PDA

View Full Version : 3/8" Air Ratchets

Jim Laumann
05-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Do 3/8" air ratchets have a "impact" function, or do they only turn the fastener really fast?

Was working on the mower earlier this spring, and could not remove the blade bolts/nuts w/ hand tools due to rust.
Put the 1/2" impact on them, got them loose/off, but the clearance between the mower deck and shop floor
was awfully tight for getting the impact on/off the bolt.

Any recommendations as to brand?

Thanks

Mac McQuinn
05-18-2015, 2:58 PM
Do 3/8" air ratchets have a "impact" function, or do they only turn the fastener really fast?

Was working on the mower earlier this spring, and could not remove the blade bolts/nuts w/ hand tools due to rust.
Put the 1/2" impact on them, got them loose/off, but the clearance between the mower deck and shop floor
was awfully tight for getting the impact on/off the bolt.

Any recommendations as to brand?

Thanks
My 30 year old Craftsman Industrial 3/8" Drive air ratchet does not have a impact feature, it just makes dis-assembly quick and painless. The new ones may have this feature, not sure. Perhaps you could make a couple mini wooden ramps to get the mower a bit higher in order to clear your impact. Using 2x material would give you 1/-3/8" extra clearance.
Mac

Mike Henderson
05-18-2015, 3:27 PM
The one I have, admittedly an old one, does not have the impact function. I have a separate air tool that does impact.

Mike

Jason Roehl
05-18-2015, 3:32 PM
Get some universal joints for impact wrenches. Don't bother trying to use standard u-joints--they'll either not work, or come apart.

Roy Harding
05-18-2015, 3:45 PM
My cheapo one (Canadian Tire, I think) - about 6 years old, doesn't have an impact feature - but it's sure handy.

Ole Anderson
05-19-2015, 10:33 PM
An air ratchet is just that: a ratchet wrench with no impact function. I have a 3/8" Dayton (Grainger) that has served me well. Lots of names for them, commonly called a sidewinder around here. I use a come-along to lift the front of my ZT to remove the blades with an impact gun.

Dan Hunkele
05-20-2015, 8:47 AM
They do make 3/8 inch impacts that are a bit shorter than your 1/2 inch.

Ed Labadie
05-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Ingersoll makes one.....

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-en/products/tools/impactools/maintenance-automotive-impactools/3-8-drive/2015max-3-8-impact-wrench

Ed

Bill Orbine
05-20-2015, 8:08 PM
Really???? Are you looking for an shallower impact wrench just to remove nut/bolt(s) under the mower deck?? Jack up the mower!:p

Ole Anderson
05-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Very nice, but at over $500, a bit out of my range.

Jim Laumann
05-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Bill / Mac

Incredulous as it may sound - deck height off the floor, etc - but yes - but I had jacked the mower to the limit of the jacks I have/blocks under the
wheels, etc.

The air ratchet was a thought is all. Could always use it for other tasks as well.

Jim

Myk Rian
05-21-2015, 1:09 PM
Put anti-seize on the threads.

Matt Meiser
05-21-2015, 1:13 PM
MoJack (http://www.themojack.com/)....