PDA

View Full Version : Need a Lawnmower Recommendation

George Bokros
05-17-2015, 9:56 PM
I have a 21" cut Honda mower that is about 11 - 12 yrs old. Three years ago I replaced the transmission at a cost of ~$300 - $350 at 8yrs service. Okay not bad. Now three years later it needs another transmission replacement at a cost of $300 - $350. I am hesitant to put the money into a mower that old so I guess I will replace it.

With the fact that the transmission went again in 3 yrs I am somewhat reluctant to buy another Honda. I think they made good mower engines but the transmission could be another issue. I am considering a Toro 21" self propelled with personal pace but not the blade clutch. That is just another item to fail and require replacment.

What are your thoughts on brand? The Toro I am considering has a Honda engine and the entire mower has a five year warranty.

I do not want to spend more than $500 - $550 for the mower. Maybe a cheaper one would be the best alternative and when something breaks toss it and buy another. My first mower lasted about 18 yrs, my second about 11 yrs and now my third about 11 yrs.

Thanks

Brian Elfert
05-17-2015, 10:03 PM
My suggestion would be another Honda. Never any problems with mine for 10 years except I think I replaced a cable. Mine is just about top of the line with the blade clutch. I didn't get the top end one with the electric start.

I don't think Toro is really that bad either. My Dad used Toro for years with very minor issues.

Mike Cutler
05-17-2015, 10:47 PM
The Toro's are nice units.
I've had two Honda's, and will have no more. They are fabulous machines, but when they break they are costly to fix, if Honda will still support them at all.
My first Honda, walk behind mower, lasted about 20 years. When it finally went, Honda no longer supported any parts for it. Sad part is that mechanically it was still fine. I needed the hand safety component that was integrated into the engine sub base assembly, or a way to defeat it. My second was a Lawn Tractor. It lasted about 12 years and then the electronics went. Honda no longer supported it, wouldn't fix it, but most galling of all, wouldn't give me, or sell me, the schematics to troubleshoot it myself. These were expensive machines in their day. Honda doesn't utilize simple contact switches in their products. Many times it is a sealed Triac Load-Pak assembly, that effects a crude logic gate circuit(s) that isn't easy to defeat, and costly to replace, if at all available.
I went with a John Deere for my tractor after my Honda experience, and my walk behind came from Home Depot.

Pretty much most of what you see, other than Honda and the high end mowers, are made by MTD. The parts across the lines are very similar. Sometimes the part numbers are identical.
Grab one in the color you like, and buy the replacement carb at the same time. Most all carb's are plastic now, and when they wear out, they're not as rebuildable any longer. If it's made by MTD, it won't have the "fit" of a Honda, but it's an odds on bet you'll always be able to get replacement parts.

Larry Frank
05-18-2015, 7:48 AM
I have gotten 10+ years from my Lawnboy.

Chuck Wintle
05-18-2015, 10:36 AM
I would buy the cheapest lawnmower available, use it and abuse it, and when worn out get another.

Brian Elfert
05-18-2015, 10:43 AM
If your Lawnboy is 10 years old then it is actually a Toro. Toro bought Lawnboy in 1989.

Michael Weber
05-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Purchased the 5hp Toro personl pace mower 9 or10 years ago. When the battery went bad I never replaced it because it still starts on the first pull. I did get it from a real mower shop and not a big box store.

Jerome Stanek
05-18-2015, 11:20 AM
I had a Lawn Boy that my FIL gave me when we got our first house in 1973. He had the receipt for it that was dated 1958 and I used it till 1980 when I bought a new Lawn Boy. I used that one till 2012 and it was still working but the wife wanted one for herself and I bought another. They just seem to last and last. All of them were self propelled.

Larry Browning
05-18-2015, 11:28 AM
I would buy the cheapest lawnmower available, use it and abuse it, and when worn out get another.
+1 for this idea. Except I would add getting a nice used one at a pawn shop. Around here you can get a very nice mower for less that $150, or a basic one for around $75 or even less. You can buy several of those babies for the price of one Toro or Honda.
They seem to be a seasonal item even at the pawn shops, lots of them available right now, but not so much as the summer winds down.

Wade Lippman
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
I am considering a Toro 21" self propelled with personal pace but not the blade clutch.

Not sure how old mine is as I got it used 3 years ago, but it starts first pull. Only maintenance was to replace the air filter.
My only complaint is that it fights me when I try to pull it backwards; but maybe they all do that, it is the only self propelled I have ever used.

I used the buy cheap and toss on my last one; a Yardman that lasted 12 years before the shaft broke.

Brian Elfert
05-18-2015, 12:27 PM
The 1970s era Lawnboys are really nice. They had magnesium decks with two cycle engine so they were very light and easy to push. They only cut 18" instead of the common 21" so they took a few extra passes to cut the grass.

