PDA

View Full Version : Next Japanese Plane?

Andrew Gold
05-15-2015, 1:04 PM
Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying another japanese plane and was wondering if anyone had some wisdom to share my direction.

I have a small handful of planes, but of the various bench planes I like my single japanese plane the best. I find I can make the most consistent shavings as compared to the wester style planes (which I don't understand...) and like the pull action somewhat better than push. I think the push vs pull might be related to not having the most stable bench, but that's for another conversation.

My current japanese plane is this one from japan woodworker, rather entry level I think all in all. There is little I don't like about it, but I'm curious what a higher angle and higher quality plane might be like to use.
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/155722/42mm-40-Degree-Polish-Plane---Hiroetsu.aspx

This is really just liking buying and trying new things...

Anyways, I'm leaning towards one of the Tsunesaburo planes from Stu at tools from japan, but there are so many options... Can anyone help narrow the field? I'm also going to ask Stu for his take, but figured it was worth asking on here too. I'm open to other sources, this was just where I thought to look first.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

David Wong
05-15-2015, 4:02 PM
Tsunesaburo planes are a fine choice. Recently on eBay, there have also been a number of good new planes offered by a seller in japan.

I feel you are starting off correctly, by starting with a smaller and less expensive planes and work your way up. I would next consider a 55mm or 60mm plane. 55mm is considered a small plane (小鉋) and you may not find as many choices and options. 60mm is considered a full size plane and is much more available. 70mm is the most common size with correspondingly available variety and options. My 55mm is not from a well known maker nor expensive, but I continue to use it on almost every project.

The type of steel you get depends on your usage and types of wood it is intended for. White steel is easy to sharpen, and is suppose to take a finer edge. White steel planes are often recommended for difficult to plane softwoods. Blue steel is more durable so it is recommended for use in moderate hardwoods. Exotic steels and high speed steel is often recommended for tropical and abrasive hardwoods. All of these are just guidelines, and I mostly use my planes on whatever wood is in front of me. Just know you my have to pay for that decision later when resharpening the micro-chips out.

I can't help you too much on blade angle. Most of my planes are set at 39-40 degrees. I have a 45 degree plane, but I have not set it up yet. The standard angle planes can do just fine with difficult to plane woods, if you have the chip breaker set correctly and take a light shaving. Though I have had problems with tear out on heavily flecked quarter sawn california live oak. The bevel angle on most planes is nominally 25 degrees. I did have one plane than frustrated me with deep chipping on every use. I increased the bevel angle to 30 degrees and it has behaved much better.

There is some great information available on the web. Look up the kanna setup series on youtube by Sumokun. Also checkout thecarpentryway (http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.jp) blog by Chris Hall.

David

Stanley Covington
05-15-2015, 7:09 PM
Nakano san in Yoita (Niigata Prefecture) makes a great plane at a very reasonable price. Not mass produced like Tsunesaburo. A great guy to work with too.

Stan

Andrew Gold
05-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Stan
Any leads on where to find Nakano planes? I can only seem to find them for sale at Iada tool, where the prices strike me as insane.

Easily double the cost for the exact same Tsunesburo planes that Stu sells, unless I'm missing something.

Actually, looking further there are lots of his planes on Ebay! Might give one a try. Thanks

Jim Matthews
05-17-2015, 2:56 PM
You'll never go wrong buying a handmade plane.

I use Western woodies, and there's no comparison between the
traditional handmade planes and modern ECE mass produced versions.

They're just better.

Spend the money on what Stan recommends, you'll never regret that choice.
How many pursuits can claim to make art with works of art?

Brian Holcombe
05-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Stan
Any leads on where to find Nakano planes? I can only seem to find them for sale at Iada tool, where the prices strike me as insane.

Easily double the cost for the exact same Tsunesburo planes that Stu sells, unless I'm missing something.

Actually, looking further there are lots of his planes on Ebay! Might give one a try. Thanks

The siren call never stops, just try not to crash your ship.