PDA

View Full Version : Tool Organiser

Keith Colson
05-16-2015, 3:30 AM
The tools I use on a daily basis end up littering my work bench or getting lost under something, and its too much work using a toolbox so I put a little effort in today and made an organiser. I skipped 3D cad and just drew it on Corel draw which I think was a lot faster for a simple item like this. There are no screws or glue, its all very tight fitting Here is a picture, I am really pleased with it. I think I am going to save a lot of time not looking for tools.

313674 313675

Cheers
Keith

Saul Koll
05-16-2015, 4:25 AM
Great idea, nicely done!

Mike Null
05-16-2015, 6:13 AM
You are entirely too organized for me but nice design and execution.

Scott Marquez
05-16-2015, 9:53 AM
Very nice, I'm a firm believer in the practice of "everything has its place", it frustrates me to have search around for one of the tools of my trade.
I would like to hear more about the Specs, what wood and thickness along with the joint type that you used.
Thanks, Scott

Keith Winter
05-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Really nice and clean work. Being able to cut something out like that straight from Corel is a real skill. :) Last jig I made I had to recut some parts to get it to fit together right. Any tips on executing on a projects like this and getting things to line up? What kind of wood did you use?

Bert Kemp
05-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Would you like to share the file so some of us other slobs can pick up a little:D

Ron Gosnell
05-16-2015, 1:03 PM
That is awesome --- 5 Stars

Gozzie

Keith Colson
05-17-2015, 2:53 AM
I have attached 313716 saved in an old format for you guys with the old Corel draws. It was constructed with 9mm mdf.

Here is the process I used to make it.

I laid out the tools and measured the vertical spaced and width needed. With just these few dimensions I laid out the large back panel with a handle. While that was cutting I measured all the tools on the top shelf and laid it out. This had some dimensional errors and I had to cut it twice as for about half the model. Cutting twice is not an issue with cheap mdf and 5 minutes a part.

Each page in the artwork is placed so it lines up in some way with another page except for a few bits. Please do not rate my artwork as I have not polished it as I would if sending it to a client. You should easily be able to trim this to fit your tool set.

I guess the tips would be.

Make sure you have a good fit for your 9mm mdf before you start cutting all your bits.
Cut one part while drawing the next part
Get big parts right the first time. Small parts can be re cut in a jiffy.
Use multiple pages with master page guides so you can line everything up between the shelf tiers.
Visualise the model in your head so you only have to cut 1 to 2 times per part.
When cutting 9mm mdf I focus for 8mm.

Cheers
Keith

Mike Null
05-17-2015, 7:52 AM
Keith

Thanks for posting your plan.

Bert Kemp
05-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks Keith

Gerd Spatz
05-18-2015, 3:34 AM
three kinds of toolboxes i made...

#3 free download: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:93753/#files

john passek
05-18-2015, 5:55 PM
Thanks Keith
That would make a great bench top organizer.

Bill Carruthers
05-18-2015, 7:01 PM
To anyone who wants to make boxes,puzzles and a few other bits & pieces, Gerd Spatz has a website based creation program that is very helpful.313817
It's called "Boxdesigner" and he charges a small annual fee for access. I've used it to create some stuff (lousy pic- no focus cheap camera) and he is most helpful when needed.
Admin - don't know whether a link for something like this is allowed so please remove if not appropriate.
http://boxdesigner.frag-den-spatz.de/

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-19-2015, 5:34 PM
Great little project Keith! It's quite similar to one I've been planning on making to hold my pen/paint set. I like your idea of the handle on top. That would come in handy for when I need to use it outside the work area.

I actually find it quite fun & easy to design items like this in only Corel. For the more tricky parts, I sometimes use a grid with spacing set to my requirements and turn on Snap to Grid.

Darren Wilson
07-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Hi Keith,

That is awesome! I Love it.

I do something similar, but out of foam for toolboxes and cases...

Cheers
Darren

Matt Geraci
07-23-2015, 1:01 AM
Well done!

Michael Kowalczyk
07-23-2015, 4:13 PM
Nice Darren. everything in it's place and a place for everything.:)

Roy Sanders
07-24-2015, 6:49 AM
Hi Keith

Something you said, really piqued my curiosity; it is the last sentence. "when cutting 9 mm . . . focus for 8mm. I am very new. how do you do that? I keep reading 'focus' for this material or that; what exactly do you mean?

Thank you. I think my Grandson and I will make your tool box as soon as we finish a clock build.

Roy

Keith Colson
07-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Setting the focus puts more power into the cut due to the laser focal point being an hour glass shape. Typically I focus the cut 20% below the surface by simply raising the table the required amount. The parts are easier to remove from the sheet when you do this too. My machine is set so it auto focus's e.g. if I dial in 9mm mdf into my setting the machine will automatically set the sable height to 8mm when I press start.

Roy Sanders
07-27-2015, 9:28 PM
Hi Keith

A bit delayed in responding; thank you. That sounds easy. I am finally learning and retaining. Your response helped me a bit more.

Roy

Bert Kemp
07-27-2015, 10:27 PM
One thing to take into consideration when focusing below the surface is your kerf will be slightly wider, this will not make a big difference unless you have really tight tolerances but for 99.9% of the things you do it will be hardly noticeable, and like Keith said part removal will be easier. Just FWIW