I tend to use the buy once, cry once philosophy with major purchases like power equipment, appliances, furniture, and the like. I buy good stuff that costs, but it usually lasts too. For power equipment the more expensive models sometimes work better and make the job easier. I like the blade clutch on my mowers and they only put those on the expensive models typically. I don't like buying cheap stuff and replacing it every five years. It isn't good for the environment to keep throwing away cheap stuff although it helps the economy.

Paul McGaha
05-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Hi George,

The Toro you have in mind sounds pretty nice. Personally, I'm really happy with my Honda and I expect I'll replace it with another Honda when it goes. I think it's 4 years old this year so I'm hoping it will last several more years. Just my $.02.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Larry Browning
05-18-2015, 1:13 PM
I tend to use the buy once, cry once philosophy with major purchases like power equipment, appliances, furniture, and the like. I buy good stuff that costs, but it usually lasts too. For power equipment the more expensive models sometimes work better and make the job easier. I like the blade clutch on my mowers and they only put those on the expensive models typically. I don't like buying cheap stuff and replacing it every five years. It isn't good for the environment to keep throwing away cheap stuff although it helps the economy.

I generally agree with this philosophy, but like everything in life there are exceptions. I think a walk behind lawn mower is one of those exceptions.
What does a new top of the line Toro, Honda, or Lawnboy cost these? $500 to $700? How long with it last? 12 - 15 years? 20 years? If it needs repair during that time, you are looking at a minimum or $100 (probably more like $150-$200) to fix. A relatively nice used MTD mower can be had for around $100 to $150. It probably won't last more than 8 - 10 years, so you could buy 2 or 3 of them and still be money ahead. The cost of repair is also much lower than the "good stuff". Just sayin.
For me, however, I probably won't be doing either, I'm paying a neighborhood kid to mow mine these days. I'm just getting too old to do it myself, but mostly, I have never liked mowing and now that I can afford it, I got better things to do, like piddle in the shop!

Pat Barry
05-18-2015, 1:21 PM
...now that I can afford it, I got better things to do, like piddle in the shop!
You may want to get that looked at Larry!

Larry Browning
05-18-2015, 1:53 PM
You may want to get that looked at Larry!
Piddle has more than one meaning where I come from:eek:

Izzy Camire
05-18-2015, 2:14 PM
I have a Snapper I bought about 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. The setup of the drive is more an older design than the Personal Pace you are looking at but it is tried and true. They are owned by Briggs & Stratton

Matt Meiser
05-18-2015, 2:19 PM
I bought a Husqvarna last year. First use one of the driven wheels locked up. Bought a Husqvarna snow blower at the same time, about the 3rd use it wouldn't start, dealer found a hunk of what appeared to be casting flash in the carb. Luckily I've got a great dealer who went above and beyond to deal with both but kind of soured on Husqvarna.

I really like my Exmark 36" walkbehind, but that is a different class of machine all together.

Mike Wilkins
05-18-2015, 3:54 PM
Someone mentioned not buying from a big box store. I second that recommendation. I have discussed with many in the know, and from personal experience with 2 pressure washers, that these type retailers sell to a price point. Loosely translated, use it for a couple of years and be prepared to replace again. These machines may have a well-known brand name (Honda) but they are made to sell to users who are more concerned with cost than longevity. Go to a dealer that specialized in lawn equipment and caters to the pro landscaping companies.
I once got a $99 mower from WallyWorld which lasted for 4 years cutting my own lawn and one other. Best Benjamin I ever spent.

George Bokros
05-18-2015, 4:22 PM
Well I bought the Toro. Brought it home and it started once then would not start again. I went back they said the automatic choke system was not properly prepped prior to delivery. Started it three times in their lot and it started every time. Brought it home and it would not start. Took it back again and they guy told me the choke story again. (The automatic choke has a wax pellet that needs to melt and to do so the mower must run for at least five minutes). This time they gave a different unit of the same model and I took it home and it started on the first pull. I started it several times at home and it started each time on the first pull.

Hope all is well now.

George Bokros
05-18-2015, 4:25 PM
I have a Snapper I bought about 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. The setup of the drive is more an older design than the Personal Pace you are looking at but it is tried and true. They are owned by Briggs & Stratton

I had a Snapper once and the transmission housing was eaten up from me washing the mower out under neath. The shop said the acid in the grass combined with the water from washing it out eat up the housing. I stopped washing it out underneath and still had to replace the housing again. Plus the steel deck was damaged from the washing and grass acid.

Brian Elfert
05-18-2015, 5:44 PM
I spent a year or two using cheap push mowers at the fairgrounds I cut grass at and they were junk. They would literally go to the Kmart a mile away and buy the cheapest Lawnboy mowers they had. The stamped steel decks would start bending within days. My second or third summer there they started buying commercial Lawnboy mowers and the difference was night and day. The commercial units weighed more, but the decks didn't bend and the greased wheels meant they were easier to push.

