PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 2000 Tablesaw outlet "Can it be enlarged?"

Kent Adams
05-18-2015, 7:51 AM
I'd like to make the dust collector outlet larger, perhaps 6 inches. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Bradley Gray
05-18-2015, 8:20 AM
I have a PM66. The dust collection is hooked up through the floor instead of the stock outlet.

Peter Quinn
05-18-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't have that particular saw, but I've seen a number of cabinet saws with enhanced dust port configurations. Baring anything structurally in your way you could use a 6" hole saw guided by a plywood template to open up the hole. Another option I've seen is to add a second 4" on another side and link the two via a wye to your 6" line, keeps more metal on the cabinet, gives a lot more suction.

Bradley Gray
05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Another thought: If you are after maximum dust collection an extra 4" port on a blade guard would make more of a difference.

Joe Jensen
05-18-2015, 11:10 AM
I bought a 5" hole saw and cut a larger hole in a PM66 years ago. I fitted a wood block in the 4" hole to guide the hole saw as I wanted to keep the hole in the same location. The base where I drilled was at least 1/8" thick steel but within 15 mins of slow cutting I had a 5" hole. I then bolted a 5" ring fitting to the saw to attach a short flex hose. Much better collection. With the 4" port I always had pools of dust in the corners. with the 5" port no pools. Do not expect collection from the base to make much difference at the top of the saw. You have to have a dust collection blade guard with a 3" or 4" hose to do well there.

Michael Roland
05-18-2015, 11:16 AM
The blade shroud on a PM2000 has a 4" connection so you would have to transition from 4" to 6" one of two ways:
4" - 6" adapter at the shroud and install a new 6" hose back to a new 6" connector at the back of the cabinet
leave the hose from the shroud at 4" and install at 4"-6" adapter at the new 6 connector for the cabinet

I don't think that changing from 4" to 6" for distance to the shroud is going to result in much better dust collection. YMMV If you are simply try to connect to 6" runs in you shop install an adapter at the outside of the cabinet. If you are try to improve dust collection consider an overarm blade guard with dust collection.

Kent Adams
05-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Another thought: If you are after maximum dust collection an extra 4" port on a blade guard would make more of a difference.

Thanks. I'm thinking of that as well.

Kent Adams
05-18-2015, 12:22 PM
The blade shroud on a PM2000 has a 4" connection so you would have to transition from 4" to 6" one of two ways:
4" - 6" adapter at the shroud and install a new 6" hose back to a new 6" connector at the back of the cabinet
leave the hose from the shroud at 4" and install at 4"-6" adapter at the new 6 connector for the cabinet

I don't think that changing from 4" to 6" for distance to the shroud is going to result in much better dust collection. YMMV If you are simply try to connect to 6" runs in you shop install an adapter at the outside of the cabinet. If you are try to improve dust collection consider an overarm blade guard with dust collection.

Thanks, I think you're right. Any recommendations on a blade guard?

Kent Adams
05-18-2015, 12:26 PM
I bought a 5" hole saw and cut a larger hole in a PM66 years ago. I fitted a wood block in the 4" hole to guide the hole saw as I wanted to keep the hole in the same location. The base where I drilled was at least 1/8" thick steel but within 15 mins of slow cutting I had a 5" hole. I then bolted a 5" ring fitting to the saw to attach a short flex hose. Much better collection. With the 4" port I always had pools of dust in the corners. with the 5" port no pools. Do not expect collection from the base to make much difference at the top of the saw. You have to have a dust collection blade guard with a 3" or 4" hose to do well there.

I'm not sure I could cut through that base, at least with my skill level and thickness of the steel. :) I might just go with the collection blade guard.

Joe Jensen
05-18-2015, 1:00 PM
If you remove the blade and look down into the blade shroud you will find that the opening for the dust collection below the blade is much smaller than 4", closer actually to the cross sectional area of a 3" hose. Putting a larger than 4" hose on that shroud won't help at all. I assume you are really trying to keep dust from flying around the shop. That's where a 4" hose on something like a shark guard is your best bet. I put a Felder blade guard on a Saw Stop ICS (before they had dust collection above the blade). I modified that Felder guard to take a 3" hose. I have the same setup now on my Felder KF700SP. I get so much suction that small scraps suck up into the blade guard. I still have marginal collection if I'm shaving less than a blade width off a board but otherwise really good.

Here is a pic of the first attempt. This is really a 2" effective connection at the guard to a 3" hose. Note, the smallest restriction in the line really drives 90% of the impact on CFM so the 2" is really a limiter here.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/SawStop/_NIK3560.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/AZEngineer/media/SawStop/_NIK3560.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/SawStop/_NIK3563.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/AZEngineer/media/SawStop/_NIK3563.jpg.html)

I'll take some pics of the current version on the Felder. I opened up the top of the guard a lot and I used a heat gun to shape a 3" collar to fit the opening I enlarged. It's a lot better airflow.

Kent Adams
05-18-2015, 6:27 PM
Wow, thanks Jason. This community is so helpful. I checked out the sharkguard. I think that's the way I'll go.