/system are you using?

Bruce Page
05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Roy, are your bits 1/4" or 1/2", and if the latter, what spindle/system are you using?

Garth, I have a 1.7 KW HSD spindle with ER25 collet system. The ER25 collets are available in sizes 1/8" through 5/8" in 1/32" increments. I primarily use 1/4" shanked bits but will use 3/8" & 1/2" bits when needed. My surfacing bit is 1 3/4" x 1/2" shank.

Art Mann
05-19-2015, 1:41 PM
Router bits are most of what I use. There are some specialy bits for cutting plastics and soft metals that I use. I haven't used any of the profile bits without bearings because I usually profile edges on a regular router table rathr than the CNC.

Roy Harding
05-20-2015, 9:26 AM
I use 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" bits. My system is a Shopbot - I can't remember the spindle type right now - I'll check it when I'm out in the shop later today.

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-27-2015, 6:47 PM
I used a $10 1/2" Core Box bit on our $100K Morbidelli yesterday, to make a coved Corian backsplash. Sometimes it's a lot quicker and easier to just grab a bit out of the drawer than to order a CNC specific bit and wait for it.

Mike Heidrick
06-28-2015, 4:07 AM
All the time too - 2.2kw 3hp ER20 spindle with 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 router bits and endmills in a Castcnc joes hybrid 4x4 rack and pinion I built myself.

Great ones for me:
Whiteside ru4700 and rd 4700 1/2 shank 1/4 dia cut spirals up and down depending on u or d
Other whiteside spiral
CMT 60 degree Laser v-bit
Ball nose endmills from enco
Onsurd O-flute

Bill Munroe
06-28-2015, 3:54 PM
I've used both Ogee and roundover bits on the CNC. I fully concur with the guys about NOT using bits with the bearings. Most of the time however, I just use my router table. I find it simpler and faster...besides, hold downs with the bits I use can be problematic on the CNC.

Paul Phillips
06-29-2015, 12:28 PM
I grind off the bearing stud and use the round-over bits with an angled plunge and use it to radius the edges on my corian signs, works great! BTW, since most of them are .5" wide at the tip, I just set up the bit as a .5" bit in the tool-path.

Alan Lightstone
07-07-2015, 8:13 PM
What is different about a CNC bit compared to a router bit?

Paul Phillips
07-08-2015, 10:35 AM
CNC router bits are sort of descended from the CNC Milling industry, they tend to be solid carbide and much more durable precise than most carbide tipped woodworking router bits, in general they tend to have a longer cutting life and specific geometries designed to cut certain materials such as Acrylics or Aluminum.

Art Mann
07-08-2015, 11:11 AM
The solid carbide spiral bits I buy from Whiteside last as long as any of the bits I have bought from CNC router bit companies. It all comes down to the quality of the carbide and the precision of the manufacturing process. There is nothing magic about Onsrud.

Paul Phillips
07-09-2015, 11:02 AM
The solid carbide spiral bits I buy from Whiteside last as long as any of the bits I have bought from CNC router bit companies. It all comes down to the quality of the carbide and the precision of the manufacturing process. There is nothing magic about Onsrud.

Too bad Whiteside is so far away from me, (I prefer West coast distributors) I will give them a try though. I guess it all depends on your specific application, I've tried 6 or 7 different brands but haven't found anything that will outlast an Onsrud bit for what I do, which is mostly in Acrylic, especially the smaller diameter ones like a .125"x.5" End Mill for hard acrylics when I have to cut tight details in .5" Cast Acrylic. I keep two machines running all day so I'm always looking for what might be better but I haven't found it yet. What I like about Onsrud is the wealth of information that is available on their website to help answer questions and learn about CNC routing, I always recommend new users check it out, also if you call them, they will send a technician out to you to evaluate and train you on proper use of their tools, for free! May be some magic there!