PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-715. Which chuck can I buy

Sam Beagle
05-17-2015, 5:36 PM
Title says it. New to turning. But obsessed with it. I've outgrown the head plate, and now wanna buy a nova chuck. I have no clue what to buy. Can someone give me exactly what to get. Thanks. I'm learning so much from this forum.

Sam Beagle
05-17-2015, 6:44 PM
Please. I wanna buy one tonight. Someone help me here.

Roger Chandler
05-17-2015, 9:00 PM
what thread is on your spindle?

David Delo
05-17-2015, 9:25 PM
Nova G3 would be my vote

Curtis Myers
05-18-2015, 7:17 AM
Their is another thread discussing the "Easy Chuck" and chucks in general.

I just purchased a Nova Infinity chuck because I can change jaws very quickly without removing screws.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231041-Anyone-using-the-quot-Easy-Chuck-quot

All the Best
Curt

charlie knighton
05-18-2015, 8:03 AM
call craft supplies 1-800-551-8876 ask for catalog top quality woodturning products.......there are other quality catalog distributors out there.....start search from there

Sam Beagle
05-18-2015, 1:49 PM
Now wait a minute. Are you guys saying I can buy whatever chuck I want and it will fit my lathe???

Matt Schrum
05-18-2015, 2:07 PM
Most chucks should work as long as they are in line with what you want to use them for (pens or bowls or...). However, make sure that the chuck will fit on your lathe. You should be able to find this info in the manual or lathe propaganda somewhere. You're looking for something along the lines of Spindle size: 1" x 8 TPI. This would mean that where the chuck attaches is a 1" diameter shaft threaded with 8 threads per inch (TPI)-- those numbers may be different for your lathe and that's what you need to make sure matches the chuck you're buying. Lots of chucks will have adapters to fit your lathe, but again, you need to know those numbers so you know what adapter to order.

Thom Sturgill
05-18-2015, 4:49 PM
According to information online that machine has a 3/4hp motor and a 1"8tpi spindle with #2 morse taper. The motor size would indicate that you want to stick to the smaller chucks such as the G3. Larger chucks like the SN2 may be too heavy and the Titan definitely too heavy. The speed range of that lathe (minimum 450 rpm) might make it unsuitable for large, unbalanced bowl blanks.

There are many chucks in the 1-8tpi size with threaded bodies. The Penn State Industries (PSI) barracuda come to mind. Other chucks use inserts to adapt them to the spindle size. The G3 is available both ways. Getting a chuck with an adapter will allow you to continue using the chuck if you upgrade to a larger lathe by simply replacing the adapter.