PDA

View Full Version : Size of download files

Moses Yoder
05-16-2015, 7:40 AM
Where I am living at now we have a company called Haywire that does internet. I set up wifi for the house for $20 per month for a 512 megabyte speed. This is plenty fast enough for most of the time. This morning I began downloading software for the HP 4632 printer and reached 40 MB before I gave up. I am at McDonalds now downloading about 4 times as fast and it is at 128 MB. If I had known how large the file was before starting I would not have attempted dowloading on the 512 connection. Is there a way to tell how large the file is before downloading? I am on Google Chrome with Windows 8.1. THe disc that came with the printer is either not working or there is something wrong with the drive but I just watched a movie a couple weeks ago and the drive worked fine.

Bryan Rocker
05-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Moses, for $20 a month I am betting that you only have 512KB service, having said that the file sometimes tells you either the size or the progress on it. I personally have Road Runner 100 MB down and it is extremely fast. Sometimes if you right click the file and do a save as it will show you the size. Not all sites are nice about that.

If you want to check out your connection go to www.dslreports.com I have used them a ton in the pst.......

Bryan

glenn bradley
05-16-2015, 10:51 AM
I also suspect a meg and kilo mixup. At the university we run small outbuildings with a hundred users in them on 100meg uplinks. The intermittent reality of data traffic makes 100meg to the desktop more than suitable for all but the more specialized users in main buildings. 1gigabit to the desktop is not uncommon but, not ubiquitous. The big "meg" numbers are a great marketing tool but, if you're paying for much over 10meg for home use the perceived improvement is often perception only.

Don't get me wrong; I do have 100gig connections to the California backbone and multiple 40gig links to researchers on campus but, that is for big data transfers and fiddling with things like real-time seismic simulations and so forth. No video game or movie stream gets any where in the neighborhood of those demands. 512K however, would be noticeably slow in today's "feature rich" internet world.

Tom Stenzel
05-16-2015, 11:29 AM
I have the cheapest U-verse service. It's supposed to provide a whomping 1.5 megabits/sec. Not only does it look like a kilo-mega mixup but a byte-bit problem as well!

Like Byron said some sites aren't so nice about telling you how big the file is. Chrome won't run on my computer or tablet so I can't check but on a browser there's generally a way to monitor download progress (Control-Shift-y on Firefox). There should be an equivalent on Chrome.

-Tom

Rich Engelhardt
05-17-2015, 8:40 AM
Software and driver results for:http://h10003.www1.hp.com/digmedialib/prodimg/lowres/c03788398.png
HP Officejet 4632 e-All-in-One PrinterNot your product? (http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers)

Your operating system: Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows 8.1
Edit (http://support.hp.com/wps/portal/pps/Home/SWDSelfServiceStep/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJ9DTwNjLzcDbwtwrxMDR wdHf2M3TyDDA2MDIAKIoEKnN0dPUzMfQwM3ANNnAw8zX39vV2D LIwNPM2I02-AAzgaENIfrh8FVoLPBWAFeKwoyA2NMMh0VAQA9DiYow!!/#os-selector)

Expand all (http://support.hp.com/wps/portal/pps/Home/SWDSelfServiceStep/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJ9DTwNjLzcDbwtwrxMDR wdHf2M3TyDDA2MDIAKIoEKnN0dPUzMfQwM3ANNnAw8zX39vV2D LIwNPM2I02-AAzgaENIfrh8FVoLPBWAFeKwoyA2NMMh0VAQA9DiYow!!/#)Collapse all (http://support.hp.com/wps/portal/pps/Home/SWDSelfServiceStep/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJ9DTwNjLzcDbwtwrxMDR wdHf2M3TyDDA2MDIAKIoEKnN0dPUzMfQwM3ANNnAw8zX39vV2D LIwNPM2I02-AAzgaENIfrh8FVoLPBWAFeKwoyA2NMMh0VAQA9DiYow!!/#)

Version
File size
Updated

Driver-Product Installation Software (3) (http://support.hp.com/wps/portal/pps/Home/SWDSelfServiceStep/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJ9DTwNjLzcDbwtwrxMDR wdHf2M3TyDDA2MDIAKIoEKnN0dPUzMfQwM3ANNnAw8zX39vV2D LIwNPM2I02-AAzgaENIfrh8FVoLPBWAFeKwoyA2NMMh0VAQA9DiYow!!/#panel-1)

ImportantHP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

162.6 MB
Aug 12, 2014
Download (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL49503/mp-120038-6/OJ4630_198.exe)
HP's Terms of Use (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00581401)

Looks pretty clear to me that the file size is 162 MB. (Mega Byte).

