PDA

View Full Version : Delta RC 33 Planer

Danny Johnson
05-15-2015, 6:08 AM
Does someone have or know where i can get a knife setup jig for this machine, cant find one that will fit in the tight spot where the knifes are. The motor sets over the place that you need to get into and the space is narrow. Thanks

Matt Day
05-15-2015, 7:13 AM
Don't the knives need to be removed to be sharpened?

Charles Taylor
05-15-2015, 7:21 AM
Don't the knives need to be removed to be sharpened?
They do, but the machine came with a gauge for setting the height when they're removed and replaced. Hopefully the OP realizes that the motor assembly can be shifted to the front somewhat, allowing some additional room to get at the cutterhead.

One of the magnetic jigs like the Woodstock Mini-Planer Pal ought to do the trick. But check the dimensions of the jig/gauge to be sure it'll fit before buying it. I don't have one of the magnetic jigs, so don't just take my word for it.

Matt Day
05-15-2015, 8:23 AM
Oops, misread the post. Thought the OP wanted a sharpening jig.

Back on subject, on my 15" jet I use a dial gauge on the bed of the planer to align knives. Not sure if that would work for your rc33.

Chris Wieland
05-15-2015, 10:03 AM
I have a RC-33 and use the planer pals. They just fit - being able to bridge the knife slot and without messing with the motor (I have a 3hp replacement motor). I've been able to dial it in to be within 0.005" (sometimes better) side to side which is perfectly acceptable for a planer. I'm sure I could spend a lot more time and get it better. Attached are the ones I use. They are the small ones which are red. Just google "small knife setting jig" $60.

Metod Alif
05-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Remove the cover on the outfeed side and you have enough space to get to the knives. No need to move the motor. I use the original (saddle type) jig to set the knives. I did fine tune the jig to get a uniform cut across the whole width. That cover can be replaced by a hood for chip collection.
Best wishes,
Metod