PDA

View Full Version : Another amateur bowl

Jim Young
06-03-2003, 7:07 PM
I'm finally learning how to NOT launch bowls off my lathe. Here are three pictures of a bowl made from crabapple. It measures 6 1/2" x 3". I finished it with the Beall system before my post asking how to use the system. The shape isn't very artistic but it is in one piece. I also got to use my new cole jaw set, that sure makes it easy to get rid of the big foot.

Jim Young
06-03-2003, 7:08 PM
Don't know how to post multiple pitures yet.

Jim Young
06-03-2003, 7:08 PM
One more.

Jim Becker
06-03-2003, 7:17 PM
Jim, don't be so concerned with the "artistic" aspects of a functional turning. This is a beautiful piece of work and you did a great job on it...especially considering fruit woods can move a lot even when you are actually turning them! The wood speaks for itself, too, with great color and interest. Make more...;)

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-03-2003, 7:19 PM
looks like you held this one together pretty well, Jim! I like the grain pattern in it. Even the simple design looks good. I really like the finish you got with the Beal system. I'm hoping to get one soon myself. I know a lot of the other turners have them and have shown some beautiful stuff. Keep up the good work and especially keep posting the picts! Have fun turning.

John Davidson
06-03-2003, 8:57 PM
I think it looks great. I have always liked to look of crabapple but everything that I have ever truned with it has cracked.

Jim Baker
06-03-2003, 9:46 PM
Nice job, Jim. I especially like the variable color pattern. Thanks for posting.

Tom Sweeney
06-03-2003, 9:55 PM
I like it a lot - very functional & I like the different grain & the grain orientation.

I'm going to try my first turning this weekend - if I can find the time. I need to set up my little lathe - I'll make sure to not put it near any windows:D

John Miliunas
06-03-2003, 10:51 PM
...to tag the subject line with "amateur"! I appreciate a good looking piece of wood turned into something beautiful and functional! You've accomplished both, Jim. As Jim Becker indicates, your concern with artistic rendering is unfounded. Simplicity is an art-form unto itself. Fact is, I have a heckuva' time just trying to make a "simple" bowl! I usually end up digging in on it about halfway up or something, so instead of really shrinking it down, I'll end up sculpting an extra profile or two into it. Usually looks OK, but NOT what I had intended. Oh, and not launching it into the stratosphere is a good thing, too!:D :D :cool:

Anthony Yakonick
06-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Nice work, seems there's a good number of folks who like to step into the "dark side"

Lee Patz
06-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Jim that is beautiful!

Excellent finish, and it really brings out the grain pattern.
I like it very much. Thanks for sharing.
Lee

Mike Schwing
06-04-2003, 9:08 AM
I really like that bowl! I'm so impressed by you guys with your turnings. I just have too many things I want to do with the tools I own currently to get into turning, but I badly want to begin. I figure it'll give me something new to learn and obsess on a few years down the road if I can continue to resist the temptation.

I neighbor's crabapple tree fell a month ago and I have two pretty large sections from the trunk sitting in the yard patiently waiting for me to do something with them. Yes, I painted the end grain. You gave me inspiration.

Jennifer@Indy.USA
06-07-2003, 12:24 AM
Hi Jim,

Nice job! Glad to see you turning!

Jen :)