PDA

View Full Version : Re-toothed Disston Panel Saw

lowell holmes
05-17-2015, 3:19 PM
I re-toothed my Disston Panel saw with a 6" slim taper sc saw file. It is a Grobet USA American Pattern Saw File.
The file performed well. It did not dull that I can detect from this one sharpening. I was concerned with all of the
recent reports about saw files being soft. I'm not recommending the files, but thought you might like to know what
I experienced. The files arrived this week. I ordered them through Amazon. I bought a box of 12 files.

The teeth are shaped, so now on to sharpening. I re-toothed it 8tpi with 15 degrees of rake, I will sharpen it with 20
degrees of fleam. I am able to do this because I have Ron Herman's saw sharpening video.
After filing the the saw
plate smooth, removing all of the old teeth, I colored the smooth tooth line with the red marker.The red helps seeing
where your at if distracted and I need all the help I can get.

Jim Matthews
05-17-2015, 6:49 PM
Brave man, to bite the bullet and go all out.

I take teeth down, a little at a time.
Grobet Swiss files are first quality.

kudos

Joe Bailey
05-17-2015, 8:53 PM
I am able to do this because I have Ron Howard's saw sharpening video.

Wait a minute -- Opie* has a saw sharpening video?

Sorry Lowell, couldn't resist. I know you meant Ron Herman.

*For those of you too young to remember, Opie Taylor was played by Ron Howard on the old Andy Griffith show

lowell holmes
05-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Wait a minute -- Opie* has a saw sharpening video?

Sorry Lowell, couldn't resist. I know you meant Ron Herman.

*For those of you too young to remember, Opie Taylor was played by Ron Howard on the old Andy Griffith show

I certainly remember the Andy Griffith show. I must have been having a senior moment when I posted the message. :)

Jim, actually It took 7 or 7 passes before I finished shaping the teeth. I was able to make the spacing pretty uniform by adjusting the teeth that way.

Gary Herrmann
05-21-2015, 8:01 PM
One of these days, I'm going to give that a try.

Oh, ah uh Aaannndy - Floyd the barber

lowell holmes
05-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Here are photos of the sharpened panel saw making a test cut. The saw is an eight point saw.

OBTW, the one Grobet USA file I used still has at least another saw left on the one side of the file that I used.
I am pleased with the American Pattern files. I used a 6" slim taper file. I bought a box of 12 on Amazon.