PDA

View Full Version : Getting a NON T-square type fence to clamp straight?

Josh Saul
05-15-2015, 12:53 AM
I've been setting up my brand new Grizzly G0771 table saw, and I've been happy with everything about it except for the fence. It's a non-t-square fence where the locking handle in the front pulls down a clamp in the back. So far, I haven't been able to get it to routinely lock down to anything approaching straight.

Of course, I'm willing to accept that this may be user error. In fact, I'm HOPING it's just user error. I've tried loosening the screws that attach the fence to the handle and fine tuning things to where they're parallel with the miter slot. But there's just something about the locking mechanism where it's not pulling the fence straight. It's definitely pulling it tight though - it's rock solid. But is there a proper technique for this that I'm missing? Serious woodworkers seem to be so all-in with t-square fences that there's not a lot of info out there about working with the other kind.

william watts
05-15-2015, 1:18 AM
In the 60's I had a craftsman table saw with a fence that locked down front and back. It would be parallel near the blade but the further away the more off it became, and never it seemed to be the same amount of error. It just seemed very erratic . The trouble turned out to be that the back rail was slightly curved, even though it was a piece of angle iron. That fence design needed the front and back rails to be exactly parallel. You should call Grizzly, they have a good record for cust service.

Britt Lifsey
05-15-2015, 7:28 AM
On my old Craftsman fence, I would use one hand to push the back up tight to the rail and then use other hand to push down on handle. It helped but I would always measure 2 places against blade or a miter slot to be sure before making cut.

Curt Harms
05-15-2015, 7:45 AM
Same here with the Craftsman that locked front & back. Push against the 'head' end while engaging the locking lever. Still wasn't perfect, it was better. I eventually replaced it with a Mule cabinetmaker fence which I still have on a Griz 1023 - which came with a poorly executed Jetlock knockoff.

glenn bradley
05-15-2015, 8:49 AM
Fence calibration is on page 65 of your manual. Are you saying that after performing this process, the fence still does not lock down parallel with the blade? I just want to make sure where we are starting this troubleshooting exercise from.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-15-2015, 8:53 AM
You need a different fence. Way, way back in the old days, I remember the the high schools woodshop uni had a fence like that. Mr. Frost would tell us to push on the front end like Britt said, then measure. More often than not, it was right. I had no idea how unnecessary that all was at the time, thank goodness for biesemeyer.

Josh Saul
05-23-2015, 4:00 PM
After some adjustments, and some practice, I've got the fence on this saw working just fine. Thanks for the tips. It's not a Bies, obviously, but it's locking down straight every time.

glenn bradley
05-23-2015, 5:04 PM
Glad you got it worked out. Any tips for other owners as to what to do?