PDA

View Full Version : Festool Midi and 5 inch rotex sander, am I thinking correctly

Scott Brandstetter
05-16-2015, 11:22 AM
I am considering this setup mainly for a couple reasons. I have two parts to my shop, one is where the tools are and the other an "assembly and finish" room. I am hoping this setup allows me to get final sanding finished quicker and also get superior dust collection. I guess my question is, do I need the rotex - I am really doing mainly higher grit final sanding, and, is the midi large enough to pair with this sander. (I could see myself using the midi to vac dust in the assembly area before paint or stain) This is a lot of money for me but I don't want to go with something I will want to upgrade in the future.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Jamie Buxton
05-16-2015, 11:56 AM
I have a 6" Rotex and a 6" ROS from Festool. The ROS is my go-to sander -- I'm using it every day. The Rotex is pretty much a specialty tool. I use it only when I have to do really aggressive sanding. For finer sanding, I prefer the ROS because it is physically balanced; it stands up without assistance. The Rotex, in contrast, keeps trying to fall to the side.

Julie Moriarty
05-16-2015, 12:12 PM
The first Festool sander I bought was the Rotex RO 125. I bought it with the CT26. The Rotex is a beast. It's for aggressive sanding but when you learn how to control it, you can do some finer sanding but in my opinion, it's the wrong sander for finishing.

My next purchase was the ETS 125, their 5" ROS. This one is for very fine sanding on smaller areas.

Then I made the plunge and bought the ETS 150/3 and ETS 150/5. What a difference! I use these sanders most of the time, even on smaller pieces. They make the work go fast and handle everything from course to ultra-fine sanding.

I also have the Rotex RO 90. This has become my go-to sander for smaller projects. I sanded the finish off the cabinet frames in the kitchen and two bathrooms with this sander and it was a Godsend.

Of all the Festool sanders I have, I use the Rotex RO 125 the least. The ETS 125 would be the next least used sander.

BTW, I absolutely love the dust collection efficiency of these sanders when coupled with the CT26. My attitude toward sanding changed dramatically after going the Festool sander/DC route. I use the CT26 with a 4" belt sander and with both a mid-sized and laminate router too. They say with Festool, you cry once then enjoy it for life. ;)

eugene thomas
05-16-2015, 1:27 PM
Rotex 125 has made my belt sander obsolete but soon after bought realized not best finish sander now also have the ets 125.

David Ragan
05-16-2015, 1:51 PM
I have 5" and ct33; I'm an amateur-but seems to do a great job w sanding if u pay attention to proper technique.....great dust collection- I would never go back to other equipment

Alan Lightstone
05-16-2015, 3:10 PM
I almost never use my Rotex. It really is a beast. I use my ETS 150/3 constantly. Dust collection with the vac is great and it is balanced and easy to use. Haven't tried the Mirka Ceros 150/2.5, looks great (maybe even better than the Festool) in person, but it's a thought.

Bill McNiel
05-16-2015, 8:19 PM
I believe that all the Festool vacs have the same suction force with the difference being the bag capacity. The Midi is a solid choice.

The Rotex is not the best choice for the use criteria you have stated, it is kind of a replacement for a belt sander with additional capabilities. I have the ETS 125 EQ (5") as my primary finish sander. I also have the DTS 400 EQ, primarily for inside corners and RS 2 E ("1/2" sheet) for large table/desk tops. The 150/3 & 150/5 are really nice but I chose the 125 because it has the shortest stroke (5/64").

These are all solid sanders with excellent dust collection and everyone has their own reasons for chosing the toy they want. I'm pretty sure there isn't an absolute correct answer but IMHO you are on the right path.

Sam Murdoch
05-16-2015, 8:42 PM
I am considering this setup mainly for a couple reasons. I have two parts to my shop, one is where the tools are and the other an "assembly and finish" room. I am hoping this setup allows me to get final sanding finished quicker and also get superior dust collection. I guess my question is, do I need the rotex - I am really doing mainly higher grit final sanding, and, is the midi large enough to pair with this sander. (I could see myself using the midi to vac dust in the assembly area before paint or stain) This is a lot of money for me but I don't want to go with something I will want to upgrade in the future.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

The Midi is a good tool with either of these sanders. I routinely work in client's home with the combination and dust is not an issue. Like others, I think the ROs are a bit aggressive as finish sanders. They can certainly do it with progressive finer grits and a steady hand, but in my experience, there is a learning curve involved in using the ROs well as finishers. The ETS 150/3 is excellent as a finish sander so to your question above - highlighted in red - I recommend the ETS 150/3 and the Midi.

Scott Brandstetter
05-17-2015, 9:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the great information. Think I will go with the ETS 150/3 paired with the Midi. Hope I don't get completely sucked into the vortex

peter gagliardi
05-17-2015, 12:35 PM
For what it's worth, I have and use several of the Rotex 6" machines for ALL of my finish sanding after the belt sander. It is not a small machine, for sure, but is extremely capable of just as fine a finish as the ETS, with the added benefit of "aggressive" mode when needed. I run a full time pro shop, and have zero interest in a sander that doesn't "git 'er done" in a timely fashion. The ETS is great, but slow. Any vac in their lineup is more than capable paired to any sander they have.
The Rotex is one of my favorite Festool tools.
I doubt you will be unhappy with any of their sanders paired with the vac.

Rod Sheridan
05-17-2015, 3:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the great information. Think I will go with the ETS 150/3 paired with the Midi. Hope I don't get completely sucked into the vortex

Good choice Scott, you won't regret it.

I miss my Midi, they were recalled in Canada and I had to exchange it for the CT26, heavier and larger, a negative improvement...........Regards, Rod.