PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
05-18-2015, 8:56 AM
18 May 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
It's been a busy week here with my youngest son getting ready to graduate high school, new projects at the day job, and trying to get things done around the house since spring has sprung. Still working on the fist ever guitar build with a buddy of mine, Chuck. We are hoping that all goes well this week and that we can start applying finish to the guitars before the end of this month.....we hope.

Trying to stay safe and dry with all the rain and storms we've been having and I'm ready for drier weather for a couple of weeks. :)

Hope this finds each of you doing well.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Charles Taylor
05-18-2015, 9:48 AM
I got to spend most of the weekend in the workshop, which I enjoyed a lot better than the previous weekend (and then some) of drainage trenching in the yard.

The sheets and scraps of birch plywood I'd been saving for another round of shop cabinets have been getting in the way and more in danger of being damaged by other goings-on in the workshop and the tool shed, so...shop cabinets it was. Got five vertical panels made for a lower cabinet to fill the final 7-1/2 feet of one wall, and got most of the cutting done for a pair of uppers. The glue-up for one of the uppers is about a third done. I work slowly, but I can't complain about my progress this weekend.

Jim Becker
05-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Stressful weekend...moved the horses to a new barn after 7 years at the old one. "Barn Divorces" are not a fun thing!

As to woodworking, I believe I have another tack trunk commission coming in and I did refinish Elvis's stall sign. :) Of course, I need to do some serious shop cleaning before the former item commences.

One other small thing...a couple months ago a gentleman who is considering buying some MiniMax gear made a visit to see the tools in-person. Many owners show and demonstrate since there are typically no showrooms for this kind of industrial gear. As a sign of appreciation for my time, I was given a Woodcraft gift card...something not easy for me to "spend" since there are no "local" stores and they are not a supplier I have purchased from in some time. On Friday, my older daughter wanted to over-dose on roller coasters up at Dorney Park in Allentown, PA...and there's a Woodcraft store nearby. So while she was enjoying the day (I don't favor amusement parks) and after I dealt with some "work work" from a local Starbucks, I went buy the store and wandered about for awhile to see if anything caught my eye. Aside from some 1/2" 23 gage pins that I was getting low on (I use them to fasten the 1/4" thick trim to my trunks) I wasn't really finding anything I wanted or needed...until the very last aisle. There, up on the wall, I spied a small display of Japanese Knife kits...hmm...interesting. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and had never made a knife handle. So I chose the larger Nakiri style kit and brought it home as a "for me" woodworking project. I doubt that the blade will be quite as good as my Global knives, but it will be nice to have in the drawer and use as an alternative to the Sankou that I most often employ for prep work.

Rod Sheridan
05-18-2015, 3:19 PM
Past weekend?

It's still the weekend here (Victoria Day).

I didn't do any woodworking except for the firewood type.

I did however have a nice 90 minute motorcycle ride out to a friends house who was having a BBQ and woodworkers get together at his place,

It was very nice...........Regards, Rod.

Mike Wilkins
05-18-2015, 4:02 PM
Spent time in the shop making lots and lots of slats for some shutters for the house. Got the Rockler jig a couple of years ago and just getting around to putting them to work. Using a rot-resistant Cypress lumber that I got from an antiques store, that originally came from some pickle vats from the Mount Olive, NC pickle company.
Then taking advantage of some nice weather to give the Ducati some exercise.

Garth Almgren
05-18-2015, 4:04 PM
Found a plumbing adapter that would allow me to connect my RAS's blade guard dust port to 2.5" hose. That plus a 4" port that catches most of the dust going straight back works pretty well for me.
Got that all hooked up, then I built a couple rain barrel stands out of PT, one 2'x2' for a single barrel, and one 4'x2' for two barrels. Probably massively overbuilt, but it was fun!

I had a heck of a time figuring out how I wanted to notch out the 4x4 legs so I could recess the 2x4 stretchers. I used my CMS to cut everything to length then the RAS to batch out the start and stop lines, but my dado set is too small to hog out the full 1.5" depth of the 2x4 either on the TS or RAS, and I didn't really want to nibble away at the 24 notches (3 on each leg) one thin kerf width at a time. That's when it hit me: I have a bandsaw with a brand new blade! Made quick work of cleaning out the notches after that. :)

Rod Sheridan
05-18-2015, 4:34 PM
Then taking advantage of some nice weather to give the Ducati some exercise.

Have fun, have had the F700GS out for everything this weekend including grocery shopping.

Which model Ducati do you have?

My favourite has to be the SS900 from the seventies....................Regards, Rod.

Cody Colston
05-18-2015, 5:39 PM
18 May 2015

Trying to stay safe and dry with all the rain and storms we've been having and I'm ready for drier weather for a couple of weeks. :)

Tell me about it. I'm sick of rain as it's been a record year for it in East Texas and looks to continue through Memorial Day.

I was at work this weekend and for the next two weekends so no woodworking for me. I have a new job as a drilling advisor to a foreign, National Oil Company and since I have quite a bit of free time and nothing else to do, I read the woodworking forums. :D

Mike Cozad
05-18-2015, 9:29 PM
It's been a busy week here with my youngest son getting ready to graduate high school
Congratulations on your son's graduation. My youngest had his last day of school last Thursday on his way out into the world, so I share your emotions!

I am making it back into the shop after a 6 month layoff. Life has a way of sticking it to you. Anyway, spent Saturday on a hunt for an organic meat market in nw Ohio and the tried a new micro brewery in a coverted church in downtown Bryan OH. Spent Sunday installing vinyl siding on our front porch and then installing my newly minted Shark Guard and a Creek classifieds Shop Fox fence (NOS) on my Ridgid R4511 table saw. A fine pair of additions that will hold me over until I purchase a slider late this year or early next. Really impressed with the quality and function of the Shark guard.... My list will grow here as we continue to renovate to sell our current suburban home and move to the country.

Shawn Pixley
05-19-2015, 2:03 AM
I had a three hour weekend. Saturday morning I cut the inlay groves for some stringing on a table / leg apron I am making. I love the router plane! At 11 am I packed and then headed for the airport for another business trip (Germany this time). I am becoming increasingly unhappy about those scheduling Monday morning meetings in a foriegn country. I fly back Wednesday to ensure that I will be home for LOML's birthday.

Mike Wilkins
05-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Have a 796 Monster. I was away from riding for about 20 years due to job change, moving to another state, and 2 girls of college age. Got the itch again and started digesting motorcycle magazines a couple of years ago. Got a 2012 model in 2013 and got a little discount due to model year change. I didn't want a big bore bike right away and feel mid size machines are more than enough.
Would love a 1974 Super Sport 750 model, but looking at recent auction prices, I may need some winning lottery numbers to get one of those.

Rod Sheridan
05-19-2015, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike, the Monster is a nice bike, one of my friends ahs one.

My avatar is my 76 R90/6 and me on the Blueridge Parkway about 10 years ago...........Rod.

Michael Stockdale
05-20-2015, 4:17 PM
Completed a new cutoff sled for the SawStop... Used William Ng's five-cut method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ for the first time... WOW! It actually works! I have my sled cutting to within .0013 of perfectly square over a 24" cut! I think that will do fine for woodworking! :)