PDA

View Full Version : Things that we wished had been invented:

Brian Kent
05-16-2015, 6:42 PM
Bottom of the vessel "Nub Remover".

"Anti-Vibration Chamber", or alternatively an "Anti-Vibration Ray Gun" for hollow forms, chalices and other things that can be destroyed by vibration.

"Eternal Sand Paper".

…because if I could buy another tool, I wouldn't need technique and practice.

Your additions to the list?

Geoff Whaling
05-16-2015, 6:47 PM
Bottom of the vessel "Nub Remover".

I would pay good money for a high quality "nub remover." ;-)

How about a "stupid moment detector" , a "one last cut preventer" or a "that looks perfect as it is confirmation device."

Brian Kent
05-16-2015, 7:05 PM
"How about a "stupid moment detector" , a "one last cut preventer" or a "that looks perfect as it is confirmation device.""

Excellent For that matter how about a "Stupid Moment Eraser"?

Roger Chandler
05-16-2015, 7:42 PM
How about a "burl wood accelerator," "crack proof wood, " and especially a "catch proof gouge!"

Curt Stivison
05-16-2015, 7:47 PM
bottled water! Who would ever buy a bottle of water.
Curt

Thom Sturgill
05-16-2015, 7:50 PM
Woodworkers have long wanted 'board stretchers' maybe we could use 'blank enlargers'. I could also use evaporating curlies.

Reed Gray
05-16-2015, 7:54 PM
A system of some sort that would automatically remove every tiny nib of dust.... And a Transporter like on Star Trek....

robo hippy

John K Jordan
05-16-2015, 8:27 PM
- I want sharpener in a spray can. 40 years ago at the Lab we joked "hey, you need to spray some sharp on that blade." Still waiting. In the mean time, I want

- Diamond-edged tools that never, ever get dull.

- Wood that can be shaped like clay on a potter's wheel.

- Instant spalting chamber.

- Time reversing switch. To take back that last cut. Also useful for other stuff.

BTW, years ago I did invent a catch-proof skew chisel. They scoffed when I posted about it on WoodCentral, thought I was joking. I still have it and it does work. The limitation is it won't work for planing cuts (cylinders, tapers), only for things like facing cuts (across end grain), deep v-grooves, and beads.

JKJ

Scott Brandstetter
05-16-2015, 8:32 PM
Okay, I will play along, good thread for a Saturday Night. I agree with Reed, total dust remover, for sure. I would also like to add, instead of eternal Sand Paper Brian, how about "spray paper" in a can.....or in a gun......or......just no more sanding.

Brian Brown
05-16-2015, 8:43 PM
How about a blank Un-cracker. I'll add a second to Thom's curlies evaporated. I want one now!

Ben Darrah
05-16-2015, 9:13 PM
How about "Time to turn" in a can.

Tom Wilson66
05-16-2015, 9:20 PM
An "undo' button for stupid moves.

robert baccus
05-16-2015, 10:02 PM
How about an automatic stitch remover for slow hands.

Terry Vaughan
05-17-2015, 3:56 AM
Something like an electric pencil sharpener that you could poke gouges into

Terry

Tony Cognato
05-17-2015, 4:13 AM
How about a wife that says " That's fine Honey, spend as much as you want on tools!"

Alan Arnup
05-17-2015, 5:48 AM
Would someone invent a tree that grows pre-shaped bowls please !

Reed Gray
05-17-2015, 12:25 PM
John, I do remember, maybe 20 years ago they were making some diamond plated router bits and saw blades. They did last a lot longer, but the idea never panned out. No idea why, but would guess that they would not cut as clean as carbide.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
05-17-2015, 2:29 PM
John, I do remember, maybe 20 years ago they were making some diamond plated router bits and saw blades. They did last a lot longer, but the idea never panned out. No idea why, but would guess that they would not cut as clean as carbide.

robo hippy

Diamond is hard, but it is not tough. It will shatter. I would believe that chipping would quickly destroy the edge. Carbide is much tougher.

Dave Bunge
05-17-2015, 2:35 PM
A button I could press, kind of like the Staples "That was Easy" button, that says, "No thank you. I have enough wood already". I seem to be incapable of saying the words myself.

Or a 3rd garage stall so I wouldn't have to park outside.

Jim Mackell
05-17-2015, 4:06 PM
An airtight varnish dispenser. So you can actually use the entire container without losing half to the skim coat that always forms.

Russell Neyman
05-17-2015, 5:52 PM
No joke on this one, which I'm pretty sure can be done: an automatic vibration dampener, which would work like a car's harmonic balancer. The idea is that it would make turning irregular blanks easier.

Russell Neyman
05-17-2015, 5:55 PM
A scraper catch warning sensor. It would work like those backup beepers on your car, sounding louder and more often the closer you get to catastrophe.

Stan Smith
05-17-2015, 5:57 PM
I would like a "Put-Back" Tool. I've needed one way too many times. I cut the board twice and it's still too short. :)

John K Jordan
05-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Ok, then, indestructible diamond-hard tool edges that never need sharpening. I know two researchers who suspect a ceramic can be developed to get close to this.

I also want a finish that coats perfectly, hides defects, cures instantly to my choice of gloss, seals against all moisture and gasses, is impervious to all known solvents, prevents wood from ever darkening or changing color, and never sets up in the bottle. And is so cheap it is almost free.

JKJ

Stan Smith
05-18-2015, 4:56 PM
Ok, then, indestructible diamond-hard tool edges that never need sharpening. I know two researchers who suspect a ceramic can be developed to get close to this.

I also want a finish that coats perfectly, hides defects, cures instantly to my choice of gloss, seals against all moisture and gasses, is impervious to all known solvents, prevents wood from ever darkening or changing color, and never sets up in the bottle. And is so cheap it is almost free.

JKJ

Ditto to all you said.

Matt Schrum
05-18-2015, 5:31 PM
No joke on this one, which I'm pretty sure can be done: an automatic vibration dampener, which would work like a car's harmonic balancer. The idea is that it would make turning irregular blanks easier.

I can't say I'm totally convinced, but the author of this pdf article sings praises of a contraption he installed on his lathe...
http://www.morewoodturningmagazine.com/articles/Glaser%20Tunable%20Blanacer.pdf

Doug Ladendorf
05-18-2015, 6:32 PM
Safe-T-Freeze - as soon as an unsafe moment begins everything freezes. Has a reverse button.

Robust Mini-Maxi - a small high quality mini-lathe with mini-price that can expand to a full sized American Beauty. Comes with overhead crane for lifting heavy blanks.

Harry Potter Garage - just like the magical tents in Harry Potter that have seemingly unlimited space, the Garage would become enormous inside to accommodate whatever is required.

Russell Neyman
05-18-2015, 7:26 PM
An electric skew?

Steve Doerr
05-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Tony said "How about a wife that says " That's fine Honey, spend as much as you want on tools!""

My wife is pretty close to that. However, she did say, "Just remember, I will inherit all of them." :-D

Terry Quiram
05-31-2015, 10:05 PM
Automatic broom and dust pan.

Brian Kent
06-01-2015, 8:03 PM
Service interval lights for each machine, so we know in advance when they will need to be repaired or replaced.