PDA

View Full Version : Accessories for OF1400 and Domino 500

mark mcfarlane
05-16-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a new Festool Router and Domino.

Which accessories did you buy, and use regularly? Which ones are collecting dust?

I'm thinking about the rail guide and edge guide for the 1400, and the Systainer full of dominoes and bits for the Domino 500.

I'm still struggling between the 1010 and 1400,... but historically I have used my PC router for a lot of dados so it seems the 1400 is the way to go.

Jamie Buxton
05-16-2015, 11:47 AM
For me, an edge guide for the router is a must-have.
Also a set of template guides. Not the Festool ones, which are so big, but rather the standard "Porter Cable" ones.
I have a Festool rail for the track saw (which is also indispensable). For one specific piece of furniture I bought the parts to hook the router to the rail. It did the job, but I haven't used it since.

mark mcfarlane
05-16-2015, 2:37 PM
Thanks Jamie. I have the tracks already (MFT and TS 55) so that guide seems like a likely addition.

Also, are there any Creekers selling Festool, or Mom and Pop stores that keep inventory and ship quickly, preferably someone who wont charge sales tax to ship to Texas. I prefer to support family businesses when possible. I'm traveling to the States in 2 days and have a small table project planned for my vacation.

Peter Froh
05-16-2015, 10:16 PM
http://www.senecawoodworking.com has some great after market accessories for the domino. Well made and highly recommended.

Victor Robinson
05-17-2015, 4:33 AM
Thanks Jamie. I have the tracks already (MFT and TS 55) so that guide seems like a likely addition.

Also, are there any Creekers selling Festool, or Mom and Pop stores that keep inventory and ship quickly, preferably someone who wont charge sales tax to ship to Texas. I prefer to support family businesses when possible. I'm traveling to the States in 2 days and have a small table project planned for my vacation.

Bob Marino (Bob Marino's Best Tools) and Tool Home are two "small guy" Festool dealers. Both ship very quickly and provide excellent service. Tool Home I believe is in TX though, so maybe not a good option sales tax-wise for you.

Mike Cutler
05-17-2015, 7:45 AM
Mark

The OF 1400 ships with the edge guide and the necessary collets. About the only accessories I would say to purchase with it at time of sale is the Table Widener, and guide rail attachment for it. Table Widener first.
The Table Widener is a bit excessive in price in my opinion, and you can make a better offset base, but you need the quick release mechanism from an additional baseplate to do it, and then it's just a sheet of high impact resin, or bakelite.
I have the OF 1400 and OF 2200, both are really nice. I think the OF 1400 is probably the better of the Festool values, because it ships with the extra collets and edge guide. Out of the box and go to work. I looked at the OF 1010 but it didn't seem to fit the types of projects I do. It's still a fine router though.
I also have the TS-75.

mark mcfarlane
05-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mike.

Amazon's website doesn't mention the edge guide or collets as being included... http://www.amazon.com/Festool-574342-1400-EQ-Router/dp/B004Q9D1YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431873723&sr=8-1&keywords=of+1400

Product DescriptionFESTOOL Plunge Router Model OF 1400 EQ The OF 1400 is the benchmark in the medium-power router class. It gives you more power in a lighter package, easier operation, smoother running, deeper stroke, and the ultimate in dust extraction. With thoroughbred performance and a host of unique features, it takes routing to a new level. HIGH POWER, LOW WEIGHT: Get more done with less effort. Includes: Dust Extraction Hood, Chip Catcher, Collet Wrench, 1/2" collet 1/4" Collet and 8 mm Collet, Guide Bushing Adaptor, Plug-It Detachable Power Cord, T-LOC 4 Systainer

Neither does Woodcraft

Includes: Dust Extraction Hood, Chip Catcher, Collet Wrench, 1/2" collet 1/4" Collet and 8 mm Collet, Guide Bushing Adaptor, Plug-It Detachable Power Cord, T-LOC 4 Systainer - See more at: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/574342/festool-plunge-router-of-1400-eq-tloc.aspx#sthash.vmjz0x7C.dpuf

Perhaps you bought a kit that has been discontinued?

Victor Robinson
05-17-2015, 1:07 PM
Thanks Mike.

Amazon's website doesn't mention the edge guide or collets as being included... http://www.amazon.com/Festool-574342-1400-EQ-Router/dp/B004Q9D1YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431873723&sr=8-1&keywords=of+1400

Product Description

FESTOOL Plunge Router Model OF 1400 EQ The OF 1400 is the benchmark in the medium-power router class. It gives you more power in a lighter package, easier operation, smoother running, deeper stroke, and the ultimate in dust extraction. With thoroughbred performance and a host of unique features, it takes routing to a new level. HIGH POWER, LOW WEIGHT: Get more done with less effort. Includes: Dust Extraction Hood, Chip Catcher, Collet Wrench, 1/2" collet 1/4" Collet and 8 mm Collet, Guide Bushing Adaptor, Plug-It Detachable Power Cord, T-LOC 4 Systainer

Neither does Woodcraft

Includes: Dust Extraction Hood, Chip Catcher, Collet Wrench, 1/2" collet 1/4" Collet and 8 mm Collet, Guide Bushing Adaptor, Plug-It Detachable Power Cord, T-LOC 4 Systainer - See more at: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/574342/festool-plunge-router-of-1400-eq-tloc.aspx#sthash.vmjz0x7C.dpuf

Perhaps you bought a kit that has been discontinued?

I bought my 1400 a few years ago and the edge guide wasn't included.

Mike Cutler
05-17-2015, 1:47 PM
Mark

Well that's a little weired.:confused:
I do apologize for the apparent misinformation. I do know that the OF 1400EQ I purchased had the edge guide in the Systainer. Maybe they messed up and it wasn't supposed to be in there. I know for certain that I did not purchase one.
I bought it about two years ago from Woodcraft. They ordered it in for me and I picked it up at the store. It actually sat for over a year in the basement, and I only recently took it out. (I actually need an edge guide for the Of 2200 more than I need one for the OF 1400.)
The only accessories I've purchased for my Festool routers are the Table widener and 1/4" collet for the OF 2200. Buying the collet kind of torqued me, because it was $40.00 and i think it should have been in the kit. I was also a little unimpressed with the Table Widener once I got it in my hand ( another blind ordered purchase). It could be improved on, and I will probably take it apart and make a different sub- base for it. The OF 2200 definitely needs a bigger base.

Once again, I apologize for the mis-information. I guess I was lucky, or I unknowingly bought a reconditioned tool as new.:eek:

mark mcfarlane
05-17-2015, 3:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. Sent my order to Bob Marino's... No taxes to ship to Texas. Amazon had free 2-day shipping (Prime member), but ~$200 in taxes. Taxes in, taxes out, we pay enough taxes already.