PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch Jointer

Matt Hardy
05-17-2015, 6:47 PM
Can anyone tell me about this PM 8 inch Jointer. The add reads: This jointer is about 30 years old, it was used by a small shop custom furniture maker for about 5 years. It has not been used for the past 25 years.

He is asking $300. Seem like a good deal would you guys agree?

http://img.ksl.com/mx/mplace-classifieds.ksl.com/603025-1431898360-804070.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1

Bill Space
05-17-2015, 7:04 PM
Run do not walk. It will be gone in a heartbeat if in usable condition!

daryl moses
05-17-2015, 7:04 PM
That's a great price. If it's in good shape and single phase. Chances are it's 3 phase.

Bill Space
05-17-2015, 7:07 PM
Even if three phase VFDs are cheap....that price is a steal for a usable PM 8" jointer.

I'd sure buy it... If operational.

Scott Cenicola
05-17-2015, 7:13 PM
I hope you are on your way. I found something similar a few weeks ago. Hemmed and hawed for about an hour. Went back to the CL ad to call, and it was gone!

Matt Hardy
05-17-2015, 7:24 PM
Here are two more pictures: http://img.ksl.com/mx/mplace-classifieds.ksl.com/603025-1431898332-772076.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1http://img.ksl.com/mx/mplace-classifieds.ksl.com/603025-1431898376-991868.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1

Allan Speers
05-17-2015, 7:48 PM
Please tell me those are pics of the PM in YOUR SHOP !

You'll probably never see a deal like that, on a top-quality machine, for many a year. Wow.

Henry Kramer
05-17-2015, 7:54 PM
If it's in good shape you could add $1000 in front of that number and it would still sell.

Matt Hardy
05-17-2015, 8:03 PM
Here is the problem. The machine is about 1:30 min away and I am leaving out of town on business early tomorrow morning until next Thursday. I have been looking for a nice used 8 inch for months and it happens to come along tonight of all nights. I called the guy and asked him to come see/get it tonight but he said its at his wife and they are separated and he needs more notice to show me. He was really nice and agreed to not sell it until I have a chance to look at it on Thursday night. Basically told me it was mine. We will see. Someone will probably call him and make him an offer he can't refuse and I will get screwed out of the deal.

Tom M King
05-17-2015, 8:05 PM
I'd buy it, and I don't even need another one.

Matt Day
05-17-2015, 8:20 PM
Definitely buy it!

Nice of him to say he'll hold it but you never know. Hopefully he's a man of his word.

Allan Speers
05-17-2015, 8:39 PM
Wire / bank transfer him the money tonight, or first thing tomorrow before you leave, if at all possible.

Mark Blatter
05-17-2015, 8:58 PM
Send your wife, your son, daughter, the neighbor kid, even your brother....well not your brother unless you are sure he won't go behind your back and buy it for himself.

Scott Brandstetter
05-17-2015, 8:59 PM
Holy crap, I agree with the others, go get that machine. Let us know that you got it and show some pic's once in your shop

Kent A Bathurst
05-17-2015, 11:18 PM
Or, tell us where it is and we can handle it............

roger wiegand
05-18-2015, 8:04 AM
I'd buy it in an instant. Just send him the money now!

Dennis Aspö
05-18-2015, 8:09 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar! 300 times over!

eugene thomas
05-18-2015, 8:20 AM
If he holds it you are VERY lucky. When I sold items on CL only held item if had down payment or person told me their on way to see.

Harold Weaver
05-18-2015, 9:20 AM
Drop everything and go get it. At $300, even if it is a 3PH you can go VFD or even buy a new 1PH motor and STILL be ahead of the game. I'd arrange a way to pay him and pick it up later. I have the PM50, the 6" version that is a 1962 model and wouldn't give it up for any new shiny one that is currently available!! The 8" PM60 for $300, that is insane. Others will jump on this one if you don't.

julian abram
05-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Definitely a good buy. $300 is about the average price for a used middle of the road 6" jointer around here.

