PDA

View Full Version : Some mock ups of my first laser build

Joe Walmer
05-15-2015, 7:12 PM
Here is the XY table version and a version that has a x gantry with flying optics consisting of only one mirror and lens above a table that moves in the y direction.

My idea is to use the C-Beam to cradle the laser tube and align it all at the same time. the laser will then fire down the length into a 45 degree mirror and down into the focus lens. I will get a lens that can focus up and down 2 inches so I wont need a z table that moves. I will just have to drill out or machine a groove out of the bottom of the C-Beam where the laser head will stick out.

Tons of advantages just add another laser beam to the other side so they are aiming the lasers at each other and reverse another 45 degree mirror on a second gantry and its a slave laser head that I can space 6 inches or 12 inches etc. from the other to cut the same shape out twice. I could even put another laser on top of each one for a total of 4 and put 4 gantries in place. The middle two will just have taller mirrors by 50mm like a periscope and all 4 beams will be caught and I can cut 4 6 inch circles spacing each head out 6 inches form each other.

I will also hang "acrylic curtains" down on both sides of the laser gantry beam right to the cutting surface to block laser beams and to put a custom vacuum through it in one side out the other should work good. I can also have a vacuum trench just below the cutting path since it never moves built in one axis. Both improvements on the vacuum should enable me to use a smaller more efficient blower or just increase my larger ones efficiency.

The black plate is 216mm and I will put another aluminum plate on it then a vector cutting table. You can get these models and more to work with over at openbuilds.com. I couldn't figure out how to do certain things in the 3-d program so just imagine the mirror in the center of the little black gantry plate aiming it straight down. I will probably just mount an entire "laser head" right there and cut a 25mm hole in the middle below it. If you can imagine the second picture will have a 24x50 inch cutting area or larger if need be the flying optic part or gantry will move 24 inches or more and the table or y axis below will move as far as I make that beam long all very simple, made from two rails basically.

Scott Shepherd
05-15-2015, 7:39 PM
Really neat project Joe. Can't wait to see it running!

Keith Winter
05-15-2015, 8:06 PM
Really cool, can't wait to see your progress!