PDA

View Full Version : "Sand-o-Flex" ca 1976

David Ragan
05-17-2015, 4:09 PM
Well, I am on staycation all week, burned out on TV, too tired to use tools-lest I cripple myself, and am going through my FWW archive.

Check this out:

Anyone ever used one of these? Looks like it might put a bit of dust in the air......

I graduated from HS in 76---guess we didn't appreciate dangers of inhaled stuff back then?

Tom M King
05-17-2015, 4:14 PM
I have one probably bought about that time, maybe even from that ad, and do still use it. It not only works quite well, but really fast. I use it outside on a windy day, and still wear a respirator. Refills are still available. Works best on a corded 2500 rpm drill. I graduated from HS in 68.

Mel Fulks
05-17-2015, 4:29 PM
I've got one I bought about 1990 for a specific use,don't use it now. I think they still make them. Think they make the refills in split "finger " style and unsplit flap style. The flap type are easily home made from the edges of used wide belts.

Stew Hagerty
05-17-2015, 4:52 PM
I have never used a flap style sander, the exception being ones for my dremel. Instead I use Sanding Mops from the makers of the Sand Flee. Instead of flaps they are layer after layer of paper placed on a spindle, with each layer offset from the one below it by about 45*. before using them for the first time it is recommended that you install it in a drill driver or drill press run it up onto high speed then run a dowel or a stick deep into it. That will break apart the clipped fingers on both ends of each layer (as you can see in the pictures). they are great for finish sanding oddly shaped objects or molded edges. It is also great for sanding the inside of bowls, or trays. With multiple sizes and grits it is the perfect power sanding attachments for a wide range of projects.

http://www.rjrstudios.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Tom M King
05-17-2015, 5:43 PM
The Sand-O-Flex has brushes behind each of the exits around the perimeter where the sandpaper comes out. It will get down in the recesses of about anything. To advance the sandpaper you unscrew the small knob, but it doesn't have to come off, and then the larger thin disk is rotated a couple of notches to allow the sandpaper to sling out. It takes longer to fiddle with letting the paper out than it does to do it's work.

The newer ones have plastic bodies, whereas mine, like the one in the ad, are aluminum.

Wade Lippman
05-17-2015, 7:24 PM
I bought one at a garage sale; thought it might be good for sanding spindles. Never used it, don't know where it is.
With everyone's praise, maybe I should look for it.

John Lanciani
05-17-2015, 7:57 PM
I have two, loaded with different grits. I make a hundred or so shaker boxes a year and the sand o flex makes short work of sanding the outsides if the boxes, especially around the fingers, without damaging the copper tacks. I use them mounted in the drill chuck of a shopsmith and bring the box to the sander.

David Ragan
05-18-2015, 5:45 AM
Those are some impressive endorsements. If I had enough odd shaped stuff, I might be tempted to relieve myself of some cash over it.

Larry Frank
05-18-2015, 7:46 AM
I have that exact one and it is good for small pieces. It is not too aggressive and will rounders a bit. One can also use a sanding mop or Mac sander for more aggressive sanding on small or irrelevant parts. The last two can be bought at Klingspor Woodworking Store.

Edward Oleen
06-10-2015, 9:03 PM
I hit Google with Sand-O-Flex, and what I found looks like a plain old flap sander to me. I've made a couple, in different sizes. I used plumber's emery cloth in my first one - cut out a pair of circles about 2-1/2 inches in diameter, drilled the center for a 3/8x16 threaded rod and the edge for #6 metal screws - 8 places.

Ran the screws into one disk, cut 3" lengths of emery cloth, stapled loops in one end of each and slipped them onto the bolts. Then I put the "bottom" disk on and put on the nuts. The 3/8x16 threaded rod has a couple of nuts holding the disks fixed to it, and a coupling nut on the end to grab with the DP chuck.

Works great. The emery cloth wears out fairly rapidly, but it is easy to replace. I use scissors to cut off the worn out ends so I get to use just about the whole length of the emery cloth.

It does do a great job on oddly shaped pieces, such as the bud vase holders I make. It not only smooths the flat surfaces but also puts a nice curved on the corners.

Took me maybe half an hour to make and saves me lots of time - maybe hours - doing the sanding by hand. Not so good on sanding the insides of rectangular pieces - boxes and stuff- but then I have already finish sanded the wood prior to finall cut-to-size and assembly.

Brian W Smith
06-11-2015, 7:58 AM
From a DC pov.

Imagine a sheet metal hood that is a half circle looking at it from the end.But,inside this 4" "wide(or whatever the sanding head width)......there's another,nested,if you will,hoody.Which extends out,thereby reducing the "opening".Now,introduce an adj(simple mini regulator) supply of inlet air,tuning the hoody.....it's like magic when you get it right.

The whole hood rotates on the spindles axis......to the point that the whole hood can spin a 360.One caveat,on the end of the unit,there should be a clearance hole for getting to sander heads spindle nut.Ours is like this on a buffer,it is really nice in use.The buffer slings,"stuff" which leaves skid marks,haha.You can see however,exactly what the rooster tail looks like.

David Ragan
06-11-2015, 7:45 PM
Whilst perusing the old WW journals, I have noticed that the awesome Sand-o-Flex has disappeared, and the "Sand-Rite" has taken its place. No photo. Sorry.

Looks about the same. Happened in early 90s.

Mel Fulks
06-11-2015, 9:14 PM
Whilst perusing the old WW journals, I have noticed that the awesome Sand-o-Flex has disappeared, and the "Sand-Rite" has taken its place. No photo. Sorry.

Looks about the same. Happened in early 90s.
I think the newer one has more grit o bites.