Matt Hardy
05-22-2015, 7:10 PM
So it worked out. The guy actually kept his word and held it for me. He lived in a pretty rural area but even with that he said he wrote down 10 individuals who wanted to get in line behind me and several that offered him more than his asking price. I am still a rookie when it comes to much of this but the jointer seemed to run well and was very quiet and with no vibration. The beds and the fence seem to not be warped and were coplaner. There is some staining on the beds but no major gouges or dings. The belt is starting to wear but it also came with a nice push stick and an extra set of blades. Another bonus was he was the original owner and seemed to have taken good care of it. Here are some more pictures of it sitting in the area that will soon be my wood shop. I have a couple questions to all you out there that I was hoping you could answer. 1. The motor is only 1.5 HP but seems to run strong. Will that be enough? Again I am not planning on going crazy so I hope it will be sufficient for my needs. 2. The depth meter/gauge had green paint in it (see below). Is that normal or has it been repainted at some point? I asked him about it and he said it came that way. I have also seen another Model 60 with the same paint in the same spot so maybe they did come like that. 3. Any suggestions on a replacement switch? I would like to upgrade it at some point.

Evan Patton
05-22-2015, 7:14 PM
1 1/2 HP should be plenty, especially from that Leeson motor. Looks like you got yourself a gem. Congrats!

Kent A Bathurst
05-22-2015, 7:41 PM
Ignore the depth gauge. I do. They are not accurate enough to rely on - you take off what you need to take off to get the job done. It gives you an idea of "a scootch more" or "a scootch less".

Nice man - You owe him your thanks, which I am sure you passed along.

Good score. We are all jealous. And, in the words of the estimable Bill Murray:

Myk Rian
05-22-2015, 8:27 PM
I bought a Rockwell 8" for $300. Took me 3 seconds, or less to decide on buying it. Count your blessings.

Matt Hardy
05-22-2015, 10:55 PM
I just realized it is missing the red Powermatic name badge on the front. No big deal but I knew it was missing something but I couldn't quite figure it out.

Dennis Aspö
05-23-2015, 3:18 AM
1.5hp seems a bit small to my ears, I took a 5hp motor off my much smaller jointer (so it can power a DC blower) and am putting a 3hp one there instead. I thought, I hope it's powerful enough.

Allan Speers
05-23-2015, 3:37 AM
Whew... Happy ending !

-----------------

Dennis, you are serious about 5 HP, or kidding?

The current Powermatic 8" PJ882 "only" has 2 HP, and that's made for heavy duty use. I'm no expert, but I would think 1.5 HP is plenty for a hobbyist, who has the time to take light passes. I'm assuming you were making a joke. If not, I just GOTTA' know what kind of wood would require even 3 HP on an 8" cutterhead. :eek:

Dennis Aspö
05-23-2015, 4:03 AM
No I thought 5HP was overkill too, but 3HP should be around what I need as that is what the machine came with when I bought it, said motor was broken though so I found the 5hp one used but working for 25 euros and put it on instead. So given that a 3HP (2.2kw) one was what came with my little 8" Emco Rex B20 jointer/planer, I thought 1.5HP for a much larger and sturdier jointer seemed a bit small.

I don't plane anything particularly exotic, just a lot of it at the same time, it's a small machine but I've jointed & planed out 8ft lengths of 2x8 construction lumber on this machine and I noticed it slowed down when it was hogging off the entire width of the 2x8 on the planer section, but I suppose it could as well have been the transmission lines tension that was slipping.

e: Here's my 3HP replacement for my jointer/planer:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231108-Open-frame-induction-motor-for-cheap-would-you-go-for-it

Judson Green
05-23-2015, 5:18 AM
1. The motor is only 1.5 HP but seems to run strong. Will that be enough? Again I am not planning on going crazy so I hope it will be sufficient for my needs.

Plenty of power, don't give it a second thought.

2. The depth meter/gauge had green paint in it (see below). Is that normal or has it been repainted at some point? I asked him about it and he said it came that way. I have also seen another Model 60 with the same paint in the same spot so maybe they did come like that.

Clean it up with some lacquer thinner if you want to but really doesn't matter that's not something I ever used on my jointer. you'll learn to set up more by feel or by the gap between the fence and indeed bed.

3. Any suggestions on a replacement switch? I would like to upgrade it at some point.

Check out Grizzly tools for a magnet switch

Nick Stokes
05-23-2015, 8:47 AM
Awesome. You've got your forever jointer. You can cross that off the list.