A good push mower can make the difference between mowing the lawn being a miserable slog or a tolerable chore. If you are happy with the cheap mowers all the more power to you.

Jerome Stanek
05-18-2015, 6:33 PM
Well I bought the Toro. Brought it home and it started once then would not start again. I went back they said the automatic choke system was not properly prepped prior to delivery. Started it three times in their lot and it started every time. Brought it home and it would not start. Took it back again and they guy told me the choke story again. (The automatic choke has a wax pellet that needs to melt and to do so the mower must run for at least five minutes). This time they gave a different unit of the same model and I took it home and it started on the first pull. I started it several times at home and it started each time on the first pull.

Hope all is well now.

Before I ended up with my Lawn Boy I bought a Flymow it was really nice the first few times I used it but the same thing happened I could not get it started so I took it back to the dealer he started if the first pull got it home and again wouldn't start same thing took it back and it started first pull i did this 5 time luckily the dealer is just down the road on the 6th time taking it back the owner's son came out and tried to start it he worked for 10 minutes and it wouldn't start he was getting really pissed then the owner came out and he gave it a pull and it started right up. I said to the son that is what I have been complaining about. the owner said he would refund my money or I could get something else I got the Lawn Boy and never looked back

Larry Frank
05-18-2015, 7:18 PM
To each his own..I like to buy good equipment and maintain it and use it for years. I have several Stihl things and have used them for years. I set aside a day or so at Thanksgiving to service all my summer use equipment and same thing in the spring to put snowblower away and get out the summer equipment. I feel so smug when things start the first pull after sitting for months. Fresh gas, check plug, oil and then a pull.....Yesssss

Mac McQuinn
05-18-2015, 8:17 PM
George,
Perhaps looking at the used market for well kept, quality unit might be a good choice. I have a 1998 John Deere JX75 I bought new which have given me great service and it's been used hard. It has the Kawasaki engine, runs smoothly and starts 1st pull. Has a pressurized oil system with spin on filter. I cut a 1/3 acre, mulch and mulch leaves from (17) Maples in the fall. A little anal on maintenance, etc. although it runs and looks like it's a couple years old. I paid a small fortune for it although looking back, it was worth it. Good luck.
Mac

Don Morris
05-18-2015, 9:17 PM
After doing a lot of talking to repair people the consensus was that Honda engines were the gold standard. Can't even remember what brand I had but when it went I got a Toro with a Honda engine. Electric start, etc. It was heavy because of all the extras, and on my hill when I went to make a turn, it dug into the sod and made divots. So after about 4 years, I sold it for 1/4 the price to my son, and bought the lightest Toro made that was self propelled to minimize the divot problem. That was almost 10 years ago. My son is still using the Toro I sold him and I'm using the Toro I got as it's replacement. I've replaced the bag, a wire cable and a couple connectors, but nothing major.

Thomas Canfield
05-18-2015, 9:20 PM
I have a Cub Cadet 4 HP 21" with the floppy front wheels that is now over 12 years old, that Tractor Supply sells for about $400. It has a Honda engine, but I think that the engine has been changed. The mower starts the first time over 95% of time, even after sitting idle for a couple of months. Maintenance has been annual oil change, spark plugs (about every 2 years), and air filters. I liked it well enough to buy one about 10 years ago for my DIL that the grandchildren (all girls) now use. The floppy front wheels make it easy to steer and I often mow with only one hand. I normally use the mulching feature, but do use the rear bagger when picking up leaves after first going over them with mulching feature to compact them. Strongly recommend if you have source in area or online.

Jim Andrew
05-18-2015, 9:35 PM
Might be good for the young generation, if you have one running a lawn mowing business. Everything seems to being built as cheap as possible nowdays. I ordered some Honda parts, and the package says "made in indonesia".

George Bokros
05-18-2015, 10:11 PM
I got the Lawn Boy and never looked back

Lawn Boy and Toro are the same company.

Kevin Barnett
05-18-2015, 10:52 PM
I've had the Personal Pace mower for 12 years. The drive cable broke on year 12. I decided to go ahead and replace it with the same mower only with electric start. Now the women in my house can mow! Best money I could have spent.

Mark Patoka
05-19-2015, 11:11 AM
I bought the Toro Personal Pace about 8 years ago, still running fine and usually starts on the first pull. I do make sure to change the oil, spark plug and air filter at the beginning of each mowing season. I believe it has the Briggs and Stratton engine.

Bought it from Home Depot in Sept so it was end of season and they had it on sale to make room for Christmas decorations.

