PDA

View Full Version : Not that I'm cheap, but..

steven c newman
05-16-2015, 8:59 PM
Went to a village-wide yard sale event today. Seemed like evey other house had stuff for sale. Nose was picking up rusty items from down the block..

First place, I spent a dollar bill for a couple 24" long clamps
This is one of the two clamps. That box? $2 for it, had a bunch of rusty, old wrenches inside it
and a couple chisels
The longer one was a bit like a mushroom. Got three pairs of pliers for a dollar bills, as well. Got the treasures home, soaked the rained on stuff in WD40. Cleaned the pliers. The shorter chisel was cleaned and sharpened up. 1-1/2" wide, but no names on the handle. Lots of white lines, though. Now, anout that "mushroom". had a chunk of old Barn Wood scrap, fired up the old lathe, and turned a new handle for this LONG 1/2" Firmer style chisel
Not too bad. There is a name on the chisel....T. H. Wilhelm (??) Warranted. LONG body to the chisel
and a look at the cleaned up short chisel
So, for about $4, not too bad a rainy day? (Spent more on food and snacks)

Jim Koepke
05-16-2015, 9:19 PM
Not a bad haul, my money would have likely also been spent.

jtk

Jim Matthews
05-17-2015, 3:17 PM
$4 ?

I spent more on parking at the local Rotary flea market.

You suck, dude.

Stew Denton
05-17-2015, 3:19 PM
Steven,

Very nice job on the chisel! I have 3 or so to redo myself, but don't have a lathe. Maybe some day, or can use a friends lathe. The problem for me will be that I have never done any lathe work, so that will be something new for me.

Me....I am kind of cheap....are you sure you aren't? (Just kidding about you, but not about me.)

Stew

Rick Whitehead
05-17-2015, 4:36 PM
"There is a name on the chisel....T. H. Wilhelm (??) Warranted. LONG body to the chisel"

T. H. Witherby, Winstead, Connecticut. Maker of very good chisels.
Rick W

steven c newman
05-17-2015, 11:04 PM
One of those bigger wrenches that got cleaned up today....had the letters for the old Traction Line Co. that ran through the area C.S.& N. I think it says. Another is by Bonney, and a third one is by Snap-on. As is the tool chest. There are three single ended wrenches labeled as "Wright"
Some sort of bike wrench. A rail spike? Some sort of chisel-like object, been ground to an edge at the tapered end. There was also a nail set. Maybe the box alone was worth .....$2? Will clean it up, maybe get some Rustoleum after it?

Patrick Bernardo
05-18-2015, 8:13 AM
Second in from the right on the first picture, next to the spike, looks like a beer faucet wrench. I suppose it could be an old bottom bracket wrench for a bike, but the ones I've seen are shaped differently. Of course I could be totally wrong.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-18-2015, 8:44 AM
Steven, you probably know there are railroad collectors that will buy practically anything related to it. Your C.S. & N. wrench may just be worth more than you paid for it all. I'm not a railroad or wrench collector, but I know they exist.

Jim Koepke
05-18-2015, 11:26 AM
I am curious about the chisel rehabilitation.

Did you jut grind off the mushrooming or do you have another way of dealing with it?

jtk

steven c newman
05-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Grinder seems to work, IF you take it a bit slow. Trying NOT to overheat the steel. Need a better way to remove the junk on the inside, though. Drill bit is a bit "grabby".

More info came in today:
Three Tappet Wrenches were By Wright Tool & Forge Co., Barberton, OH. 1920-1930
The Bonney open end wrench #2538 is a CV brand obstruction Brake wrench...1923

The Snap-On tool box has been cleaned up, and a coat of rustoleum applied, just to stop all that rust
Inside was a bear to clean up, outside was a little better
LOT of sanding was going on, wiped it all down
After a coat or two. This box is stamped as a Snap-On. The handle was an owner added feature. The box WAS a green colour under all that rust. Not the newer red they use nowadays.. Latch on the front is ...toast/FUBAR. Not sure IF I can replace it.
This is just to stop any more rust from getting started. Will try to see what this box held, when new, IF I can. May have to flag a Snap-On Dealer's truck down and see what they say....

Jim Koepke
05-18-2015, 1:42 PM
Grinder seems to work, IF you take it a bit slow. Trying NOT to overheat the steel. Need a better way to remove the junk on the inside, though. Drill bit is a bit "grabby".

Thanks for the reply. It looks like there is more socket than what was there at the beginning.

Will try to see what this box held, when new, IF I can.

Looks like typical socket holding trays. May have been for a few different driver sizes.

jtk

steven c newman
05-18-2015, 6:27 PM
Next mytery tool in this Pandora's Box....Nail set has a hex style top where one strikes it to sink a nail at. There are two knurled areas, and the area between them does have some lettering...the second line does end with WAR? Three lines stamped . I am more used to either a round end, or the four sided ones. First I have seen with a six-sided top. There is a "step" between the barrel handle part, and the cone shaped business end. Looks like about a 1/16" point. Ok, markings as follows: Baltimore USA 62 Then is a warning to wear safety googles. I needed someone with better eyes than me, to read the print.

Am trying to bring out the lettering, first go with a black sharpie.....will need another try or two.

Slowly getting things cleaned and polished up. Some MAY be going to FeeBay later.

steven c newman
05-21-2015, 9:49 PM
Let's see IF I find find a picture or two...
The three for a dollar pliers. The "Linesman" pair has blue handles, is is marked as a *Worth* brand. The Nail set is a Baltimore "brand"

RE: those Wright Tappett Wrenches...Had two of the same size. Decided to use the "extra" one to make a cutter for a Stanley No.39 3/8" Dado plane that came in the mail ( birthday present) Plane needed a cutter, and a nicker, and bolts to hold the nickers. Spent most of today getting those parts made up. All except the nicker, ordered it from nhplaneparts.com. It will be here next week. Maybe a look at what got done today?
Cutter turned out to be tapered in several directions at once
and took a lOT of slow grinding. Test fitting all the time. Tub of water beside the grinder, too. The beltsander to smooth the grinder marks, a bit at least. Cleaned and sharpened the nicker that was on the plane. New bolts because I wasn't about to pay $10 a pair. Used 6-32 bolts, and did a bit of grinding to smooth things out. Test drive? well, still need the second nicker, but was able to make a shaving or two.

BTW: nhplaneparts didn't have the cutter for this plane, hence the grinding job. Bolts were too much $$, and not enough of them. Nicker? I think I was ahead to just buy one. Not quite up to something that small...