In the bits and Bytes world, a bit is one digital binary bit. A Byte is 8 bits.
Upper case "B" denotes Byte, lower case "b" denotes bit.
512 MB = 512 Mega Bytes. 512 Mb = 512 Mega bits.

Bert Kemp
05-17-2015, 10:44 AM
I didn't know they even offered that slow of a connection speed, is that Dial up? I have a really slow DSL at about 3.2mbs and it would take that long to download 162mb file

Chuck Wintle
05-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Where I am living at now we have a company called Haywire that does internet. I set up wifi for the house for $20 per month for a 512 megabyte speed. This is plenty fast enough for most of the time. This morning I began downloading software for the HP 4632 printer and reached 40 MB before I gave up. I am at McDonalds now downloading about 4 times as fast and it is at 128 MB. If I had known how large the file was before starting I would not have attempted dowloading on the 512 connection. Is there a way to tell how large the file is before downloading? I am on Google Chrome with Windows 8.1. THe disc that came with the printer is either not working or there is something wrong with the drive but I just watched a movie a couple weeks ago and the drive worked fine.
most of the time for large files i start the download and then forget about it. If its an ISO file then just burn that to a cd but for an .exe file its just a click to start it.

Scott Shepherd
05-17-2015, 1:26 PM
Just because you have 100 GB download speeds doesn't mean you can actually download things at 100GB. Whoever is hosting the file can throttle it back. Big companies like printer companies, hardware manufacturers, etc, that have drivers or various things to download (think music from iTunes), rarely, if ever, let the download come through at full speed. In many cases, your speed has nothing to do with how fast it's downloading.

Myk Rian
05-17-2015, 4:32 PM
512kb/s is almost like a modem on dial-up.

Bryan Rocker
05-17-2015, 6:44 PM
The fastest dialup I ever had before going broadband was 56K baud modem. 512kb/s is a choked dsl or for you old timers a very fast ISDN....162mb file would take me a minute or so....I can dl a gig in 20 and some of these game patches now days are huge....the latest big patch was 6gig.....I couldn't fathom that on even the fastest dialup/isdn connection......

Pat Barry
05-17-2015, 7:41 PM
Google 'speedtest' and try out the ookla network tester. It will tell you both upload and download speeds and it takes about a minute.

Barry McFadden
05-17-2015, 9:24 PM
I agree with Rich. The whole problem is mega bite and megabytes. Internet companies will advertise 6M download speed but that is 6 megabits. Everyone talks megabytes in file size so your 6 megabit download speed will be about 750k when you are downloading. I recently switched from a 6M internet provider to a 60M provider and now get actual download speeds of about 7.5M. So when people think they have 60M download speeds they have to remember to divide that by 8 to get the actual download speed.

Brian Elfert
05-17-2015, 9:54 PM
I had 1.5 megabit DSL for years and it finally got too slow for me about four years ago. I was able to add Internet to my cable TV package for only $7 a month and it is much faster. I really don't know what I pay for Internet versus cable TV these days as it is a package. I could live with 512 kilobit if it was all I could get, or all I could afford. There is no way I could live with dial-up for long.

I typically just divide by 10 when converting bits to bytes. It is a whole lot easier that way.

Moses Yoder
05-18-2015, 8:23 PM
New Paris, IN is a neat little town. THe internet company renovated an old barn very tastefully. June 6 is their neighborhood garage sale weekend and I am going to do some photos of the town and post them. The buy who waited on us when we went in to ask about getting wifi was downright rude. I was put off, to say the least. He is the one who said it was 512 megabite download speed. Thinking it through, that is not possible. It is a 512 kilobite speed according to Speedtest, registers about .62. I have notice since that some files will show the file size while downloading and some do not. I think what I will do for large files, such as the video of "The Anarchists Toolchest" is to get our IT guy to download them onto a flash drive for me. I think that is a workable solution. I absolutely do not need faster speeds except for downloading large files, so spending the 10 or 20 a month to upgrade would be a waste of money.

Curt Harms
05-19-2015, 8:19 AM
Do what we did in dial-up days? Start the download at the end of the day, check the next morning to see how you did?

Dan Hintz
05-19-2015, 8:28 AM
I watched my PS3 Destiny update of 2.8GB download in about 18 minutes... and then had to wait 24 hours while their servers tanked and wouldn't let anyone log on :-/ Sometimes fast transfer speeds are wasted :p

Steve Peterson
05-19-2015, 12:18 PM
I used to have a wireless internet carrier with peak speeds of 3mb downloads, but often around 10% of this at peak times. We tolerated it because it had no data limits. 4G service through the cell phone companies had really small data allowances and $10 per GB for overages. That size file might take about 7-8 minutes to download at 3AM or over an hour on a Friday afternoon.

Steve