PDA

View Full Version : Dentist-

Kev Williams
05-15-2015, 5:06 PM
There's a long story and a short version, which I'll go with ;)

One of my teeth -upper left in back- has been flaring up once a year for like 20 years. About the time I get tired of it and go to call a dentist, it quits hurting.

About a month ago it started up again, only now, even tho the ache quit, I couldn't touch it. Even swishing mouthwash was a YOW!! deal..

Then about 5 days ago, an old busted tooth- lower left in back- started aching, which it's never done. Ache comes and goes, and as of yesterday is was coming way more than it was going...

One reason I don't go to doctors or dentists is my work schedule. 18 hours a day typically. What little free time I have I like to spend recreating...

Anyway, today I ask the wife to see if I she can get me in to her dentist, hopefully before the weekend starts. She hollered to me "can you be there in 8 minutes?" It's only a mile away, YUP!

I walk in, receptionist asked if I'm on ANY meds that would clash with anesthetics. Nope. Ok, sign here.
Dentist says "lets do this!" and I lay in the chair. I show him which 2 teeth, he prods them JUST enough to insure he's got the right ones.
"your SURE you want them gone?" Yup.

Within 2 minutes all the needle work is done. He has me fill out the med sheet, and is back just as I'm signing it.

10 minutes later, both teeth are gone, he gives me a script for pain, and hands me a pack of a dozen antibiotics. $139 each to pull plus pills and tax, $319. Run my card and I'm back to work.

The whole thing took about 40 minutes and no pain whatsoever. Yet anyway, mouth is still numb!

It's tough for me to leave in the middle of work days, so I'm really impressed that I'd got taken care of so quickly. Price was pretty fair too. :)

(ain't you glad this is the SHORT version?) :D

Mike Cutler
05-15-2015, 5:39 PM
Let us know how you feel tomorrow. It's going to be a little stiff and sore. ;)

ken masoumi
05-15-2015, 6:02 PM
It wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.sometimes to find a dentist who is gentle, is hard, my last dentist used to dig his elbow in my chest as he was working on my teeth.

Judson Green
05-15-2015, 6:16 PM
My last dentist said he didn't believe in novacaine.

Eduard Nemirovsky
05-15-2015, 6:40 PM
My last dentist said he didn't believe in novacaine. - did you pull his tooth?
Ed.

Joe Bradshaw
05-15-2015, 8:58 PM
The last time that I had a root canal, I told the dentist that I really, really hated pain. He said, no sweat, that he didn't like pain either. He shot me so full of pain killer, that I went to sleep in the chair. The best dental procedure that I have ever had. He made a notation on my chart that patient falls asleep.

Roy Harding
05-15-2015, 10:28 PM
I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was in the Army. The dentist's name was Major Payne.

Now THERE's truth in advertising.

James Baker SD
05-16-2015, 1:59 AM
I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was in the Army. The dentist's name was Major Payne.

Now THERE's truth in advertising.

I wonder if he was the same dentist who pulled my mom's teeth and made partials for her? Same rank, same name. Guess not, he was Air Force.

John Coloccia
05-16-2015, 2:20 AM
My last dentist said he didn't believe in novacaine.

I could have made him a believer.

Robert Payne
05-16-2015, 7:30 AM
I am a doctor too and probably should have trained to be a proctologist, but instead, I spent my career in environmental protection (I have a Ph.D. in marine geology). My kids called me Dr. Dirt! I dislike dentistry like most of you for the very same reasons.

Jim Matthews
05-16-2015, 9:07 AM
The only extraction I ever had was completely painless.

The worst part was the prior week, getting the inflammation down
until the wisdom tooth could be reached without an incision.

The extraction itself took less than six seconds.

Rich Enders
05-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Kev,

Investigate the anti-biotics carefully. Dentists like to prescribe AB routines so powerful that they kill the good bacteria in the digestive system. If that happens you will not be happy.

Bob Turkovich
05-16-2015, 2:50 PM
Kev,

Investigate the anti-biotics carefully. Dentists like to prescribe AB routines so powerful that they kill the good bacteria in the digestive system. If that happens you will not be happy.

Been there. I avoided that by taking acidolpholus (sp?) which is available in most stores in the vitamin/food supplement section to replenish the good bacteria. It's also found - to a lesser degree - in most yogurts.

I had been down this route due to AB's for numerous sinus infections and it helped get me through without the unpleasant symptoms. When I had a root canal, I was amazed at the strength of the AB the dentist prescribed but the acidolpholus got me through it.

Tom M King
05-16-2015, 3:25 PM
I am a doctor too and probably should have trained to be a proctologist, but instead, I spent my career in environmental protection (I have a Ph.D. in marine geology). My kids called me Dr. Dirt! I dislike dentistry like most of you for the very same reasons.
My best friend is an AstroPhysicist with, of course, a Ph.D. His Aunt says, "He's a doctor, but not the kind that can do anybody any good".

Mel Fulks
05-16-2015, 3:42 PM
Confused. Aren't these all the same thing ....asstrophisist ,proctologist, EPA agent ....or are two the cure and one the problem?

Kev Williams
05-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Just to update--

After the Novocaine wore off, it felt a little like someone had punched me in the face, but that was expected.

Changed the gauze pads a couple of times, no problems.

Antibotics, he has a cubby filled with little packs of a dozen amoxycillin he gives out so he doesn't have to write a scrip, I don't think they're all that strong...

Woke up this morning, feels a little puffy where the teeth were, but that's it. Mouth was a little hard to open.

It's now going on 8pm, and man, I wish I'd done this sooner! The upper crowned tooth, which now the last upper-left tooth, used to pinch the gums
next to the lower tooth that was pulled. That tooth used to be the support of a cantilever bridge, which broke away over 20 years ago.
The tooth above used to contact the lower tooth nicely till that happened, and the upper has been pinching below ever since. Especially while sleeping...

But NOW-- nothing to pinch, nothing to BE pinched! And the shooting pain of just touching either of those teeth for the past month, GONE!
And I can fill my mouth with ice cold diet pepsi or hot coffee, and NOTHING HAPPENS!!

And all it took was 40 minutes and $320 bucks... Better late than never I guess! I'm happy!

http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/dancing.gif