Jebediah Eckert
05-23-2015, 9:45 AM
Get score for sure.

Matt Hardy
02-11-2017, 10:23 PM
So I am finally getting this Jointer up and working in my shop and I am trying get the dust collection dialed in. When I purchased it from the last owner it had this sheet metal fitting attached via Velcro. It is actually working ok but I thought I would upgrade it a bit and I am hoping the Creekers vast knowledge might assist. What would be the best way to attach to my collection system? Is a 4" port sufficient? If you go with 6"do you basically have to build it yourself with plywood and PVC fittings? If that is the case what is the best approach? 353801

Chris Hachet
02-12-2017, 2:08 AM
Even if three phase VFDs are cheap....that price is a steal for a usable PM 8" jointer.

I'd sure buy it... If operational.Bingo...and with a 3 phase motor you don't have a capacitor to go bad...and VFD's have a nice soft start feature...

Chris Hachet
02-12-2017, 2:09 AM
I hope you are on your way. I found something similar a few weeks ago. Hemmed and hawed for about an hour. Went back to the CL ad to call, and it was gone!I had the same thing happen with a nice Delta 8 inch Jointer here in Columbus...and it was more than the jointer the OP talked about...

Chris Hachet
02-12-2017, 2:10 AM
If it's in good shape you could add $1000 in front of that number and it would still sell.

Ohhh absolutely...good woodworking equipment does not seem to depreciate much.

Chris Hachet
02-12-2017, 2:12 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar! 300 times over!Agreed....must be even harder to find good equipment in Finland. I live in Columbus Ohio, a city of two million people in the middle of a state with a lot of jobs and manufacturing....there is not a lot of decent used woodworking equipment for sale even here.

Joseph Montroy
02-12-2017, 8:24 AM
Congrats! I have the same machine, but paid considerably more money for it ($800) and still considered it well worth it. I eventually upgraded mine to a Byrd head. A very easy upgrade and very worth thinking about imo. Congrats, you will love that jointer!

Sam Layton
02-12-2017, 8:53 AM
HI Matt,

Great find. I think I would go with a 6" Port for the dust collection. However, it depends what type of dust collector you have. What type of opening is there now?

You seem eager to upgrade something... I think the motor is large enough. Perhaps, the motor may need, or could use new bearings. I agree with Joseph, I think a very good upgrade would be the Byrd cutter head. I have a 14" General planer, and I installed the Byrd cutter head. What a difference it made. It is quiet, and cuts very smooth.

Sam

Bill Adamsen
02-12-2017, 8:59 AM
Matt ... how folks do this depends on factors like ... how fast it needs to get done (can I make it now from what I have in the shop) to a nice planned solution. I have followed both approaches and everything in between. For the latter, companies like Spiral make rectangular to round transitions either concentric (centered) or eccentric (offset). You would probably want the flange out for easy attachment. This stuff tends to be made in 18 or 20 gauge which is very heavy duty and paintable. They make them to order so you get to define the length of the transition, angles, etc. A very nice solution. Theirs are heavy duty enough to attach a gate or quick disconnect or both. If I need to move the tool (I see yours is on wheels) I put a quick disconnect (bayonet) on the hose to facilitate removal and reattachment.

I have 120mm - about 5" - and it works fine for my 16" jointer. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

larry senen
02-12-2017, 10:20 AM
if it works ,,, leave it alone. 4" is plenty. 6" might even reduce air speed enough to cause chips to fall out of the air stream.

glenn bradley
02-12-2017, 11:03 AM
My 8" jointer has run on a 4" port and has never had an issue collecting . . . oh, except for when I forget to turn the DC on.

Matt Hardy
02-12-2017, 11:24 AM
HI Matt,

Great find. I think I would go with a 6" Port for the dust collection. However, it depends what type of dust collector you have. What type of opening is there now?

