PDA

View Full Version : Brief review: Incra Miter Express crosscut sled

Frederick Skelly
05-16-2015, 8:30 PM
So I finally got around to setting it up and trying it out today. Not bad - only been in my shop a couple months. :(

I found the instructions to be clear and concise. Every part was present. I assembled mine to work to the left of the blade.

The hardware was excellent fit/finish. Every hole into which a screw needed to go was nicely countersunk. The red colored melamine was smoothly applied and fit the aluminum parts perfectly. The bars that fit into the miter slots were all straight and adjusted snugly, as required.

My Incra 1000HD miter gauge fit perfectly of course. But this really is setup to use just about any miter gauge. The bar fits a 3/4" miter slot built into the sled, and it's held very tightly in place with "cam screws". This is clever and adds additional flexibility beyond just your choice of miter gauge. It also lets you set the miter gauge anywhere along the sled to find the most appropriate place for holding your work. The sled comes with a couple nice accessories, including a brace for your miter gauge's extension arm/fence and a REALLY NICE Incra hold down clamp.

I made several test cuts and each one was clean and square. Between the stop on my miter gauge and that hold down clamp, this thing cut a perfectly square edge on a 17" wide table top with no sweat. And I didn't have to take off my Shark Gaurd to make the cuts - an especially nice thing. I didnt try it today, but it looked like I really CAN get a good square edge on a panel that's up to 24" wide. I was also impressed with the weight - this sled is light and easy to handle - in contrast to my shop made sled which is a heavy beast (and doesnt let me use my Shark Gaurd).

So far, I really like this tool. It was worth the $139 I paid for it (on sale). This is only the second Incra tool I've bought. Clearly, I'm getting my money's worth on a quality tool, with these guys.

Fred

Bill White
05-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the review. I have been impressed with the Incra line. I have the 1000SE, and really enjoy the accuracy. Now, gotta go check out the sled. SHAME ON YOU. Maybe I could borrow yours for a while????
Bill