Val Kosmider
05-19-2015, 1:57 PM
I have a Toro Personal Pace mower. About ten years old. It has the Tecumseh engine, which I didn't realize has gone out of business until I tried to buy a carburetor rebuild kit. Other than the plastic wheel hubs wearing out from a LOT of use, it has been a reliable mower. The problem with the carb--it was difficult to start (four or five pulls) when warm--was the manifold gasket. There is an on-line outfit that bought all of the old Tecumseh parts so things are available.

Having said that, I would not buy a Toro Personal Pace again. The "Pace" part of it means that you push on the handles to make the drive engage. As you walk...your "personal pace"...the pressure which you exert against the handles engages the drive. The effect of this is constantly load your lower back as you "push" along.....and as one who has fractured that part of my body, it really starts to ache quite quickly. The Snapper or Honda (likely my next purchase) effectively "pull" you along as you engage the drive. Many (most?) people would not be bothered with this, but for me, it is a big deal.

Honda's cost a little more, but seem well built, have a good reputation, and will likely be my next choice.

Would NOT buy anything like a lawn mower from a big box store. They manufacture to a price point; for me, I want the units that are made to a quality standard.

Bruce Volden
05-19-2015, 8:14 PM
Alright, I guess it's my turn to chime in. The subject line of the OP was I need a lawn mower. My simple answer is to find a wife. duck and covering!

Bruce

Brian Elfert
05-19-2015, 8:26 PM
Would NOT buy anything like a lawn mower from a big box store. They manufacture to a price point; for me, I want the units that are made to a quality standard.

If Home Depot and other retailers sell a Honda mower that both have the same model number they darn well better be the exact same mower! I think the FTC would be interested if the same model number was sold with different quality parts.

When I bought my first Honda lawn mower nobody local besides Home Depot carried Honda so I bought my first one at HD. The local hardware store started carrying Honda six months later and actually had the same model for $10 less! My second Honda mower I also bought at Home Depot because I had a 10% off coupon plus I was able to buy Home Depot Gift cards for at least 20% off on Craigslist. No way was the hardware store going to give me over 30% off on a mower. (It was entirely my fault I had to buy a new one after 10 years due to not changing oil often enough.)

Warren Lake
05-21-2015, 4:32 PM
Always had cheap ones I do two properties and they get beat to crap. PUt air tires on them and its night and day more like a hovercraft and less rolling resistance or shock back to you, two large ditches to do here. Friend got me a Toro personal pace apart from not getting the same exercise the things starts first pull and can go faster than I can walk. Second year on it and its working perfect and im spoiled now with the personal pace thing you can use one hand and have a coffee in the other. Only negative i got spoiled by the air wheels I had put on the cheap ones and was probably in better shape from the old ones

Chance Turner
05-21-2015, 7:50 PM
I bought a Toro Super Recycler 3 years ago and love it. It's been a great mower. This is a step above what Home Depot sells and you can't find this at Home Depot. I have the electric key start, mower runs and starts great and the mulching blade works flawlessly. If memory serves me right I paid about $550 and it has a 5 year consumer warranty.Toro makes great products.

William Adams
05-21-2015, 8:29 PM
I finally broke down and replaced the reel mower my wife and I bought when we got married 23 years ago — bought a Fiskars stay sharp Max w/ an 18" cut. Unfortunately the yard got away from me a bit due to a combination of work, leisure activities w/ the kid and rain, but it’s remarkably faster to cut the grass than the 12—14" mower was.

A bit of effort to push it up the slopes and embankments which make up a significant portion of the yard though (it’s ~50lbs.)

Mark Blatter
05-26-2015, 2:48 PM
George,
Perhaps looking at the used market for well kept, quality unit might be a good choice. I have a 1998 John Deere JX75 I bought new which have given me great service and it's been used hard. It has the Kawasaki engine, runs smoothly and starts 1st pull. Has a pressurized oil system with spin on filter. I cut a 1/3 acre, mulch and mulch leaves from (17) Maples in the fall. A little anal on maintenance, etc. although it runs and looks like it's a couple years old. I paid a small fortune for it although looking back, it was worth it. Good luck.
Mac

My personal preference is the John Deere as well. I bought one about 1990, and yes, paid about $650 for it. I used that mower for many years cutting 1/3 an acre of grass, then made my kids use it. Finally, I passed it on to my son-in-law about 7 years ago. He just this year asked if I wanted it back as they had bought a new one. I didn't so he gave it to a friend as it is still running.

On the other hand, my father bought a Cub Cadet for his last mower. He had bought a house on the Missouri river and went from 2 acres of grass to mow to about 5 acres. He didn't have much else to do, so kept planting grass. His Cub Cadet was one of the big zero radius turn with about a 60" cutting swath at a time. He loved going out an mowing the grass with that thing. He swore it would about 20 mph, and it kept the bears off the property while it was running.