You seem eager to upgrade something... I think the motor is large enough. Perhaps, the motor may need, or could use new bearings. I agree with Joseph, I think a very good upgrade would be the Byrd cutter head. I have a 14" General planer, and I installed the Byrd cutter head. What a difference it made. It is quiet, and cuts very smooth.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I am OK leaving it how it is but the current dust connector is lacking. It is home made and with the use of Velcro it has collected sawdust on it and is now basically falling off. I have Jet 2HP Cyclone that will be hooked up directly to it at the moment. Eventually I will run an entire ducted system to the whole shop with a separator. The machine had four holes drilled in it now about 12 inches apart. I am thinking about mounting a piece of plywood with these four holes and then add an additional connection to the plywood. This would prevent me from drilling new holes in the machine. I just don't see any 6 inch dust hoods for jointers out there so I am guessing I will need to make my own out of plywood and PVC fittings?

Matt Hardy
02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
My 8" jointer has run on a 4" port and has never had an issue collecting . . . oh, except for when I forget to turn the DC on.

Thanks Glen. This was exactly the info I was looking for. I probably should have made a new post just asking specifically who uses a 4" port on an 8" jointer and how it works for them.

Patrick Curry
02-13-2017, 12:02 AM
I'm running a Harbor Freight D.C. to my 8" planer though a 4" port and I don't even get saw dust on the beds. Leave the 4"- it's plenty.

Chris Hachet
02-13-2017, 8:12 AM
I'm running a Harbor Freight D.C. to my 8" planer though a 4" port and I don't even get saw dust on the beds. Leave the 4"- it's plenty.

This is good to know, as I am not even running Dust collection at the moment and need to upgrade.

lowell holmes
02-13-2017, 9:38 AM
Hey guys,

This thread is two years old. :)

Apparently, some issues never go away.

Matt Hardy
02-13-2017, 2:30 PM
Hey guys,

This thread is two years old. :)

Apparently, some issues never go away.

Yes Lowell I bought the jointer several years ago but I am just now getting around to getting the DC hooked up to it and thought I would ask the group currently what my best options are when it comes to DC for jointers. Would you have preferred me to start a new thread instead of revive the old one?

Chris Hachet
02-13-2017, 3:31 PM
Yes Lowell I bought the jointer several years ago but I am just now getting around to getting the DC hooked up to it and thought I would ask the group currently what my best options are when it comes to DC for jointers. Would you have preferred me to start a new thread instead of revive the old one?Actually I learned a few things from the old one...

Phillip Mitchell
02-13-2017, 9:02 PM
I also run a HF collector with thien baffle and 4" flex hose and I've never had any issue with chip collection on the jointer. Dust collection on jointers and planers is pretty straight forward and easy because it's 98% big chips (as opposed to fine dust) that the machines are producing.

That is a heck of a score! Just read through this thread. You really made out well with that deal. The jointer look pristine!

Dave Zellers
02-13-2017, 9:20 PM
I have never understood the problem with reviving an old thread.

I have an 8" Grizzly jointer with a 4" connection, and yes it's usually fine. That's not to say there aren't times when I've had to remove the hose and clean out the jointer chute. And like GB, it might have been triggered by not turning on the DC. :D

Fugetaboutit.

Matt Hardy
02-13-2017, 9:33 PM
I also run a HF collector with thien baffle and 4" flex hose and I've never had any issue with chip collection on the jointer. Dust collection on jointers and planers is pretty straight forward and easy because it's 98% big chips (as opposed to fine dust) that the machines are producing.

That is a heck of a score! Just read through this thread. You really made out well with that deal. The jointer look pristine!

Thanks Phillip. I am pretty excited about the score. I am lucky enough to have a very flexible job that allows me some time everyday to check local listings. I have purchased almost everything for my shop used and for relatively good deals. Some more than others but this and the Unisaw (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251299-What-can-you-tell-me-about-this-Table-Saw) I picked up cheap have to be at the top of the list as the best deals I have come across. Both need some work although the Jointer only needs some new knives and a new DC connection and it will run great. As a hobbyist I want all the greatest stuff but no income to justify it with so for me finding deals mean everything. I also spent 5 years of my adult life working for DeWalt so that got me a head start with most everything else at "free" or relatively low cost including a Dewalt DW735 Planer. I am still building things up slowly and I have a dedicated shop space that is about 16X30 that is almost complete so I hope to start turning out projects here by the end of the year. Its a slow process when you are raising a family and working everyday.

lowell holmes
02-13-2017, 11:39 PM
I didn't mean to offend. I was just noting that the thread is two years old. There is no reason to start a new thread.